Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » XPocalypse... hit the deck!
 Author XPocalypse... hit the deck!
Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-02-01 03:38   
Greetings all!

I am facing future upgrade issues with my 2 XP (one Pentium 4 HT and another Sempron) machines and while I am saving up for a new computer (i5 or i7) and OS (probably will use Win 7 ultimate before maybe I will triple boot with Win 8.1 onwards later on if it proves worthwhile in the future and definitely Ubuntu 11 or better but i don't really like 12 : ( ), I have some questions about the community's opinion on running Darkspace on a win XP machine post the MS 'end of Support' deadline in April of this year.

1 - Will it be 'safe' to run a dedicated DS only win xp machine past April of this year?

all other internet and browsing will be confined to Linux Ubuntu 11 which works well enough for me.

2 - Which would be better?

a) running a win xp virtual machine to run DS within ubuntu?

or

b) running DS through WINE on Linux itself?

Does anyone have experience with WINE and DS or running win programs within Ubuntu in a virtual machine. Will the above workarounds be practical or even work? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. : )

I have recently come across an old Sempron 2600+ 2 GB computer which runs on XP and will not be able to run win 7 satisfactorily yet has a decent old NVIDIA 7000 series graphics card which runs DS nice at present on XP.

3 - Will the above GPU's drivers be installable within WINE or a Virtual XP environment? ( I will research this later myself of course but I have grown to respect your opinions on things computery and otherwise and that's why I'm posting this )

4 - What is the community's best advice on continuing to use the Sempron post April of this year to run DS?

Thanking y'all in advance!

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2014-02-01 08:21   
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 03:38, Orkan [OO-XII] wrote:
Greetings all!

I am facing future upgrade issues with my 2 XP (one Pentium 4 HT and another Sempron) machines and while I am saving up for a new computer (i5 or i7) and OS (probably will use Win 7 ultimate before maybe I will triple boot with Win 8.1 onwards later on if it proves worthwhile in the future and definitely Ubuntu 11 or better but i don't really like 12 : ( ), I have some questions about the community's opinion on running Darkspace on a win XP machine post the MS 'end of Support' deadline in April of this year.

1 - Will it be 'safe' to run a dedicated DS only win xp machine past April of this year?

all other internet and browsing will be confined to Linux Ubuntu 11 which works well enough for me.

2 - Which would be better?

a) running a win xp virtual machine to run DS within ubuntu?

or

b) running DS through WINE on Linux itself?

Does anyone have experience with WINE and DS or running win programs within Ubuntu in a virtual machine. Will the above workarounds be practical or even work? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. : )

I have recently come across an old Sempron 2600+ 2 GB computer which runs on XP and will not be able to run win 7 satisfactorily yet has a decent old NVIDIA 7000 series graphics card which runs DS nice at present on XP.

3 - Will the above GPU's drivers be installable within WINE or a Virtual XP environment? ( I will research this later myself of course but I have grown to respect your opinions on things computery and otherwise and that's why I'm posting this )

4 - What is the community's best advice on continuing to use the Sempron post April of this year to run DS?

Thanking y'all in advance!

I clicked on this thread and thought it was something completely different.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-02-01 10:18   
Well.. "XP" ocalypse.. I'll give him props after reading what it was about.

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2014-02-03 11:15   
I have never tried DS, but I used to play Astonia III on Fedora Core using wine. The only issue I had was sometimes the sound wouldn't work, but a restart of the game would fix this... I just put everything in the wine folder. I did a full Yum update to my PC and installed every wine package I could find and added several repositories for additional software support.
-DBS

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2014-02-03 15:59   
We don't support Windows XP anymore what with Microsoft ending support for it.

WINE tends to not work due to the MFC library not being compatible with it, and since GCQL in its entirety is based on MFC, we're not going to be changing it anytime soon.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2014-02-03 16:01 ]

Animyx
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-02-09 21:05   
Thought this would be something else >.>, but imo XP is still a damn good OS to run DS on, ive had no problems with it on my laptop. actually had more problems with my win7 pc.
Best thing would be to try it out, trial and error is usually a good decider.

Lock 'N' Load

Page created in 0.030738 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR