No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » where is everyone?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author where is everyone?
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2014-05-03 13:16   
As it was stated, there is really too much "Space" to fight in, and not enough player base to keep it going good. Doran has the right idea in a much smaller scaled down MV.

As for the MV Fattierob showed us, that was a great set up at the time, but of course we had around 10-20 players per faction on at any given time with battles ranging from 20 to 60 players in one battle. We simply dont have those numbers at this current time.

I vote for a scaled back MV, the one Doran posted here, at least until we can get our active player base re-established. Once we have more stable numbers, we can start expanding the MV little by little, not in a huge 10x size increase.

Just my thoughts.

Email UnknownWarrior
Bizaro
Marshal

Posted: 2014-05-03 14:44   
I agree we need a smaller map for the current player base , This huge map we currently have it just way tooo big.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-05-04 12:00   
I'm never impressed when games boast about how large their universe is, because unless it's filled with people, it's just going to be desolate and boring.

Hopefully they can put a smaller map in place for the time being, and implement pres loss dampening when a team is vastly outnumbered so the guys stacking are punished a tad.

Larger teams with nobody on the other sides could earn less prestige like so:
Average players per team = (team1+team2+team3)/3
Modifier = MIN(YourTeamSize/AverageTeamSize, 1)

So
if teams were 5v5v5, modifier would be 1 for all teams
if teams were 0v5v5, modifier would be 0.66 for both active teams
if teams were 0v0v5, modifier would be 0.33 for the one active team
if teams were 1v5v8, modifier would be 1, 0.93, 0.58 respectively

Would this encourage more even teams or just piss people off?

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2014-05-05 00:12   
Isn't this the same thing we talk about every two years or so? We'll change it to smaller and people will eventually bitch for a larger map. Then they'll bitch for a smaller map, and so on until the end of time.

Make up your minds, folks

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-05-05 00:54   
The problem is lack of players. The map is fine. Its size is just right. The problem is lack of players. It always comes down to this. People tend to gravitate to one side because it is great fun cooperating in a large fleet to roll things over. You need a large fleet to effectively fill all the roles. Plus a lot of us know each other and want to play together on the same side. Even if we used to be on different sides in the past.
The play frequency of veteran DS players are bound to rise and fall at times no doubt peak and then wane. It is easy for interest to wane if there are no players to fight against or play with and so we come full circle.

If there is no way of telling the world that DS exists there can only remain those that know of it. Those that know of it will eventually tire and move on or die of old age and so be unable to log on again.

The game needs promotion. There are hundreds of thousands of people playing criminally inept pieces of browser based code the names of which I shall not lower myself to mention who would be a lot happier if they knew of this game's existance. Some may join and leave only to leave and play something else some however will stay and stay for a long time.

This game would be ideal with 10-20 active players per faction online 24/7. That means 60 players online at one time on the weekends to begin with. To achieve that you would probably need 200 new players who stick around. I truly hope for a renaissance. I am doing my bit to spread the word but I am one person and really it's none of my business.

Maybe I am missing something. Either this game wants to attract more players or it does not. If it does then action must be taken and effort expended. If not then we must reconcile ourselves to the fact that it seems that this is simply someone's pet project and we are merely people who saw a playground that appealed to our ideas of a great space game but did not realise that perhaps the games developers had surrendered to using it as a place to practice their coding so they can put it on their CV/resume for later use. I don't want to believe that. DS is a labour of love. The staff are voluntary. Let's make a push and get more people aboard.

I do apologise for sounding so pessimistic about how things seem for DS but I simply see no attempt to attract new players which are the lifeblood of any game. The model is here, the structure is here, everything is in place for it to be a success as some worse games make their developers money. On many occaisions you can only come to know of Darkspace if you know the name of the game beforehand. There are only so many fans of a certain deathmetal band that shares the name that will want to play...

This game needs exposure outside of itself and that requires time, effort and possibly funds to acquire new players on behalf of the developers. If that is not forthcoming then its fate is sealed as that of a small star. With no more fuel it will burn out and fade away.

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-05-05 02:41   
This game is in exactly the same boat as Allegiance.
Only a few veterans hang around, new players come and go regularly.

There's just no easy solution, the game is dated and rough around the edges.
It's unforgiving and confusing as hell on account of the lack of hand-holding.

What I want to know is what brought all the players to Darkspace and Allegiance all those years ago, when there were hundreds of active players.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2014-05-05 04:50   
Quote:
On 2014-05-05 02:41, Fluttershy wrote:
This game is in exactly the same boat as Allegiance.
Only a few veterans hang around, new players come and go regularly.

There's just no easy solution, the game is dated and rough around the edges.
It's unforgiving and confusing as hell on account of the lack of hand-holding.

What I want to know is what brought all the players to Darkspace and Allegiance all those years ago, when there were hundreds of active players.

Back then it was the lack of the niche market of space MMO's for me. Was pretty much just Freelancer and EvE, and DS mentioned to me on an obscure game called A Tractor, and I've been here ever since.

Now there are a lot of space MMO's on the market, most with beautiful graphics and a more modern feel to it. Lets face it, Darkspace is getting old. Our gal needs a makeover, and soon.

Renovamen
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2014-05-05 09:17   
Quote:
On 2014-05-05 00:54, Orkan [OO-XII] wrote:
The problem is lack of players. The map is fine. Its size is just right. The problem is lack of players. It always comes down to this. People tend to gravitate to one side because it is great fun cooperating in a large fleet to roll things over. You need a large fleet to effectively fill all the roles. Plus a lot of us know each other and want to play together on the same side. Even if we used to be on different sides in the past.
The play frequency of veteran DS players are bound to rise and fall at times no doubt peak and then wane. It is easy for interest to wane if there are no players to fight against or play with and so we come full circle.

If there is no way of telling the world that DS exists there can only remain those that know of it. Those that know of it will eventually tire and move on or die of old age and so be unable to log on again.

The game needs promotion. There are hundreds of thousands of people playing criminally inept pieces of browser based code the names of which I shall not lower myself to mention who would be a lot happier if they knew of this game's existance. Some may join and leave only to leave and play something else some however will stay and stay for a long time.

This game would be ideal with 10-20 active players per faction online 24/7. That means 60 players online at one time on the weekends to begin with. To achieve that you would probably need 200 new players who stick around. I truly hope for a renaissance. I am doing my bit to spread the word but I am one person and really it's none of my business.

Maybe I am missing something. Either this game wants to attract more players or it does not. If it does then action must be taken and effort expended. If not then we must reconcile ourselves to the fact that it seems that this is simply someone's pet project and we are merely people who saw a playground that appealed to our ideas of a great space game but did not realise that perhaps the games developers had surrendered to using it as a place to practice their coding so they can put it on their CV/resume for later use. I don't want to believe that. DS is a labour of love. The staff are voluntary. Let's make a push and get more people aboard.

I do apologise for sounding so pessimistic about how things seem for DS but I simply see no attempt to attract new players which are the lifeblood of any game. The model is here, the structure is here, everything is in place for it to be a success as some worse games make their developers money. On many occaisions you can only come to know of Darkspace if you know the name of the game beforehand. There are only so many fans of a certain deathmetal band that shares the name that will want to play...

This game needs exposure outside of itself and that requires time, effort and possibly funds to acquire new players on behalf of the developers. If that is not forthcoming then its fate is sealed as that of a small star. With no more fuel it will burn out and fade away.

Spot on!

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2014-05-05 09:50   
Quote:
On 2014-05-05 00:12, Crim wrote:
Isn't this the same thing we talk about every two years or so? We'll change it to smaller and people will eventually bitch for a larger map. Then they'll bitch for a smaller map, and so on until the end of time.

Make up your minds, folks

they just have no sense of history.

1.480 circa 2002-03. look familier?

1.481 which is about the largest the mv has ever been. same number of systems (+/-2) as the current mv, and more planets to boot.

1.482 late 2004 or so IIRC. 482 didnt last long in comparison

1.483 which was (among other things) so messed up, that to fix it we had to skip 484 and go right to

1.5 this mv lasted thru 1.6, with changes to sag because some people didnt like [insert faction here] being right next to [insert other faction here] or being able to sneak around and hit [insert third faction here], and wanted a more limited sag that funneled everyone into a central system.

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2014-05-05 09:58 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-05-05 11:15   
What exactly is this game missing in the graphics department anyhow?

The HUD is rather plain, and maybe that's part of it, but idk what else could be enhanced.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2014-05-05 19:15   
Quote:
On 2014-05-05 11:15, Fluttershy wrote:
What exactly is this game missing in the graphics department anyhow?

The HUD is rather plain, and maybe that's part of it, but idk what else could be enhanced.

A lot. Go look at the models, textures, and sprites.

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2014-05-05 21:13   
I migrated to Darkspace back when the Freespace 2 Multiplayer Servers were shut down and Starcraft Multiplayer began experiencing issues with hackers. I found DS by chance off a google search.

Started playing in 2002 and just never left. I loved the teamwork this game had to offer, the helpful tips and the simple unbreakable friendships. Darkspace is set apart, sure it doesn't stand a chance in graphics like EvE, but what it makes up for is the close bonds the players forge here simply because its a smaller player base.

Email UnknownWarrior
-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2014-05-06 00:20   
If you nerf all the "OP", then no one wants to play anymore...
-DBS

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2014-05-06 05:02   
no matter what, game is on life support. ive seen few good suggestions and i think if 'masters' wish this game to live again, will do something about it... its all been said before and i wont waste words and write long posts.

to everything is a solution if there is a wish.

good luck

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2014-05-06 10:18   

here is a super fashionable HUD design from famus fashionistas from france

[ This Message was edited by: Ravendark on 2014-05-06 10:19 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021414 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR