No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [Request] Website Suggestions
 Author [Request] Website Suggestions
SnipeDragon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-05-15 18:08   
Hello,

I feel as if I should start off by introducing myself. My name is Spencer, I go by SnipeDragon around here. As of today, I have joined the development staff as a website developer. I have set myself some short term and long term projects that I will be detailing further along in this post, these do not include the existing web-related to-do list that I will start working on as well.

I have played DarkSpace since 2005, off and on, in recent years checking back every month or so to see what is going on. I believe that I have reached the point in my life where I am ready to give back to this community which had a large role in my day-to-day life for many years. While I was never active on the forums, I made quite a few friends through the game and am excited to be able to help.

Back on topic though, my short-term projects are as follows:

1) Familiarize myself with the code and fix any critical problems on the to-do list.
2) Make the Kill Board link to user profiles for the killer and killed parties.

My long term goal is a complete rework of the DarkSpace website, bringing it up to current standards. Responsive, Mobile-Friendly and providing every function that the existing website allows for.

Obviously, my long term goal is pretty far off, but I hope to start laying the groundwork for such changes starting immediately.

In the meantime though, I would like to ask everyone who is still around to post any suggestions they have that relate directly to the website, be it a cosmetic or a functional addition or modification, every suggestion helps. Based on your suggestions and the feedback received with those suggestions, I will begin adding projects to my short-term to-do list.

Thank you for your time,
Spencer
SnipeDragon
[ This Message was edited by: SnipeDragon on 2016-05-15 23:07 ]

Email SnipeDragon
Riley!
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-05-15 19:37   
Congrats Snipe!

By trade I'm a web developer so If you wanna bounce some ideas around or need help with anything, then I'm more then willing to offer it. I actually have a nearly complete working concept of a darkspace website redesign i've been messing around with for the past couple of months. If you'd like to take a gander and maybe use a few of the ideas (or all of them, i dont care) in your own approach, please let me know.

SnipeDragon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-05-15 20:43   
Quote:
On 2016-05-15 19:37, Riley! wrote:
Congrats Snipe!

By trade I'm a web developer so If you wanna bounce some ideas around or need help with anything, then I'm more then willing to offer it. I actually have a nearly complete working concept of a darkspace website redesign i've been messing around with for the past couple of months. If you'd like to take a gander and maybe use a few of the ideas (or all of them, i dont care) in your own approach, please let me know.

Thank you and that would be awesome. I am always willing to discuss ideas and would love to see your concept. So far, I have a few ideas myself, but the more the merrier.

Email SnipeDragon
A Shadow
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2016-05-16 07:32   
Other than the obvious changes, please remove the search button, and make a dedicated button for searching players. Remove the events bar, or actually make it useful.
[ This Message was edited by: Hisnitch on 2016-05-16 09:58 ]

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2016-05-16 12:14   
i like Dev Tracker pages, not that we have any devs to track

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

SnipeDragon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-05-16 22:12   
Quote:
On 2016-05-16 07:32, Hisnitch wrote:
Other than the obvious changes, please remove the search button, and make a dedicated button for searching players. Remove the events bar, or actually make it useful.

Good idea for the search bar, to be fair, the google search option used to be quite a bit more useful, but in the last few years searching in a single site also returns results from, well, everywhere. I'll add a player search feature in its place.

As for the event bar, part of the reason I volunteered is to get events going again, I'll be posting another topic on that later.

Quote:
On 2016-05-16 12:14, Mersenne Twister wrote:
i like Dev Tracker pages, not that we have any devs to track

I like dev trackers as well, perhaps I'll start with a web development tracker but add the functionality to expand the system to include game development for when it is needed.

Email SnipeDragon
-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2016-05-17 17:56   
A vauge suggestion off the top of my head:

To appeal to people who just discovered this website, it might be helpful to see more of what this game is about on the home page. Maybe a better description, and maybe some links to cool youtube videos. Guytons awesome trailers would be a great candidate: https://www.youtube.com/user/Guyton267/videos

EDIT it looke like Guyton took down quite a few of the DS videos he made...shame, they were amazing.
[ This Message was edited by: -xTc- on 2016-05-17 18:10 ]

EDIT Another idea, maybe expand the scope of the killboard: It could show who has played today, who is currently online, which planets were recently caputred, who has made the most prestige today, who has killed the most players today, etc. Players like seeing stats, especially in a slightly competitive/ranked/e-peen sense.

Are such things possible?

EDIT Another minor suggestion, in the "edit profile" window, the "reset rank" button is suspicuiosly close to the "save changes" button..... maybe that should be changed, lmao

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-05-17 20:01   
Can you delete players? Is that a website suggestion? I vote you get rid of this Pantheon guy, total jerk!

SnipeDragon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-05-18 22:00   
Quote:
On 2016-05-17 20:01, Pantheon wrote:
Can you delete players? Is that a website suggestion? I vote you get rid of this Pantheon guy, total jerk!

If that is what you want, we can make a big, red "DO NOT PUSH" button for you on your profile, every time you click on it, you get another message, "WE TOLD YOU NOT TO PUSH IT." until eventually, it just deletes your account. "Your account has been deleted, your prestige and accolades have been distributed equally amongst the active players. Thanks for playing the 'DO NOT PUSH' game."

Email SnipeDragon
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-05-20 14:31   
Quote:
On 2016-05-18 22:00, SnipeDragon wrote:
Quote:
On 2016-05-17 20:01, Pantheon wrote:

If that is what you want, we can make a big, red "DO NOT PUSH" button for you on your profile, every time you click on it, you get another message, "WE TOLD YOU NOT TO PUSH IT." until eventually, it just deletes your account. "Your account has been deleted, your prestige and accolades have been distributed equally amongst the active players. Thanks for playing the 'DO NOT PUSH' game."

10/10 would play that game.

I'd like to see some brighter colours. A black and grey colour scheme is so... uninviting and dull. I want to be excited to play DarkSpace! (Lack of dev updates nothwithstanding.)

Page created in 0.021314 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR