No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » GeForce4 and DS, major problems
 Author GeForce4 and DS, major problems
Deleted

Posted: 2002-07-16 09:25   
I am having serious problems with DS and my GeForce4 card .. just found the game (have never tried it before), and it looks very promising, BUT, take a look at this.

http://www.reinhold.dk/darkspace/

Not very playable .. I have tried disabling FSAA (someone in chat suggested this), and tried the latest official (29.42) drivers, as well as the lates leaked (30.30)

Running DX8.1, on a Win2K/SP2 box, with a Creative GF4/4400 card.

It looks like the textures are not loaded properly, and it uses some placeholder texture (but this is just me guessing here)

Anyone have any ideas?

FlyveHest

Deleted

Posted: 2002-07-18 01:46   
im using 29.42 drivers with a gainward gf4/4600 in winxp and it works fine...

thread continued over here:

http://www.darkspace.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=9502&forum=2&11

[ This Message was edited by: Smokey on 2002-07-18 06:16 ]

Deleted

Posted: 2002-07-18 14:04   
Other than his post. I installed a Geforce 4 mx 440. The card worked fine with drivers ect. for about a month. When the card Went bad I started getting a disply similar to yours but not just on DS on everything.

The other question is looking into flashing your Motherboards Bios to their latest drivers. Alot of sound/Vid card issues can be cleared up if its not a physical problem with your vid card.

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2002-07-29 12:29   
I'd like to poll the collective experiences of others concerning this same card - bought a nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64mb and began having all sorts of graphics problems.

First - I've seen many different issues over the last couple weeks while tweaking different hardware/software settings.

1 - In game, screen went black except for green bar across top. Think I've only seen this once, maybe twice tops

2 - Lockups. Had two in the same hour while accessing a starport in F5

3 - Lockups. Random seemingly but sometimes when hitting an area with lots of ships.

My personal feeling is, it's my system, not just the card. I'm on a (yes it really is) 56K USR Winmodem. Bought a cheapie replacement a year ago thinking to get cable and never swapped it out.

Both the modem & video reside on IRQ 11. Most of the time everything is fine until...and this is a guess...I do something that requires lots of cpu processing from the modem or the video card, if only for a couple seconds.

Strangely, this isn't consistent. Yesterday I played for 3 hours straight without a glitch...although I saw the system pause for 2-5 seconds a few times.
-
I *think* the difference between yesterday and the many other crashes is -- that pause - the computer paused and got everything sorted out and continued. It wasn't doing that during the times it crashed.

Before I get the usual - reinstall/load/drivers suggestions. I'm pretty sure I've done them all AND confirmed that I've used the right ones. I've flashed my BIOS, updated the drivers on my motherboard / video card/ modem / monitor - reinstalled win98se / defragged the HD, scanned for errors, checked the system files for errors. I've reinstalled my network protocols and fiddled with the hardware acceleration -- including ones for the modem for in inbound/outbound UART settings.

What I'm really looking for is knowledge that I'm missing. Is there a known issue with nVidia drivers or is it likely all a problem with my USR winmodem? The thing that gets me is - I've had full scenario/mv outings go flawlessly sometimes...and other times it'll hang in the first 2-5 minutes.

In a little over a week, it won't matter much since I'm connecting a cablemodem to my system.

Mike

Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-07-29 22:21   
alot of devices don't like sharing IRQs... i'd suggest moving your modem over to another IRQ and don't let anything share with your video card... some cards are able to share with each other, though it's more of a hit and miss type deal...

im currently using a 56k USR external modem and i get lag hicups every now and then... but for the most part DarkSpace is one of the few games i can actually play online without lagging horribly all the time...

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2002-07-30 10:42   
Most of the time (PnP Bios) it won't let me manually assign IRQ's to either card - by swapping the USR modem to the 2nd PCI slot it swaps over to IRQ 5 --- at which point the problem seems to get worse.

It actually runs better sharing IRQ 11 - although that's not always perfect obviously

Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-08-02 21:07   
nasty... i had sorta the same problem with my last computer... after switching around my many PCI cards i found the right combonation in PCI slots that would let everything work properly... anyway...

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2002-08-03 00:49   
Yep - nasty and frustrating.
I strongly suspect I'm going to end up purchasing a new computer - wife wouldn't buy into that idea though.

Currently I'm running 2xHD 2xCD 1xSCSI scanner, 1xinkjet(usb), 1xlaser -- wouldn't be surprised to find that because I've got a system that satisfies the needs of the wife, kids and I, I've sacrificed gaming stability.

Or, alternatively, with all the tweaks and even perhaps the all the "updated" drivers I've added recently, I've actually made it worse somehow. Or, again, it could be this freakin' POS...didn't I say that already?

Mike

Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-08-03 13:32   
Concerning the modem/irq issues. Dump the winmodem it slows your machine down, it's like on board video, lot of the processing is offloaded to the cpu as opposed to standard type of modems where much of the modem or video processing is handled by the modem or video. As you have noted at times of high transfer rates or high cpu requirements, you get a frame freeze, with the winmodem requiring processing power from the cpu and the cpu already busy, something has to wait. As far as IRQ sharing, com ports/modems don't mind sharing, but video does. If both are in PCI slots, you don't have to worry, PCI will handle PnP IRQ's for you. In fact if you check you will probably see that IRQ 11 is your main PCI IRQ. You should be able to manually configure your winmodem with the install software, just don't let it do PnP and manually assign it a com port and irq. Do not use com4 which I will explain shortly.

To the original poster, looks to me like you got a problem with overlapping hardware addressing. In early days of video acceleration, video designers started using the i/o address of com4 I think it is 2F8, maybe 2E8, can't remember, but when running a video card that uses this address (and all most all if not all do today), you get the exact problem you show. If you have a com4 setup or your PC, move it to com 1-3. Even if you don't, check your device manager and check to make sure that you don't have anything using I/O address 2F8? or 2E8, like I said I can't remember which one it is, I think it is 2F8, but not 100percent sure. You can still use com4 with newer devices that allow you to also change the I/O address. If you can't find anything, check your video in device manager, if there is a problem with your I/O addressing, it should show it as a resource violation and tell you what else is trying to use the same I/O address path.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2002-08-07 07:33   
I'm pretty sure I just found the problem, or, at least, a problem. Unfortunately, the cable modem ISP failed to show up on Monday so I haven't ditched the winmodem yet.

But - it was the GeForce4 and my motherboard, a QS440BX made by BCM. I have an AGP 1.0 compliant slot (1x/2x) and not the mandatory AGP 2.0 slot (4x) on my motherboard. The primary difference between the two is the faster (2.0) slot provides more power to the video card...which may 100% explain the apparent video shutdown sometimes...the card is underpowered and failing.

I've bought an ATI Radeon 7500 64mb -> and tried it for 20 minutes last night. Didn't hit the problem but I'll have to play a lot more to test it, although based on my track record, if the Radeon survives about 3-4 hours of gameplay without a crash, then it's fixed.

Nax

Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-09-05 09:55   
Yea ditch the soft modem ..

The modem and the Video card are ok sharing the same IRQ since they have to communicated while gaming online. however.. the sound device doesnt work well on the same IRQ as the Video card..

I had a lock up problem on my machine.. turns out the most unlikly change corrected the problem..

I have a FIC AN11 stealth MB w/sound
Via KT266A chipset
640 gigs of DDR
nVidia GF2 MX400 TV

It started with Vid Modem and Sound on IRQ 11.. taht was causing the lockups..and No IRQs free to speek of

I managed to free up an IRQ by moving to an optical mouse.. however.. it didnt help things

I also told the BIOS to assign the open IRQ to the modem.. and also one to the sound card.. eh well it didnt want to do it..
Im not going to get to detailed though about what all i tryed.. however this is what worked

I realized my Optical Mouse ran off a Proxy program ... so.. i looked at the Bios and for some odd reason turned off USB mouse support...

WOA .. whaddya know.. my mouse still works and the Sound controler chaged IRQs .. POOF stable once again ^_^..

so if you do .. or even dont have USB optical mouse.. turn off the support and see if that helps ^_^

Odd hu?

miffo!
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2002-09-06 01:20   
Quote:

On 2002-09-05 09:55, TSMidnight wrote:

640 gigs of DDR

w00t w00t ?!? hope u mean 640meg ddr
cus other wise u have more RAM then i have in HD space and i have 3HD's

Goto the website of miffo!
Page created in 0.022497 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR