No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Art » » Fan Art: UGTO Cruiser & Dread concept...
 Author Fan Art: UGTO Cruiser & Dread concept...
DangerBabe
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-10 23:02   
I've been dabbling with some UGTO ship designs for a little while in my spare time and thought I'd post a couple of pics to see what you all think of the inital designs. I have 2 views of a cruiser and one side shot of a dread. I was thinking a modern style, layered hull design and came up with these.

I still have measuring and tweaking to do, but lemmie know whatcha think!

Overhead view - Cruiser

3/4 view - Cruiser

Side view - Dread

[ This Message was edited by: DangerBabe on 2005-02-10 23:05 ]

Archon
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-10 23:15   
Looks Nice, Keep up the good work

~Insanity Is Only The Beginning~

Email Archon
Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-10 23:30   
I dunno about that being UGTO ships but ...............oneday ............Legion?

Looks cool though

Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-10 23:30   
My opinion of the cruiser:

I would think it is a bit too stodgy for a cruiser, but I haven't seen the UGTO cruisers. To me, UGTO is sort of like an organic star trek with a hint of retro swept gracefulness sort of thing, and while it looks like you are trying to hold to that theme, the ship just doesn't say "Crusier" to me. It could be maybe an Assault Transport (YAY!), or it has a similar look tot he UGTO destroyers, but with downspet forward-facing wings. The barely protruding canard-like winglets up front make it look a bit too organic-perhaps you could move the forward-facing rear wing back on the layer half of the distance behind it, and have the little wings in front actually connect to that layer about where the main wings are now.

On the dread:

The proportions of it seem good (engine, fore and aft hull, and dorsal/side layers), but some balancing out of the curves with a bit more symmetrical sweep might be in order to keep it from looking too much like a possible K'luth ship. I think there are too many sharp angles on it, especially in the front (bridge) area, maybe that should be toned down a bit degree-wise. The bottom arch that looks almost like a lower jaw could be a little slimmer to balance out with the rear-facing wing of the dorsal layer, and have an opposite effect to it, like the zig zag of a lightning bolt.

Steamrunner

DangerBabe
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-11 00:31   
Quote:

On 2005-02-10 23:30, Steamrunner wrote:
... The barely protruding canard-like winglets up front make it look a bit too organic-perhaps you could move the forward-facing rear wing back on the layer half of the distance behind it, and have the little wings in front actually connect to that layer about where the main wings are now.

Thx all for the replies!

@Feralwulf: Cool idea about making these Legions ships. I had forgotten about them.

@Steam: Dread: Ya, I had thought the dread looked a bit too Kluthy. Whereas I think the UGTO are trek-like, esp. with the frigate, I didn't want to copy their designs (like having a saucer section and nacelles), so I opted for a more...aerodynamic feel and definately less phallic lol. I see what you're saying though about the angles. I'll round a few corners and tweak the "jawline" and see what happens.

Cruiser:When you said "stodgy" did you mean boring or stocky...or both (lol)? I've always liked the scout and dessy designs and I tried expanding on that idea. I didn't think the cruiser looked too organic, because I had seen "organic looking winglets" on the scout and fighters. I thought it would be cool to pull that idea to a bigger ship. Interesting idea about the wings. It's late here so that may be why I'm having trouble understanding what you were describing to do, but were you saying basically to move the forward facing wing section (that looks like a right-leaning "J") up and back, leaving the rear facing assemblies alone, so the wings wouldn't be lower than the main hull? Like a shorter "J"?

[ This Message was edited by: DangerBabe on 2005-02-11 00:33 ]

Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-11 03:58   
DB-

Stodgy as in stocky, aye. I figured you were trying to make a bigger badder yet a bit more unique Frigate or Destroyer, because those shapes seem to be the more fluid and deadly. I meant organic as a whole for the cruiser,-it looks like a lil pissed off seed, or, that sort of shape is usually meant to have as much space as possible inside (transport vessel).

What I meant about the wings:

Try keeping the main right leaning J wing assembly the same, but moving it back (technically down as well) closer to the engines, about 1/2 or so of the way back than it is now. Make the little wing nubs up front longer, flare out a little more, or flare out quite a bit more, and then sweep back and UP to where the main wing roots used to be. This actually will make it look closer to your Dread pic.

With the combination of edges and sharp curves, your ships almost look like seeds, huskes of corn, etc-which tends to bring the K'luth to mind. There is a hint of the UGTO in the cruiser, but so far, not in the dread. Find a way to incorporate at least 1-2 broad curves in either design without making them too visually attention getting, and see if you can somehow get a nacelle or engine structure in there too. You won't necessarily copy their designs; what you may be wanting to do is improve, refresh, but still make it recognizably UGTO. Since you seem to have done so already, leaving out saucer sections is a good compromise towards this goal.

Steam

Hellza - master
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-11 08:33   
oooooo nicely done.. they look like bugs .. dont forget to put Our Cheese marking on them!

Email Hellza - master
DangerBabe
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-11 10:59   
Good tips, steam, I'll give those things a try. I'll make the changes to the cruiser but I may rename it to a dessy, then re-work a new cruiser design off that and the dread.

Hehe ty Hellza

$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-11 13:54   
Legion!!! Legion!!!!

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-12 05:39   
Legion LegioN!@!

Email Meko
DangerBabe
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-12 12:02   
I like the idea...legion it is then!

I don't really know the background of the Legion other than the prelim art on the screenshot page, are they somewhat organic?

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2005-02-12 12:55   
First of all these looks slick... realy smooth drawing there, as for some critic they look a bit like the Kluth ships especially the dread, still they look great

- Axi

JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-02-12 13:17   
Cheese Legion invades!

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-12 15:29   
There isn't much information on Teh Legion yet. However, we managed to pick out something from a mostly garbled subspace transmission during the only contact:

"You gotta love Ricotta, the unforgettable edible, creamy and spreadable, soft & smooth cheese. What do you do when you gotta have Ricotta?"

The ICC ship "Patty Melt" was turned into ricotta shortly after this bit of info. Nothing was left of the crew but small white creamy bits of...well, you get the idea.

NOTE: I think the Legion are quite a bit more organic in nature, probably similar to the borg in star trek, but way more streamlined and sleek. That mechanical growth look is there though.

Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-02-12 16:31   
I'd say that belongs to none of the 4 factions, but instead belongs to a minor Alien race.

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
Page created in 0.027344 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR