Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » =DSA= Fleet Setup and Tactis
 Author =DSA= Fleet Setup and Tactis
Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2003-04-08 07:50   
FLEET SETUP AND TACTICS

Being a great pilot will hold you in good stead when playing Darkspace. But being a good fleet player is what this game is all about. This post will attempt to outline the basics of creating and being part of an effective fleet. The first section outlines the different classes of ships and orders them according to importance in the four main types of fleet engagement you will see in the game. The second section provides an example fleet for each faction whilst the third section lists a range of tactics and advice when participating in large fleets. There are many people who are considerably better fleet leaders than myself so any additions to this post would be appreciated.

FLEET SETUPS FOR THE FOUR MAIN TYPES OF ENGAGEMENT

The four main types of engagement you will face in Darkspace are:

1. Bombing
  2. Capping
  3. Assault
  4. Defence

In any of these given situations, certain ships will provide you with more functionality for your ultimate goal than others. Below, is a simple ranking system, where the seven ship types (bombers, supply ships, dictors, transports, long range combat, short range combat and sensor ships) have been ordered according to their importance in the selected situation. When creating your fleet, the list gives a rough idea of the order of importance of each ship type.

n.b. 1 = the most important ship type, 7 = the least important ship type

Bombing

1. Bomber
  2. Supply Ship
  3. Dictor
  4. Short Range Combat
  5. Transport
  6. Sensor Ship
  7. Long Range Combat

In a bombing fleet, the first ship you need to consider bringing is obviously a bomber. Next, you need a supply ship to resupply the bomber and to repair it against planetary defences. Having a dictor will prevent enemy ships from jumping on top of you and inflicting heavy damage, and consequently preventing you from completing your bombing run. The short range combat vessels provide your ship with combat support should any enemy vessel attempt to interrupt your bombing run. The transports come next in case you only have time to make one bombing run, and then quickly need to turn the fleet into a capping fleet. Sensors can provide your bombing fleet with the ecm needed to mask your attack, or can provide enough eccm to prevent cloaked ships from sneaking up close to your bomber. Long Range ships come last because more often than not you will end up firing your weapons at enemies that are located next to a planet and thus have defence bases to destroy your incoming fire.

Capping

1. Transport
  2. Dictor
  3. Supply Ships
  4. Close Range Combat
  5. Bomber
  6. Sensor Ship
  7. Long Range Combat

A capping fleet revolves around getting lots of infantry to a planet as fast possible. Therefore, transports are the most important part of any capping fleet (note, because any ship can carry infantry, technically any ship can be classed as a transport). The dictor will ensure no enemy ships can close jump and destroy your ship and infantry before they have been dropped, whilst the supply ships will repair your ships en route to the enemy planet. The close range combat ships should enable you to reach the planet unmolested. Bombers can be used to bomb the enemy infantry off of a planet and sensor ships can hide your fleet or unmask cloaked ships. Again, because of the proximity to planetary defences, long range combat vessels have the lowest priority.

Assault

1. Close Range Combat
  2. Long Range Combat
  3. Supply Ships
  4. Dictor
  5. Sensor Ship
  6. Transport
  7. Bomber

Obviously, close range combat ships provide the backbone of any assault fleet, but the positions of the long range combat, supply ships, and dictor could all be interchanged. For example, not having a dictor would allow enemy vessels to close jump and quickly finish off any long range ships. Similarly, a long range ship could quickly run out of ammo if no supply ship were provided. Sensor ships can be essential if you are likely to face cloaked vessels, and if you have a big enough fleet, several sensor ships can even negate an ecm fort. Transports and bombers provide tertiary support for what is essentially a combat fleet.

Defending

1. Long Range Combat
  2. Close Range Combat
  3. Supply Ships
  4. Sensor Ship
  5. Transport
  6. Bomber
  7. Dictor

A defending fleet is one which is used to protect a planet. The long range combat vessels will chew up any incoming ships that have been caught by the planetary dictor, and the close range combat vessels will do the same to any ships that survive the long range attacks. The supply ships will provide the additional ammunition for the long range ships, and keep any close range combat vessels at optimum fighting strength. The sensor ships will detect any vessels running ecm or using a cloak. Transports provide additional infantry to attack any infantry dropped by an opposing force. Bombers can be used to bomb off enemy infantry. A dictor can be used, but 99% of planets have dictors anyway, so this makes the interdictor vessel redundant. It should be noted that a planet can provide additional supply (through depots) and sensors (through sensor bases).

As a basis, a balanced fleet should use the following as a rule of thumb when putting a fleet together.

1 Supply Ship for every 4-5 ships.

1 dictor for every 8-10 ships.

2-3 long range combat vessels for every 8-10 ships.

4-5 close range combat vessels for every 8-10 ships.

A minimum of 20 infantry should usually be carried when trying to cap a planet.

Try to bring a bomber with any fleet. Keep it in reserve for planets that are particularly hard to cap (infantry planets) or that have multiple anti-sensor bases.

Sensor ships are only really needed against the Kluth, but can be offset by ships using eccm. However, this does prevent an extra reactor from being installed. Therefore, it is worth carrying an eccm in your hold if you believe you may find yourself fighting Kluth vessels.

EXAMPLE FLEETS

This section gives an example fleet setup comprising of 10 ships for each faction. These merely provide blueprints for a balanced fleet that can be used in a multitude of situations. If you know exactly the type of situation you will face, then you should tailor the fleet to match it.

ICC

2 Supply Ships
2 Missile Dreadnoughts
4 Assault Cruisers
1 Interdictor
1 Bomber Dreadnought (or replace with another Assault Cruiser if a bomber is not needed)

The 2 missile dreads provide ample long range fire support, and can effectively chew up any ship that hits the fleets dictor field. For anything that manages to get through the barrage of IT missiles, they have volleys of 24 torpedoes awaiting them from the 4 Assault Cruisers. One of the supply ships can keep the Missile Dreads happy, whilst the other supply ship can perform field repairs on all of the other vessels. This fleet can carry over 30 infantry units. The missile dreads can provide ample sensor support.

UGTO

1 Heavy Supply Ship
2 Carrier Dreadnoughts
2 Elite Assault Dreadnoughts
2 Torpedo Cruisers/Assault Destroyers
2 Command Dreadnoughts or 1 Bomber Cruiser and an extra Heavy Supply Ship
1 Interdictor

The 2 carrier dreads provide the same role as the ICC missiles dreads. At close range, the torpedoes, flux beams and CLK2000’s of the EAD’s will cripple any ship very quickly, ably assisted by the torp cruisers or assault dessies. The command dreads double up as bombers/supply ships/sensor platforms/transports and also have a limited close range combat role. If using the bomber cruiser, be aware that you will need to use another ships scanner to be able to target a planets structures. Again, this fleet configuration can carry over 30 infantry, with the carrier dreads and/or command dreads providing lots of sensor support.

Kluth

1 Piercer
3 Ganglias
1 Clavate or an extra Ganglia if a bomber is not needed
2 Siphons or Scarabs, both modded with IT missiles.
3 Drainers/Claws (personal preference)

No sensor ships are needed with Kluth vessels. The IT modded Siphon/Scarab provides some long range fire support, but it is at Close Range where this fleet will annihilate any other. The overwhelming beam weapons of the destroyers and Ganglias will make short work of any ship, with the Ganglia’s drones keeping the fleet healthy. Once more, this fleet can carry over 30 infantry.

Remember, the examples given above are simply pointers towards an effective fleet. Long Range support, short range support, supply, etc. all need to be combined to provide a balanced fleet that is flexible and not overly vulnerable to one type of attack.

TACTICS AND TIPS

This last section is merely a list of basic tactics and slightly more advanced tips for use in fleet combat.

Basic Fleet Tactics

Below, is a short list of basic fleet skills that should be followed at all times. Doing so, will enable you to become an effective part of a fleet, no matter which role you fulfil.

Always protect the dictor ship - That ship is the only thing stopping enemy reinforcements from jumping to within weapons range straight away. Keep it alive and your fleet will often survive.

Stay as a group – Protection comes in numbers. Experienced players will often look for ‘stragglers’, i.e. those players who have wandered out of the protective umbrella of the group and can be destroyed with a quick hit and run attack.

Focus your fire – Concentrate the fire of your vessels on one ship until it is dead.

Help your teammates Always be aware of your teammates situation and be prepared to break off an attack to aid any colleagues in trouble.

Create a base of operations Capping the first planet in an enemy system is all important. It gives you a base of operations so capture the planet as quickly and efficiently as possible. Try not to kill the hub as it will take time to rebuild things like depots.

Ignore Prestige – If you stop worrying about gaining prestige, and concentrate on achieving the fleets objectives, you will have much more fun and usually gain prestige faster.

Communicate – Talk to each other. Let your teammates know what you are doing so they can react accordingly.

Advanced Fleet Tips

The following is a list of tips that I’ve picked up in numerous fleet situations. It is by no means a comprehensive list, but you will find that many of them will aid you if you choose to use them.

Set traps using dictors and minefields - Remember that enemy ships are pulled out of their jumps exactly 1000gu’s away from a dictor. Laying a minefield along often used jump routes and then planting a dictor 1000gu’s away will cause a whole heap of trouble for your enemy.

Hit and Run - Jump in, kill a couple of ships and then jump out. Whittle down the enemy force until you can destroy them completely.

Distract your enemy - Use feints to distract your enemy, e.g. Send a small fleet in to fake an attack on an enemy, whilst your bombers and trannies cap another.

Force the enemy to long jump – Blockade gates to force enemies to long jump to a system. This will give you a bit more time to cap that all important first planet.

Reconnaissance, Reconnaissance, Reconnaissance - Use scouts to find the enemy. This allows you to act on what the enemy is going to do, rather than re-acting to what the enemy has already done.

Soften up your enemy before you strike - If you’re planning a large fleet action on a specified date, try to destroy the main factory planets of your enemies home system. This will slow down any enemy reinforcements.

Supply planet – Try to have a planet with at least 5 depots on. This will allow you to quickly repair any ship and will free up your supply ships so that they only have to patch up any damaged vessels.

Chain of Command - This will normally work only if you have a disciplined set of players. Creating a chain of command will allow you to effectively co-ordinate your attacks. Choose the best fleet leader you have, and do what they say, when they ask you to. Your fleets effectiveness can increase exponentially if an effective chain of command is established.

Exotic ships - Large fleets are where the more exotic ship modifications and items come into their own, i.e. Battle Dreads with 7 beacons, emp cannon scouts, sensor frigates with 4 or 5 pulse waves. Using innovative ship designs will confuse the enemy and sometimes give you that advantage you need.

Target the good players – Always try to target the known fleet leaders of the opposition. Killing them will often throw a fleet into momentary confusion and allow you to press home any advantage. Also, always try to target the known better players on the oppositions side. Killing them will often give you breathing space because there is a vast difference in combat effectiveness between the good players and the not so good.

In conclusion, I’m pretty sure that large fleet engagements are what Faustus had in mind when he made this game, and they’re sure as hell the best thing about it. Become an effective part of a fleet and your enjoyment of the game will increase dramatically.

n.b. Before anyone posts any more witty, “you have too much time on your hands” comments, I have a new job, so I’m wasting time at my old job by writing this stuff. *breathe cavey breathe*

Darkman_X *WM*
Admiral

Posted: 2003-04-08 08:47   
Great posting, best i've seen so far I hope you S.W out there will adopt this line of thinking when we hit the mv as well as all the other icc fleets out there, I look forward to seeing these tactics implemented.

Email Darkman_X *WM*
Razor
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-28 08:31   
Caveman,

Thank you for this excellent posting. As a proud n00b (not for much longer) myself I must say that I learned more from your posting than currently all others combined.
Might I add that mentorship is very important as well. Fleet leaders have alot going on, especially for coordination during the planning and execution stage of current operations. But once the enemy planets are capped and the fleet collectively catches their breath please take the time to coach, teach, and mentor the juniors in your fleet. The sooner they learn from you fleet leaders out there the more loyal the n00bs will be to your fleet and clan. I have heard of several "faction hoppers" since I joined the game. That's a sad thing, and I think training when time is available would help fix that.

We are many. We are one.

Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-06-28 08:49   
Erm some things here caveman are out of date such as the seven battle dread beconer.

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
Patriarch
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-28 08:53   
Quote:

Target the good players – Always try to target the known fleet leaders of the opposition. Killing them will often throw a fleet into momentary confusion and allow you to press home any advantage. Also, always try to target the known better players on the oppositions side. Killing them will often give you breathing space because there is a vast difference in combat effectiveness between the good players and the not so good.

Nice Idea, but i can only give my own suggestions to you as a Fleet Leader A.D.

In my Time as a Fleet leader it never was a good idea to attack me,
cause it is the same like strg + twice!!!!
You will be dead before i die, but for 1.482 my time is over, but if the new patch will keep, what the old promised, you are invited to try to kill me if i am the leader of a fleet again, good luck.

First Kill the Fleet, then the leader!

Goto the website of Patriarch
Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-28 10:13   
Quote:

On 2004-06-28 08:49, Lawman wrote:
Erm some things here caveman are out of date such as the seven battle dread beconer.

I know. I made the post during the glory days of 1.481

Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-28 10:53   
That would be 1.480

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-06-28 10:59   
1480 rocked.

Email Bobamelius
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-06-28 11:04   
It's a real nice post actually, and much of it is still true. Capping is a bit different, and I'd rather have AD's defending a planet than AC's. AC's are better for mobile battles.

But, what's important is the theme - what a fleet needs.
Being a veteran isn't something simple like your FF score - it's situational awareness. The day when you realize that you just need to look at a situation to know what's needed...and you actually GO AND DO/GET it is the day you become a veteran.

Nax

JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-06-28 13:08   
Quote:

On 2004-06-28 11:04, Fornax wrote:

But, what's important is the theme - what a fleet needs.
Being a veteran isn't something simple like your FF score - it's situational awareness. The day when you realize that you just need to look at a situation to know what's needed...and you actually GO AND DO/GET it is the day you become a veteran.

Nicely said. Now if only I can get more ICC players to be interested in being a dictor...

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-06-28 14:56   
Players, being players, do things that benefit themselves. Being a dictor is probably the least rewarding of tasks - its similar to Sensor (Scout/Frigates)...mostly just a target.

Stations are noticeably better since they tend to get lots of repair prestige.

Nax

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-29 18:05   
jack, once i make FA ill b a dictor all the time =)

Email Meko
Page created in 0.020000 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR