No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » SECTOR bans
 Author SECTOR bans
Neo_Swift
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2017-01-31 13:03   
I just came up with this idea what I'd thought about what had led up to my permaban. I was thinking that people likes the idea of politics within Darkspace, and had wondered why Darkspace wasn't quite as role play as it seemed it should be after one look at the profile system.

My idea is: SECTOR bans (for want of s better word)

One does not like being kicks from a server for gameplay errors like heavy friendly fire, and if he is banned or permabaned for a misdaminor in the lobby afterwards, it may completely end our Darkspace career.

So I was thinking, that bans could be localised to single planets if a captain is spotted by the server to be breaking the rules. Of corse you cannot have a server kicking people willy nilly just for war crimes, but if the server was coded to order a ship away from a planet that it's captain had friendly bombed, or that he had attacked a supply ship for no apparent reason, he could be given a mark on his record. Also captains could be banned from long P jumping if they had been known to waste fuel to kill a ship that had little hull in the first place. Or certain routes could be off limits for certain captains for mysterious and unknown reasons in his past history within the game.

I think that this idea is entirely workable. And it would open up the whole political and role playing framework that Darkspace was always meant to have.

TroyMars
Chief Marshal
T-Roy! and Friends

Posted: 2017-02-03 02:28   
You either follow the rules, or you dont.

Email TroyMars
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2017-02-03 08:09   
Quote:
On 2017-01-31 13:03, Elfstar (Returning) wrote:

I think that this idea is entirely workable. And it would open up the whole political and role playing framework that Darkspace was always meant to have.

Have you read the RoC? It says you are wrong.....

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2017-02-06 17:53   
Quote:

So I was thinking, that bans could be localised to single planets if a captain is spotted by the server to be breaking the rules.

If we could implement machine learning to spot cheating/exploitation/unwanted play-styles and have it ban automatically, we would do that - game-wide. But since the technology doesn't exist, that'd be a bit difficult.

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2017-02-07 08:58   

I have to reiterate the sentiments of my veteran comrades that, you can either abide by the RoC which has existed since time immemorial, or not.

As for the following snippet:

Quote:

This, is quite wrong. It is not entirely workable. Given my knowledge of programming and design—limited as it may be against current devs—, the only thing that strikes me as "workable" is limiting the bans to either the lobby, or in game itself. And even this has to be couched in the obviousness of not being able to readily ban from the lobby and leave the game itself unbanned, because of how the communication works. You could not ban someone from the lobby, and not the game where the ability to communicate is nearly a requisite. This would require significant code alterations in the network communications code to run a series of checks on the client for ability to play, but not speak.

As for banning players from certain areas of space, this would cause a major rewrites of client and server to "fence" planets and other areas with boundary boxes to check a players status every single time they crossed one, or crossed multiple fences simultaneously. This, besides requiring hours and hours of addition development time, could—in theory— introduce a number of potential glitches(i.e. bugs), potential exploits, and/or significant lagging to the client.

Given the minimal amount of dedicated development time and resources available by the devs, whom I might add volunteer their time without expectation of any compensation, and DS's minimal sustained player base, none of this is actually in my opinion, anything close to being viable. It isn't something likely to rejuvenate the old girl, or enhance gameplay for the players in other words. While it's great that people come up with ideas, to be viable, they need to add something, to enhance gameplay. This is the only way player ideas might be added. They must be compelling, doable, and enhance the players experience.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Page created in 0.014306 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR