No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Small ship/missle suggestion
 Author Small ship/missle suggestion
Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-03-31 19:18   
So I usually play this game on my laptop, which has some pretty terrible horsepower, even for basic things. When there are just a lot of ships around and no missles or fighters flying around I get a solid 30-40fps. However, when there are some ships that are using missles and fighters I get anywhere from 5-15fps.

Perhaps instead of rendering each individual missle, the game could be altered so that 8 different [Harpex missles] would combine upon launch into [Harpex Missle] (8) so that only one missle is being rendered but the players still know that there are 8 missles in that group.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-03-31 19:57   
I don't think that's enough. Missiles and fighters should be roll based. No fancy graphics or flying missile to take up valuable server resources. Just have a little pair of dice roll on your screen and if you get a 6 or below you get "hit" and the damage is applied, if you get a 7 or above you "dodge" the missiles and avoid the damage. Simple!

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-03-31 20:16   
Quote:
On 2014-03-31 19:57, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
I don't think that's enough. Missiles and fighters should be roll based. No fancy graphics or flying missile to take up valuable server resources. Just have a little pair of dice roll on your screen and if you get a 6 or below you get "hit" and the damage is applied, if you get a 7 or above you "dodge" the missiles and avoid the damage. Simple!

We EVE now.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2014-03-31 21:13   
missiles are already very low poly objects, but you might fiddling with the missile/fighter trail length slider in the client setup on video options tab. dropping the partical/explosion detail slider might also help.

both are easier and quicker options than re-coding all the the missile objects.
and grouping 8 missiles into one cluster as you suggest doesnt really help much.the server still has to track all N missions (what if a ship only fires 6, or 2. or fires one at a time ever few seconds), and the client still has to track them as well for PD purposes, not to mention rendering them so the player has a chance of avoiding them. and those missiles each come from a slightly different point in space, even if the ship that launched them is sitting still, so they all take ever-so-slightly different paths to the target

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446932/Darkspace/Screenshots/iccMDfleet13.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446932/Darkspace/Screenshots/0002.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446932/Darkspace/Screenshots/00000048.jpg
kind makes you wonder....
[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2014-03-31 21:24 ]

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-03-31 23:30   
Quote:
On 2014-03-31 21:13, Doran wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446932/Darkspace/Screenshots/00000048.jpg

I miss that station layout so much

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-04-01 06:19   
Quote:
On 2014-03-31 19:57, Chewy Squirrel wrote:

I would like to make the motion that we convert DS into a text based adventure. This will then allow those people still running the IBM XTs, Commodore 64s and Atari 800XLs to enjoy the enriching experience that is the Darkspace universe.

Who could possibly say no to getting some real old timers into the game, right?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2014-04-01 06:19 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2014-04-01 06:54   
im in favour of grouping missiles into clusters.

server needs to track trajectory of only one smart object, instead of 10 (thats what most missile ships shoot at a time, lets face it). clustering missiles would make processing times for skirmish missile salvos lesser by a factor of 6-10 (some people mix and match).

on the point of variations in missile paths, currently almost every ship fires missiles in one direction (hive fires in 2, but rarely encountered) and the initial firing locations are pretty close too (within a span of 1-4 gu). add to this the idea that missiles are meant for distant targets (500 gu and upto 2500), and you end up with being able to approximate multiple missile paths with a single one.

tl;dr - clustering is a good idea. would like to see it used in the future for missiles and even cannonfire to reduce processing power needs.

Quote:

^^
[ This Message was edited by: Forger of Destiny on 2014-04-01 06:57 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-04-01 08:12   
Quote:
On 2014-04-01 06:19, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
I would like to make the motion that we convert DS into a text based adventure. This will then allow those people still running the IBM XTs, Commodore 64s and Atari 800XLs to enjoy the enriching experience that is the Darkspace universe.

As someone who still owns a C64, an IBM XT, a Co-Co, and even a TRS-80 I resent your sarcasm.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-04-01 09:34   
Quote:
On 2014-04-01 06:19, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

You are not helping kenny.
Now i have a real reason to keep my Wang 2200 CS around.
And hey i still got a working XT 588.

But on topic, darkspace is a skill based game. (no not that statistical skill crap other roll-dice games use)
Noticing the incoming missiles, turning your better armor to take them. Heck small ships can Dodge missiles, roll/dice would just toss all those player skills away.

[edit]
Helping doran with extra pictures
Fighter bombing
Early Beta Fighter Spam

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore Massis [R33] on 2014-04-01 09:39 ]

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-04-03 12:51   
Did someone say Atari 800XL? That was my first tape drive computer right there, half an hour loading a game was no joke and if it misread towards the end or chewed the tape, I got busy with the pencil and was not in a good mood...

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan [OO-XII] on 2014-04-03 12:52 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Page created in 0.015757 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR