No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Darkspace Revival - Star Citizen - Join Us Now!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Darkspace Revival - Star Citizen - Join Us Now!
Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-03-14 06:29   
Friends, Darkspacians, Metapeople! Lend me your ears...

For long we have toiled in the dark reaches of our 'verse struggling side by side with our compatriots, seeking the battle from which songs were once sung.
Few of us now remain, many have fallen, gone MIA or straight logged off and went AWOL.
There is hope upon the event horizon! New life to be sought and many battles to come.

I seek unity, brotherhood and the continuance of our creed. Let us all ensure we are on the same webpage and have similar preferences enabled on our browsers. Somebody once said:

“Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing, end them...”

Now I may not know what that means but that does not mean it is not damn cool to use it. Jokes aside, Brothers and Sisters let us move forwards together into a bright future let us put past rivalries to rest.

Rather than disappear off in ones and twos and go MIA ourselves, scattered amongst different private servers worldwide let us work together in securing a great foundation for our future, doing the things we enjoy, in all of the worlds we enjoy them in.

Let us rise up and bring life to Darkspace once more so that its latest version can truly live up to it's full potential.
We have all spent much time together in the MV and this is a truly great and talented community, there are rivalries but there are great friendships too. Let us take what we have and move it forward.

Here is the plan:

There is much interest in the upcoming crowd-funded title Star Citizen in this community already but there is much time before its release.

We have formed a presence within Star Citizen. The Myrmidon Legion (TML) and the Interstellar Cultural Confederation (ICC) are two individual Organisations that already exist within Star Citizen. We ask you to join us.

Whether you are K'Luth, UGTO or ICC you are most welcome to join our ranks as we take to the Stars of a parallel persistant universe.

We need you!

Here's where we are and why you should join in what we are trying to achieve.

Phase 1) Setup Organisations within Star Citizen and begin recruiting new members. - Phase Initiated.

Phase 2) Invite the Darkspace community to join us on our journey through Star Citizen and promote Darkspace within Star Citizen prior to its launch. We have a year to do this. Begin by sharing your voice and raising Darkspace's profile to an audience of space combat enthusiasts of 400,000 plus many of whom may well wish to get involved. Keep bumping this link...
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/29133/

Phase 3) Practice and Train Fleet Operations within Darkspace with our Fleet members and new recruits but more importantly invite other Organisations with hundreds to thousands of members to Darkspace where they can truly realise their need for an effective training gound by using Darkspace's unique Fleet Combat model, A model which always will be at it's most effective with 10's of players on each side.

Phase 4) Begin training for Boarding and Planetside Combat Operations within an appropriate First Person Shooter prior to the release of the FPS module.

Phase 5) Begin training in the Dog-Fighting Module (DFM) within Star Citizen or any other appropriate full 3D space combat simulator (eg such as Freespace 2).

These are our aims and we know that we can all have fun, make the most of modern computing but also make use of Darkspace and help give it the playerbase it truly deserves.

Whatever happens we will have fun doing so and know that we went out fighting.

So there it is DS Devs, Mods, Players alike.

Join us, tell your friends, let's represent and make this become a reality.

Join TML & ICC Today!

ICC Star Citizen Website (apply here):
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/ICC

Recruitment Thread:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/103803/interstellar-cultural-confederation-icc-now-recruiting-every-great-tree-springs-from-a-good-seed/p1

FasterThanLight Teamspeak:
Fasterthanlight.teamspeak3.com

Myrmidon Legion website:
Myrmidon.org

Myrmidon Legion Teamspeak:
myrmidonts.org

Myrmidon Legion Star Citizen Website:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/TML

My Email:
Orkanorpatdarkspace@gmail.com

To all of you who have pledged and intend to play Star Citizen regardless please contact me as I would like to speak with you.
For those of you who are interested but are not sure please contact me anyway. Let's work something out. Myrmidon Legion and Faster Than Light have agreed to work together wholeheartedly on this. Remember I don't care if you're Luth, Uggie or Iccy, We go way too far back.

Join us, or die ( : P )

Infinity has just begun...

All my good people,

Sincerely Yours

Orkan. (FTL Operations Officer)

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan [OO-XII] on 2014-03-14 10:47 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2014-03-14 08:16   
that fleet insignia seems vaguely disturbing...

yup, very disturbing.

good luck with this new venture, ML and FTL

[ This Message was edited by: Forger of Destiny on 2014-03-14 08:16 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2014-03-14 10:17   
Glad to see some people remember the game in that thread .

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-03-14 11:28   
Yes that's because c++ is cool++

(do you see what I did there?)

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-03-17 11:37   
Not joining, yet.

But i wish i could have been more active on RSI with star citizen, but if i can't even find time for lobbycamping. then i guess the best i can do is read the weekly comlinks of RSI.
For now, ill just say i got more then just the following:

Rykros1987
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-03-17 22:45   
I hear you get to gank obsidian daily if you join....

Dkm
Marshal

Posted: 2014-03-18 08:54   
Expensive game, I think you`ll need a lot of money for in-game "staff" and computing power in order to enjoy it. Packs starting with 30$ and ending at 15.000$, minimum specs only for the "hangar module" 8gb of RAM, quad core processor, DX 11, 1Gb graphic card... o_O.
Anyhow, great project can`t wait to see the "final product"

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-03-18 13:52   
Yes Eledore, I see you know what you like! : )

Quote:
On 2014-03-18 08:54, Dkm wrote:
Expensive game, I think you`ll need a lot of money for in-game "staff" and computing power in order to enjoy it. Packs starting with 30$ and ending at 15.000$, minimum specs only for the "hangar module" 8gb of RAM, quad core processor, DX 11, 1Gb graphic card... o_O.
Anyhow, great project can`t wait to see the "final product"

I have done a lot of research on this. I do not like games where you are fleeced of money in order to play or have to invest a great amount of time. Where the game is just a side project, an afterthought to making money for its developers.

This is different.

Now Star Citizen is in the 'crowd-funding' (raising money for its development) stage.
That is why the packs cost so much as they are seeking wealthy backers to fund this project.

a $30 Dollar game package is all you need to spend to buy the game and play it for as long as it will exist. There will be no subscription. All ships and 'stuff' can be bought with in-game currency. You will not need to spend another penny after that.

People who wish to put real money in CAN buy things but that will only save them time and not give them a 'skill' advantage. There are no levels, no skills to grind. Only your skill as a Pilot and ability in a First Person Combat Role. Whatever you choose to do with your time. All ships are fit for a purpose and role and their is no one best ship. They each serve a purpose. At the end of the day people 'invest' big money into this project because they can see that it is a labour of love and a project well worth supporting. People always fund projects that they support. They have raised $40,000,000 dollars so far with 400,000 backers, that's an average of about 100 dollars a head. It seems some people are quite happy to support this project and it is a first in the history of game design.

Now For $30 dollars you can buy 2 seperate games, Squadron 42 (single player campaign)and Star Citizen (the sandbox, persistant universe) itself, You also get a ship to fly in and you also get Alpha and beta access and get to be involved in the projects development. Your feedback is important as it helps shape and iron out problems in the game prior to release. Have a good idea about the game, suggest it and it may well be implemented if the Devs agree with it. Similarly to Darkspace the game has an unprecedent amount of Developer/backer input/output. You cannot tell the main Games Publishers what they should do with their game and how they should do it. Here you can.

Those who are sceptical will say that it is because they wish to save money or keep it for themselves, save on costs, whatever. People are free to believe what they like, They have hired 200 staff to work on the game including eminent artists such as Ryan Church, Kemp Remillard and David Hobbins. The modding community are also involved in designing ships and later upon release some ships designed by the modding community in use on various private Star Citizen servers will be given the chance to be included in the persistant universe itself. Even though the CryEngine is a heavily 'controlled' design environment this is a great opportunity for people who are interested in ship design to showcase their talent.

Link to The Next Great Starship - Ship Design Compettion - The Winning team has their deign implemented in the Persistant Universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scvwN6u2mwM

Upon release each of the games may well cost $60 each. You will receive a starter ship but you will be paying full price for the games release. There will be no subscription although many ships will probably continue to be available for larger prices for those who wish to fast track and have access to larger ships earlier.

By all means don't believe what I am saying if you are sceptical, research it for yourself.

Considering the price and cost to be involved in many modern Computer games the limited $30 offer is very reasonable but there are only 5,000 or so places left at this price. I know I have spent more on worse games in the past so this is a bargain to me. I also subscribe to Darkspace at $5 a month so it is financially the same as a 6 month Darkspace subscription. I subscribe because I wish to support this game as I have always enjoyed it and I see its potential that a larger playerbase would allow it to achieve. In the end I will have spent more money on DS than I will on Star Citizen. That however is my choice.

Star Citizen is a modern game built for the next generation of computers, yes it will be hardware intensive but it will set the benchmark for gaming/simulations in the future. It will also be able to play it with a quad core processor with a decent graphics card and 8gb Ram on low settings according to the currently published requirements. Things may be set to change, recommended specs most probably, but this game will be the next standard for the next ten years and computers will continue to improve and decrease in price. Now is a good time to get involved.

I also see it as a chance to promote Darkspace to people interested in Fleet Combat Operations. There is still a year until release and people are playing all kinds of games to fill the time. Darkspace has the potential to benefit from players who hear about it and decide to try it out that would otherwise have never heard of it. I think that is worth supporting also.

Please consider my initial proposal, join us in this endeavour and all parties can benefit.

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan [OO-XII] on 2014-03-18 14:48 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Senti-Onikawa
Admiral

Posted: 2014-03-21 08:39   
I was asked to reply by Orkan, so I will. What I got from the idea as it was presented to me a few nights ago was that a bunch of us would join star citizen, talk to other players about trying DS, and hope for the best. Simply put, this won't work. Yes, I realize I'm being negative and should look at things from a positive angle, but it's relying on people *wanting* to enjoy DS the same way we all do: by hard work and uniting under the same banner (depending on what faction you're loyal to). The problem with most modern gamers is that they don't want to work hard for what they gain. They do it in the real world (most days) so why should they have to in the fantasy world?

Another problem with the idea is that Dark Space went from a full-release project funded by a sponsor, fully maintained by the original dev studio, and even had a commercial release through gamestop and other places. Now, it's more/less been abandoned by everyone except a select few for one reason or another. As the sci-fi/space combat genre became much more mainstream and the demand grew, DS started to see it's previous momentum slow down. What our developers (the ones who still actively work on the game, Bless you, gentlemen) would have to do before players migrated over to our "secret club" is promise things in x amount of time. They can't do that and as understaffed as they are, it would either be extremely difficult to meet a deadline or just wouldn't happen. People would eventually lose interest again and DS would "die" once more.

The same goes for crowd-funding the game. We would need to get the word out to everyone on what DS is, what we're attempting to do, and have the developers promise things they might not be able to come through with. No, I am not saying that the developers are lazy or incompetent but much rather that they're swamped with work as it is and even if they got a fully backing by someone like EA or Sony, they would still need to hire the people, train them, and hope for the best. DS at it's core while seemingly simple might be a bit more.

This game, Dark Space, stands out on it's own IMO. You *could* call it the first space combat simulator (There have been ones that existed before it, I'm sure) and an "original concept" that all could enjoy, but you have to take a moment and step back, too. From any casual gamer's perspective, the game is dated, doesn't do what other space-combat sims do, and quite honestly can't compete in today's market. I love this game as much as the next player, but if the game is "dead" then it's because it's time has come and gone. You can't do anything about the passage of time except be a part of it.

Personally, Dark Space isn't dead. Sure, we don't have 200-600 players on at a time, but that's fine. If people join in the future then even better. Right now, I don't mind it being 10v10 because it gives everyone a fair chance to contribute to the in-game action and earn their way. What will happen when 200 come to play, find they're outclassed by higher-ranking players, and are essentially "cannon fodder" to the real "heroes" of this game? Most will probably quit. So, let us be small for now and if we do pick up some momentum in the future, let it be slow and steady.

\"That's a good question... I wish I had an answer.\"

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-03-21 20:00   
Quote:
On 2014-03-21 08:39, Senti-Onikawa wrote:
wall of text that doesnt need to be quoted verbatim

i don't know about you but i'm pretty sure an army of scouts would make mincemeat out of dreads and cruisers any day. it'd turn into scout space
[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2014-03-21 21:15 ]

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-03-27 19:31   
I like the idea of scout wolfpacks around, would be good for the quiet times. With the variety of ships available in 1.7 even a fleet made up of corvettes and frigates would make for interesting gameplay.

I am talking to people and letting people know about DS. Both in chat and in forums.

Thanks also for those who got in touch with me about this. Momentum is growing...

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Antic
Cadet

Posted: 2014-05-16 18:40   
Firstly I want to thank Orkan for pointing out to me that Darkspace, a game I loved back in the days, is still alive and kicking!

I must say that I'm really excited about Star Citizen. The project is really in a league of its own.

I read the comments about crowdfunding posted here so i must point out that Star Citizen was fully funded at 21 million dollars. Without any need for any publishers or investors to back it. The rest after that is gravy. Today its at 43,736,860 and still rising. So that's a lot of gravy. The extra money is used to execute the initial vision of the game in a much more profound way and to make sure we get it faster. They do this by having a lot of studious around the world with great veteran game developer talent working on different parts of the games simultaneously. They have also brought in talent from the movie industry as Chris Roberts have spent years as a Movie Director and producer (lord of war among other movies). Thats also why immersion is so important to Chris when he designs Star Citizen and why they go for "full performance casting" for animations and cutscenes.

Here's some examples on studios involved just to give you an idea of the scope of the project.

CIG Santa Monica in California is the head office with the CEO and legendary creator of the Wing Commander games, Chris Roberts. They are currently working on the Arena Commander dog fighting module to be released in a couple of weeks. Writers for the storyline etc works here.

CIG Foundry 42 in the UK are lead by Chris brother Erin Roberts and they are working on the single player portion of the game plus capital ship gameplay for the persistent uninverse.

CIG Austin Texas Were the ones that focused on the Hangar module that's already released and they keep that one updated with new content. They also work on the Arena Commander module to integrate that module with the Hangar base platform. They do the server back end work here as well. Full performance casting is being done here to make very movielike cutscenes for the game and very authentic animations. Audio is also being worked on here. The Designteam has a huge presence here as well, the ones who comes up with game mechanics pretty much.

CGBot in Mexico work on crafting starship models. They are known for making models and animation for scifi movies so their quality of work is really high.

Void Alpha in Emeryville California works on Planetside module content. Landing locations. Cities and so fourth.

Illfonic in Los Angeles works on the FPS module. For zero G combat and ship boarding plus combat on space stations and eventually ground combat.

Behaviour Interactive Montreal Canada is working on the economic simulation, a huge undertaking and building a real in game Operating system for the holographic "mobiglass" that players will have on their arms much like mobile phones or tablets of the future. The holographic Head up displays that will be part of ships, helmets and suits. They are also working on room systems and such that helps making design of locations easier. They are also making the character creation tools for players to design their characters and for the level designers to use to create in game NPCs.

Turbulent Montreal Canada is working on the different community platforms for the game. Like the website, the chat, the organisation system that recently launched (Fleets or guilds) and the back end of that so the information will exist both on the web, tablets, mobile devices and in the game at the same time. They are also designing leaderboards for Arena Commander and stuff like that.

Moon Collider Edinburgh Scotland are working on the AI for Star Citizen. They have recently developed the powerful AI middleware Kythera that they will be implementing into Star Citizen. Its a perfect fit for them as Star Citizen is such an ambitious project so they will be able to show off so many aspects of Kythera AI implementation in the same project.

So as you guys can see, Star Citizen is serious business and the extra money they attained post the fully funded level has meant that they can bring in more studios to work on more parts of the game simultaneously. So it got past the "small studio in a garage" stage more than a year ago. All this without the need to sell out to a publisher or investor. The transparency towards the community is top notch. Here's an example of the monthly report for April with some videos from many of these studios. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13848-Monthly-Report-April-2014
They also have a TV Show every Monday on Youtube where the CEO Chris answers questions from the forum. On Wednesday every week they have the Wingmans Hangar TV show with insights into production and humorous shenanigans. Fridays they send the TV show "The Next Great Starship" Where they have a Reality show where teams of talanted people from the community complete creating a starship for the final game.

Heres their Youtube channel with all the recordings. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA

So if you haven't already you should really look into Star Citizen. As Orkan pointed out, due to hundreds of thousands of space game fans gathering for this project it is an excellent place to spread awareness about Darkspace and make sure more people come join this community as well.
[ This Message was edited by: Antic on 2014-05-16 18:52 ]

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2014-05-16 19:00   
I'd say come join Space Warriors but we're still setting things up, and we're going to be pretty selective for awhile until we get some things built up. But, we are willing to work with other organizations that come from DS for now.

+=Nemesis
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-05-19 16:42   
I just came to say hi and inform you that i'm building a Greek Organization in Star Citizen and i look forward to make alliances for Star Citizen through Dark Space. You can contact us here:
http://www.hac-virtual.org/ARGO/index.php

[ This Message was edited by: Kratas on 2014-05-19 16:44 ]

http://www.argo.hac-virtual.org/index.php

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-05-19 19:14   
wouldnt mind checking it out but i dont think my pc will play it.

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024971 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR