Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Jameason
14th - Random Axis

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Planet PD
 Author Planet PD
Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-02-24 22:18   
I decided to try playing the game today on a whim because I felt like building something. There were no unbuilt planets in the MV, so I went about bombing the enemy planets that were in the K'luth home system. As I did so I came across a few planets that had plenty of defense and anti bomb bases sprinkled all over them, and it struck me just how little effect the bases were having on my bombing.

The uselessness of planetary PD is something that's been bugging me for a while, and I wanted to see if anyone could come up with some ideas to make it less so.

My personal solution is to institute a penalty stacking system. Instead of each base adding a set reduction in bomb damage, each base would still remove a percentage of the damage, but it would be stacked with all the other bases.

Say for instance a base in the current system gave 10% PD value to the planet. That would mean each base would take off 10% of any incoming damage. So if there were two bases, 20% of the damage would be removed: 100% - (2 * 10%) = 80%, which means only 80% of the damage gets through. If there were nine bases it would be 100% - (9 *10%) = 10%, which means only 10% of the damage gets through, or in other words it takes ten times as many bombs to do the same amount of damage.

In my system lets again say each base rated for 10% PD. If you put one base on, it would take 10% of the damage away just as a base would now. However, if there were two bases they wouldn't take away 20% of the damage like they do now, but instead would only take 19%. 100% * ( .9^2), or 81%. If there were nine bases it would be 100% * (.9^9) or 39%.

My reasons for this system are twofold. Most notably, with our current system it is possible to make planets which are immune to bombs since you can add up enough PD to reach 100%. With an exponential stacking system this becomes technically impossible. You can reach very close to 100%, but you'll never actually get there because of the way the math works.

This means that even if the PD each base gave was as high as 50% you still wouldn't be able to make a planet invulnerable. It does mean, though, that having only three bases on a planet would give you an impressive 87% damage reduction. If you compare that to our current best PD base, you would only be getting 18% reduction.

So, basically, with a system of diminishing returns you could allow PD bases to have much higher PD values because the more bases you put, the less useful each base is. That also means, though, that having only a few bases on the planet would give a significant reduction to incoming damage, wheras now you need to devote almost the entire planet to PD to negate even half the damage. This way you can add a few anti-bomb bases to the planet to make it have a realistic chance to survive bombing, while also leaving enough space to build other things, unlike how the system works now.

TL:DR - change the system from additive to multiplicative stacking, then greatly buff the base PD values for much more useful planet PD.

Any other systems are welcome, this is just the only one I can think of.
[ This Message was edited by: Incinarator on 2016-03-04 15:16 ]

Jhomes
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-02-27 06:10   
yes i like that idea very much. In sort of the same topic, i think bombs recharge time is far to fast. around 2 seconds (slightly more or less depending on the ship size) for MIRV bomb is same recharge time as kluth fastest PD beam. Currently a player that needs to bomb will use a transport or a frigate. If 2 bomb slots is all thts needed to get a planet ready for invasion, then why ever use a bomber dreadnought of any type. I think combine incins ideas and change MIRV and luthy equiv bombs recharge time from the current 2 seconds to around 8 or 10 seconds.

Also planet seige missiles have always bugged me as well. Nobody ever uses them cause long charge times, they r somwhat inaccurate and with MIRVS there is no need. Why not fit these into a similar category as seige torps for bombers, meaning have them still ackwardly work for attacking planets but at same time they can function as a ship to ship combat missile. Most bomber ships have few bombing slots for these missiles so they could be made to fire like skirmish missiles. Let them maybe fire in bursts on 5 from each slot, with an appropriatly large number for their recharge times and damage to be split between the 5 projectiles fired each round. This would allow the bomber ships missiles not getting easily PD by enemy ships since an offensive single fire missile from a bomber with 3 slots only would be useless. Then add a version for the k luthiers and could be a fun change.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2016-03-04 11:41   
I like that idea, it would go a long way to making planets not utterly useless like they currently are since planetary dictors got neutered.

PSMs have a small AOE, or at least they did. Nobody used them because they were bugged and would blow up before even reaching a planet, but it's been a while since I was last able to play so I'm not sure if that was fixed or not. Only thing PSMs were good for back then was taking chunks out of infantry stacks.

Page created in 0.007784 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR