No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Can We Revert?
 Author Can We Revert?
Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2016-11-04 20:38   
I doubt we could because people have been saying it for years, but can we revert to the old patches or at least put the game in Scenario mode? I really miss playing this old beast heck since running around Twitch playing indie games I kinda had the feel to recover my old account then pick up DS. To be honest this game was huge it just needs the right vision to start back up again

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2016-11-04 22:05   
Quote:
On 2016-11-04 20:38, Guyton (Angel of Death) wrote:
I doubt we could because people have been saying it for years, but can we revert to the old patches or at least put the game in Scenario mode? I really miss playing this old beast heck since running around Twitch playing indie games I kinda had the feel to recover my old account then pick up DS. To be honest this game was huge it just needs the right vision to start back up again

The short answer, as you rightly guessed, is no.

This is—I think—due to the repository system that Both Medusa(the game's engine), and DS itself were written on. I am not privy to which IDE(Integrated Development Environment) that both written using.

I'm not aware how much you know about programming, but two things are of utmost importance relevant to your question. So I will respond under the assumption that you don't know that much. That way, others ho are reading along and really don't know anything on the subject will get an explanation.

IDE's operate much like a document editor. Only, much more advanced. They feature syntax highlighting, and many other features that make coding life easier. Most programmers, from perl scripting, to writing C, use an IDE to organize and simplify the work. Allowing them to code more efficiently, and write more because they aren't dealing with organizational issues, etc.

The second, and most important issue is a CVS(Concurrent Version Systems), or some other similar version control system. This lifesaving tool for programmers allows you to track and work on individual versions of the software project, or file you're working on. It allows you to go back to any version you want as long as the software you're working on has been in the CVS from the start. In such a case, you can retrieve any version of the project, or file at any point in the development process.

However, what I believe happened was that Richard(The game's founder and sole programmer/designer for many years) was not using a CVS capable of doing this for most of Medusa, and DS's development. It's also possible that something happened to the CVS, or his work that had the effect of resetting it. Losing the ability to go back to a point and essentially "fork" DS. Much like OpenSource projects do. When someone does not care for the direction the project is going, they go back to the codebase where their issue diverged, and they fork the project. Although this isn't done with an internal CVS, it is possible to do with just a copy of the previous version source code, or through some kind of repository where users can retrieve previous version snapshots and fork the project. I believe websites can now do this like github, and sourceforge. Although github seems to be extremely advanced in this area.

None of this is technically 100% accurate. But it is the gist of the problem. Without a previous versions source code—1.480 for example—, or a way to generate a snapshot of an older version, there simply is no way to fork DS this way.

I hope this helps.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Steveyk
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2016-11-05 04:19   
I thought the game was in scenario mode???

Email Steveyk
Page created in 0.007938 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR