Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Brainstorm - Change to Jump gate system
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Brainstorm - Change to Jump gate system
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-23 12:49   
Not so sure about the charging for use until the economy and finance systems are done... And seams to negate the reason for a fleet to build a gate to get its members to battle if they have to pay to use it... But yeah, will have to take into account a max range... Longer than a ships wormhole device, but no more than the farthest system or two seperation distance.

So you only get shown gates in your range.

Email Tael
Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-23 13:06   
/me craps pants. /me starts to salvinate extremly.

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
WinterRose
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-24 01:32   
Maybe another suggestion about this? I dunno if I may have missed a thing or two.. But this has the potential to bring back a frontline to the game..

I think that maybe WHs should be able to only open in a large distance around one of these buildable jumpgates? Of course, any friendly system would allow a WH open..

It STILL gives the option for the more sneaky and industrious people to sneak a Engineer to a further away system. Maybe with the help of a resupply.. Of risking a couple stop off near some Hydrogen PLanets..

Just a thought.

Email WinterRose
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-24 01:54   
So..from what my small mind has picked up on. It will now possibly take weeks, to possibly months to finish a faction off? I love the Idea possibly, but it does have some flaws. Maybe a system of metals/credits/population can be worked out into it? Maybe
Should work out to Distance/Population/Metals/Credits

100k-300k platform- 20 population/20,000 metals ( Witch ever you choose)/30k credits

301k-500k platform- 40 population/40,000 metals/60k Credits

Going on and on with distance, multiplying each number by two each time,except for credits, witch you can add 30k to, or just multiply it by the two, to make it costly.

This system could work out so on and so on, taking atleast an hour to work up the population and minerals for it...Also, maybe it can have infantry involved, where an enemy force lands infantry, in attempt to capture it and use it for it's own purpose? Many possibilities...

Give me some feedback and add onto the Idea

[ This Message was edited by: Crimson on 2005-06-24 01:56 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-06-24 13:07   
Charging for use would be a big no-no. We are supposed to be military, not civilians. That idea jsut doesn't make any sense.

Maybe once the economy system and fleet based control etc. can be implemented then it could be introduced, but it think charging for travel in this way would actually be a big detriment to gameplay.

Goto the website of Drafell
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2005-06-24 13:19   
then how about keeping the gates supplied of a rare metal like hypermatter...
if it runs out of hyper than the gate just shuts down.

- Axi

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-24 13:42   
Woohoo ive been bugging around for that for months

im with this idea...

---
about resourcing... a couple extractors could tag along... Kinda be like a team effort when building it.

[ This Message was edited by: Ospolos on 2005-06-24 13:46 ]

Puddle Jumper
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-24 14:24   
Why would people spend the time to build a jumpgate when they can just Wormhole?

Thats the point I was trying to make before, with WH's there isn't a need for Jumpgates anymore as people just mostly bypass them with a WH.

I like the idea of being able to build a JG but I would also like to see WH's removed.

There really isn't a need for WH's anymore as Stations are able to Jump again.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-24 14:47   
because not everyone is FA+, and not everyone can use the WHG...

Also player built JG's are faster...i.e. they are always up, no recharge...what if there was one over to sirius, and it took fleets to maintain it and keep it operative....there would be battles of JG's not just planets...its another form of strategy.

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-06-24 15:00   
I think a system where you need cargo resources to build it would work.

the first load of metals would be enough to build the basic hull and armor. The other metals would be required to complete the actual facility to operational levels. I am thinking a lone engineer would require 10 loads of cargo to build one completely.

Something similar to the old 'traderoute' interface could be used to manage where the destination is, and the ability to lock them according to rank and fleet.

I still want to see the wormhole range reduced a lot.

1.5 mil gu for station, 700k for cruiser.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2005-06-24 15:02 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-24 23:27   
i like draffels input.

i however do NOT like the idea of paying money to use these. or hull damage. because people will just use WH instead of the jump gates if it damages thier ships.

Also: to build these things should take transports full of metals. and i mean a Few. this has to be a real team effort.

and this Is a great idea. this will add huge significance to jumpgates and i can just see fleets duking it out for control of a gate.

Email Meko
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2005-06-25 00:06   
My 2 cents:

I see two ways that gate-building could be balanced out, so we don't see every system linked to every other system inside a week.

Method the First:

Include several levels of jumpgate. Each level would cost more to build, take longer to build, have higher health, and be able to establish a connection over a greater distance. The really high-level gates should require a massive investment of resources and time to construct.

Method the Second:

Have one jumpgate, which costs a moderate amount to build. When it comes time to link them, make the actual linking process require a high amount of a rare resource (Urdanium or Hypermatter or something), which increases for the distance linked. A jumpgate between two nearby systems should cost a reasonable amount; a gate that reachs halfway across the Metaverse should require an astronomical (ba-dum tssh!) amount of resources. Also, make planets with this resource scarce, so they are primary objectives in the Metaverse.

Email Jim Starluck
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-06-25 03:44   
I like the idea of having the option to build Gates.

IMHO, Puddle Jumper is right, Haveing Gates, FTL' Drives, WH Devices, and the Quickest way of all the Ship Yard .. Im not sure where this will all end up but, Eventually we will all be 1 thought away from eachother for Space bar madness.

When I envision "My" Ideal Mv, I see it much as it is now, but without gates, and Natural WH's to systems. I know that the overall purpose is to get people to where they want to go, at a Faster pace and get them into the Action, but there is a part of me that thinks this is crap. I mean that in the way when considering this question, "Have people become so Lazy that a 5 min (300sec) jump time is too much to wait or to plan out for? "

Lets Take "EvE online" as an Example for long Extended jump times. Now im betting most of you out there havent played EvE becuse your highly addicted to DarkSpace. That being the Case, Ill tell you that from my Experence in EvE, i did 2 things, Minned alot for Ore, and Spent hours of time just going from 1 system to another. Jump times in DS are Fine. WH times in DS are Fine.

Thats why i Say Get rid of Gates, and if you give us something to build in deep space besides "Tactical JumpGates" please give us SuperStations.. outposts.. deep space Depots ,, platforms.. Deep Space Ship yards.. Sensor arrays.. Spy stations.. and minning posts. Someting that we can have a vested interest in. A reason for people to travel from system to system for hours without saying

"OMG 460 sec in the JUMP countdown .. thats crap!!!"
" Get a Screen Shot, LOL!!"

DarkOutlaw-S|S-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-25 19:18   
I like CharAznable's idea about adding other buildable's AND buildable gate's, it adds new stratigies to the game (that it needs)....

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
CharAznable good idea

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-26 17:44   
My 2 cents;

(1)Gates should have a max distance or else people will be able to make gates to a faction's home system easily if no one is on at that time.

(2)Could be a good idea, but I am seeing a lot of issues taking out all the jumpgates. This is because If a player is required to jump out to other systems that are not connected, it will be extremly time consuming to just capture 2 systems even if they are within 500,000 gu.

(3)My beliefs are that in order to add this system the current jumpgates should be kept, but extremely limited. Lets say each faction has 3 systems, including their home system, all connected but jumpgates that are permanent (indestructable in other words). Everything else will require a built jumpgate. Heres a diagram to help out.
----

----

This is just a rough draft, please feel free to comment and add suggestions/ideas.

[EDIT] As I have just reread Charz's post, I believe the 'permanent Jump Gates I created in this diagram, should be replaced with natural wormholes. Making it more realistic. Also, add a timer on these wormholes, such as the ones in the metaverse, that turn off after so long, and then return after a specific time.

~Switch

[ This Message was edited by: _x$witchBladex_ on 2005-06-26 17:49 ]
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029819 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR