No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Getting our Player Base back
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Getting our Player Base back
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2020-01-27 18:27   
Quote:
On 2020-01-26 10:06, Daisy wrote:
The graphics of this game were never a problem for me, but the user interface is just sooo clunky that the game still feels like a pre-alpha with the most bare minimum GUI systems in place to make it functional.

I have a lot of ideas to make it better... maybe someone could introduce me to the relevant code and some explanation of how the functions work?

The game is open sourced and available on Github. Anyone can make a pull request, which if merged, is automatically built and pushed to beta once a day. Development questions in general are better asked on Discord, as it facilitiates better communication: https://discordapp.com/invite/35Dkqf3

http://www.github.com/palestar
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2020-01-27 18:27 ]

Daisy
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2020-01-30 10:52   
Thank you for the reply Pantheon, I've been studying the code now for the last several days. It's going to take some time to understand how things are structured, but I'm getting there

I wanted to mention that on trying to find Youtube footage of this game, there's basically nothing that can be easily found, it's mostly overshadowed by another game (turn based tactics) by the name of Darkspace, as well as a dark metal album.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2020-02-05 22:34   
I should note there is the added complexity of the Resourcer, but that's only really useful for the designing of objects and their importing into the game. For example, you can create a weapon class in code, push it, and build it, but you need to create the definition of the object that will use this class within the resourcer, what it can be upgrade from/to, etc, etc.

It's a rather peculiar swiss army knife of a beast, but it gets the job mostly done. Most of the current issues really only need modification of the code rather than actual changes to the game objects.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2020-03-09 04:06   
Weird, I actually had a dream last night I was playing this game again as a Kluth station (out of the blue too, what in the world brought that dream on?) Came here and read a bit about how Kluth were nerfed. Not a fan of that at all.

Old scenario servers would be great. I always preferred the chess match gameplay of scenarios over MV, but I also greatly preferred the old planet defenses over the simplified AOE field they were changed to. And remember fighter bases?

.483 was IMO this game's golden age. Some may disagree. Bring that version back along with scenarios and old players may return. I can't do it, I can't code.

DubStep Santa
Marshal

Posted: 2020-03-18 20:23   
the devs know what they need to do to get the player base back, we have been begging for years i think the game is dead. and it makes me sad cause i loved bashing space bar with my buddies

NUTS

Email DubStep Santa
Marshalrol
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2020-03-22 21:15   
Mhm I see nothing much has changed here.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2020-03-28 13:37   
Re-enabled Scenario server with a 60 second log-off time as I know some people have been asking for something a bit more compact. Not sure what state it's is with the current MV-based code, but it's there if people want it. The AI modifications should migrate nicely to this format of server to balance things out.

Also not sure what the K'Luth nerfs are regarding - K'Luth haven't been nerfed, or even touched in quite some time. Their cloak mechanic was changed slightly and pinging was removed to focus them more into hit-and-run, rather than duking it out. This was sometime in early 2014.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2020-03-28 13:38 ]

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2020-03-28 21:44   
Quote:
On 2020-03-09 04:06, MrSparkle wrote:
Weird, I actually had a dream last night I was playing this game again as a Kluth station (out of the blue too, what in the world brought that dream on?) Came here and read a bit about how Kluth were nerfed. Not a fan of that at all.

Old scenario servers would be great. I always preferred the chess match gameplay of scenarios over MV, but I also greatly preferred the old planet defenses over the simplified AOE field they were changed to. And remember fighter bases?

.483 was IMO this game's golden age. Some may disagree. Bring that version back along with scenarios and old players may return. I can't do it, I can't code.

Agreed, .483 or up to 1.5 was the prime time for Darkspace where we had really decent population, you had the PvE and a good balance of PVP, K'luth stalking their prey like they were supposed too. I miss the old K'luth cloak.

*Flash*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2020-03-29 17:01   
Change the game as it was and im pretty sure we`ll have the players back. Bring back old cloak with pinging, range on IC and QST and refresh rate faster, JD without timer and planets with old defences. See whats happen?

Email *Flash*
TheRealSzabi
Chief Marshal
Bifrost Fleet

Posted: 2020-04-03 22:26   
Quote:
On 2020-03-29 17:01, *Flash* wrote:
Change the game as it was and im pretty sure we`ll have the players back. Bring back old cloak with pinging, range on IC and QST and refresh rate faster, JD without timer and planets with old defences. See whats happen?

I agree with this.

Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2020-04-04 22:10   
Quote:
On 2020-04-03 22:26, theKRAKEN wrote:
Quote:
On 2020-03-29 17:01, *Flash* wrote:

I agree with this.

Agreed

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2020-04-07 20:01   
1.478 ftw.... might not have been the most balanced, but I seem to remember it as the best time. Prior to 1.481 which is when it started to go snapty if I recall.

Lockerd
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2020-04-09 05:48   
I can't believe I've been away for so long, only to see the surprising date of replies here on this thread.

I remember the game back in 07, when you could get cross faction items and assets from the relatively larger meta maps, I kinda miss that.

Though to be honest, getting people into the game isn't much of a huge issue, if it were just the game we're talking about....the problem has always been the chatroom and lobby system, which was great back in the day, but kind of restrictive in this day and age.

I do hope to see the game succeed, get more folks in, and be a little bit bigger so as to allow for a healthy base without it being evaporated in such a short time. I've got a clan who'd probably love the hell out of this game, especially since it's free, and we have a few whales who love to spend.

I dunno what else I can say, I don't know the limits of what the game can do, or have, so I can't suggest appropriate solutions without said information.

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2020-04-10 10:53   
[ This Message was edited by: Sauur on 2020-04-11 05:19 ]

*Flash*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2020-04-10 12:15   
I forgot to say that i think the ships were much better with different size. Now all ships are the same. We must differentiate a station from a dread. The armor ring should be as it used to be imo. QST have a big damage but are damn slow so other weapons and that makes the game very,very slow. It was much better way before when we had more range and less damage and faster travel for QST,IC and SI.
Planet interdictors were much better again, it used to be exactly 1000gu, now we dont have a standard distance. It is 1200 sometimes or 1300gu. We never know.
It is an interesting game and its a pitty that noone is listening to old players who played the game almost every day and still check the game forrums to add some ideas. Why dont we try to make it the way it used to be and before a change we could talk and maybe some players can come with interesting ideas in improving the game.

Email *Flash*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026577 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR