No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Brainstorm - Change to Jump gate system
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Brainstorm - Change to Jump gate system
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-06-26 19:44   
@Switch, it looks good,

poisonlizard
Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-26 19:50   
Just a thought to build upon these ideas (which I do like the idea of building gates). It would be time consuming to build one end, then the other just to take over a system.
But could we build both platforms together, then use a ship w/tractor beam to tow it into place through a WH? That way we could use a station's WH to move the second platform into the system you want it, speeding up the process (in theory).

Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-06-26 20:21   
I like the idea of the permament jumpgates to the home systems and then buidable ones for all the other ones.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-26 21:42   
Great idea switch, but I personally feel that permenant gates would be better than wormholes...I mean as far as we know there are no permanent wormholes in the universe so why would they be more natural?

As for the buildable jumpgates my 2 cents are that they should cost no money to use but require resources to move you...say 1/2-1/4 your ships sy cost to move it...you shouldn't need to truck resources to a gate because it should be able to act as though it had a starport and can pull resources from a system. In my opinion you should not be able to use enemy jumpgates (other than maybe permanent) because if you're gonna build a giant inter-system method of transportation I think you'd be smart enough to put an FoF code on the thing so you're enemies can't use it. I don't like the tow idea (tow other end through wormhole) because I feel these things should be huge and therefore unmovable by tractor beam (something about their dimensions in subspace render it immobile or something).

I see people using a wormhole to get to another system, then protecting their engineer and feeding him resources while he builds the gate. Then the engi would enter it and connect it (permanently) to the one that was built in the system they came from and bingo, jumpgate!

Some other random cents are that I feel would help this system...

Gates should have high health (higher than station) and low armor (cruiser)...reasoning you say? They're huge, so automaticly huge hull, but they need so much power/other stuff they can't have much armor...

Finally I think that each system should only be able to support (due to some technical sounding jargen) a maximum of 2 jumpgate connections (perminant or temp). That way two things happen, if uggies and luth are fighting in a system and both have gates ICC can't come in and instead have to attack one of their flanks, and the three main systems would be impossible for enemies to build a gate until they destroyed the home system's temp gate.

This is a great strategic idea I hope to see in game...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2005-06-27 05:32   
The idea of Buildable/Destructible Jump Gates sounds like a good idea. I don't have any ideas to put forth at this time, but this would indeed make battles more interesting. Just fighting over planets for reason other than to control the planet doesnt seem, fulfilling.
The idea of requiring resources to move your ship, as one of you said, 1/4-1/2 your ship's SY requirements would then make planet battles worth something. All in all, a good idea, maybe it will actually get people to start thinking about strategy for once. Afterall, DARKSPACE is supposed to be a RPG/RTS space game. I know I wouldnt minde having things this way. Strategy is just about the only gametype I play, so I welcome this idea.

B.T.W. the idea to use CREDITS to move your ship should be out of the question (30k 60k etc). Most people would never be able to afford more than a few jumps at that rate. Even me, with 1.3mil credits...a small fortune, wouldn't last long though.

Keep up on the JUMPGATE idea though. It has promise.

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-27 08:14   
You know when you think about it, ya know you have to kind of explain this story wise...

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-06-27 08:47   
I like this idea, but with a few notable exceptions;

1. Make JG distance LESS than a WH distance, as they are now. Currently JGs only go to a neighboring system, and you need WH to get farther.

2. No cost to use. Credits are gonna be spare when the upgrade system kicks in, and MAKING credits in the MV is not an easy thing to do.

3. Make them similar to ships, in that you can capture them by landing infantry on them. You would also need a worker to repair them.

4. No locking the gates, like you do a planet. This would just create too much trouble.

5. Resources to build them would be slightly higher than that required of a SY. If you can spawn a Station from a SY, why make a JG alot higher? Illogical.

6. Give it HP slightly higher than a Station. No shields or armor tho. Shields would interfere with the JG operation.

7. As it would have a "crew", a PD system would seem a logical option. Perhaps you could specialize it so that to add PD systems would cost more resources, albiet not a huge amount more.

8. Give the ability for more than one engy could work on it at a time to cut down on time to build. We can do this now when building a planet. Some people don't have 3-4 hours to play, and long build times will only discourage them.

9. Build points should be awarded for building it, and ship damage points for destroying it.

More to come.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-27 10:15   
Faction command should also pay an engineer for the creation of a jumpgate in an external system. An idea I've been playing with, is a upgrade system for the JG's. They hold silo's, which need to be filled with the required resources for the next upgrade, obviously, each level needs more and more resources, not are not required for the maintaince of the JG, although, i've been toying with a repair system...

There will be several levels to upgrade to...The first being armour/hull upgrade, so it is twice as strong, once the resources are available, the engineer/s can then start to build, earning prestige AND credits for their work. The next level would then be the Defence system, this would be a PD system or ring placed around the gate, defending it from most (not all) missiles/fighters. Again, engineers would gain prestige and credits from doing this. The last upgrade would be the offence system, a few missile bays and fighter bays, nothing more. Now an aditional system I had an idea of, was a repair bay. Now this would be built fairly quickly, the last of the upgrades. The system would pull resources from the silo, and repair the gate if it was damaged.

Now, these systems, could be platforms, where they are spawned at a certain point around the JG. Obviously, the hull/armour upgrade would just be in the gate itself.

Its a way for new players to get into the game quickly, where experienced players can protect the new ones, so that they can build the gate, they earn both credits and prestige from doing this, setting them up for the long run.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.013173 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR