Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » I may be removing ship modding...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
 Author I may be removing ship modding...
lightning[Voyager][ A ]
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 11:41   
yes Faustus, but, making only one ressource, will that not make it harder to make profit out for those who need credits from bying from a planet that has extra of example: heavy metal and sell it to a planet in need of this specific ressource?

lightning

[ This Message was edited by: lightning[Voyager][ VA ] on 2005-07-21 11:42 ]

[ DARKSPACE STAFF ] Website & News Editor / DarkSpace.net [ FRANÇAIS ]

Email lightning[Voyager][ A ]   Goto the website of lightning[Voyager][ A ]
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 11:44   
If you're gonna remove modding, just for me i hate having PSI missles in place of Torpedos, so if you could the ships i want with torps are the Beak and the Drainer, i just dont wanna keep modding that lol

Email GothThug {C?}
Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 11:46   
hrm, the only one i seriously like is

7. Remove "Resources Lost" from prestige calculations.

there is merit in "keeping it simple" but keeping it too simple removes depth from the game..

i like the mod customization, but perhaps the various lvls of weapons/armor/etc should have a decreasing lvl of effectiveness/lvl of upgrade to decrease the different between a lvl 1 item and a lvl 10 item..

lvl 1 item= power 100
lvl 2 = power 110
lvl 3 = power 115
lvl 8 = power 122
lvl 9 = power 124
lvl 10 item = power 125

scale it in a logarithmic?(exponential?)

way so the higher the lvl, the lower the added power, the higher cost

Power added to base(summation of existing upgrades)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cost of each lvl of upgrade

Or you could reduce the number of upgrade lvls

i enjoy the customization aspect of darkspace immensely

i do not want to see darkspace turn into subspace where its just mindless button mashing, i like changing out my weapon loads to customize my ship for certain roles

However, i do recognize that there is a window for *extreme* mods that lean one way or another..

MechCommander was faced with this issue in terms of customizing weapons, their solution was to limit maximum numbers of certain types of weapons per mech.

this translates into setting a hard number of weapon limits in darkspace

example:

a dreadnaught can mount say 18 "standard mount" weapons

but set a limit of 10 disruptors maximum, so that a player *can* put on up to 10 disruptors, but must find 8 other weapons for the other mounts.

this keeps ships from exclusively mounting a single weapon type that becomes unbalanced when employed in excessive numbers..

or assign a weight value(points) to each weapon/lvl item and once a player exceeds the maximum "weight" of a ship, he cannot upgrade more or install new devices, so that you have the "ability" to have 18 weapons, but perhaps 12 lvl 10 weapons maxes the weight of the ship out.. since higher power weapons would conceivably "weigh" more than lower power ones..

make things "simpler" but don't dumb things down, darkspace is different because it adds strategic "depth" to the game, don't make it so resources are inconsequential to the game, and don't make cookie cutter ships either please

Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 11:47   
If you are gogin to remove then please take a look at this :: !!!

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=35364&forum=1&8

Commander of the Heavy supply Ship Laden

lightning[Voyager][ A ]
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 11:48   
Hey i also tauth, by removing ship moddling, will that not make the credit useless? Because, the credits right now are mainly to buy and upgrade our ships...

By removing ship moddling, no more credits, no more need to make was i called ressource profit ( read on top to know what i mean ), so then, it would be loggical to put back a single ressource '' ressources ''.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 11:51   
hmm, dont remove ship modding, remove THE FIGHTER BASES! atleast, gawd i dont know how to emphasise this. earlier today in sirius i was sitting at a planet and low and behold a station and a picket destroyer arrive and what happens!? THE LAG HAPPENS AND I CRASH RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF CYA! lol however, just remove the fighter bases and i'll be happy

Email GothThug {C?}
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:06   
Im gonna have to agree with everything F proposed. Right now with modding as it is, its "Who has the deadliest setup" With modding gone it would be more along the lines of "Who is the better pilot?"

I mean lets look at things right now a modded dread can whoop the stuffing out of an undmodded dread true, which means the ships became unbalanced because one does completely more damage and can take a much heavier pounding than the other. And ive been on the un-modded end quite a few times, its like you dont give the guy a chance.

With modding taken out, the EAD-AD-Siphon will be (Hopefully) equal in firepower, the only thing that could set them off is the pilot which IMHO makes the fight more interesting. And it also gives people with equal piloting skills a fair chance instead of one guy having the uber ship and the other having a normal stock.

Of course modding does cause people to not want to lose your ship, cause modding takes forever. So with things taken away, you dont end up having less ships on the field to back you up because they lost their modded ship and need a new one.

But then again im just aggreeing, and these points are just in my opinion. But otherwise good work Faust, im anxious to see what comes of your ideas ^^

-Hellwing

Email UnknownWarrior
Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:18   
OMG! people read the topic which i posated the link too it deals with this very issue!!!!!

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:19   
Yahh, so when does Medusa come out? Ima make my own game... I agree with Southpark.

$milingJ35te|2™{=21st=}[R33HG]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:20   
[rant ]
its a good idea and all.... but then again why cant we just roll back to 480? stack bombing and the whole shabang? in all honesty that was the version that kept people here, all ur ideas as posted sound great, but im reminded of a time where huge fleets took to the MV and battled it out for upwards of 12-16 hours, and many ships where lost, but no one cared, the lag was intense... still no one cared to much, the old vets where here, coombie, snafu, ozz, GS, KC, from kluth, all the ICC mucka mucks, the knights of templar, the boys from agents, the ugto heavy hitters, the BSS crew, the GTN crew, and GDI, that when this game was in full swing, and i have sat here through all the patches and releases and fixes, and watched so many good player that helped keep this game amazing turn away with a huge shrug, and say "maybe i will be back next patch", maybe instead of nerfing all the goodness that brought and kept me and many other great players as mentions above, can u impliment this plan? keep the new ships? fix the "lag", and impliment a mission system or a taxation system as i have posted here Fleet Economics, a new sense of purpose in DS how to make mad bank, ADMINS READ! for us to build credits and NOT abuse it, i love this game, its the only game ive played for longer then 2 mos with out growing tired of it the community and everything in the game, i love this community, and i think u have made something real good, u did good richard *salutes* this is just a rant from a DS vet, flame if u will, altho i dont see a purpose in it [ /end rant]
Sincerely,
Fleet Admiral SmilingJester

Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:20   
regarding credits for modding:

give everyone a 50mil $ coupon ans get that problem solved forever (you wont loose creds anyway)

The current modding and leveling system for the ships is good in general (has some issues that can be adressed rather easily).

I for example like the fact that 1 single cruiser has hard time bringing a dread down.

i admit, i have not been here when there has been no modding, but seing stock ships and their.... questionable setup does not make meWANT to see that kind of DS

[ This Message was edited by: PutEADRearTorpsToFrontPlease on 2005-07-21 12:23 ]

lightning[Voyager][ A ]
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:29   
giving away that amount would be too easy, and for those who needs mining press and after they mine they sell it.

by giving away 50 million credits, they wont have a reason to mine...

[ This Message was edited by: lightning[Voyager][ VA ] on 2005-07-21 12:31 ]

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:32   
I've just emailed Faustus about this proposition. The "plus count" resource system from the days of pre-release beta was the best resource system DarkSpace has ever had, period. I sincerely hope it can be properly re-implemented, and I promise all of you who remember it that I will do my part (as you should to) to make sure this is done.

-Dem

Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:40   
OMG! i am getting seriously depressed now!. so much that i will copy acroos what i sadi so you wil actully read it!

Change one::

Remove the option to upgrad ships entirenly, an introduce a "loadout" screen. This would happen before you enter the game but after you've selected your ship.

The ships should all have Stock stuff equiped when you select them, but when you go to the load out screen you can change them for what you want. All the ships avabile should be chosen as they are now, by rank and badges. then you should be able to selet what you want for the ship you coose depended again on your rank/bagdes.

Each items of a particular rank will be balanced out.
So the game's stock ships are fully balanced, but when you start to change what there equiped with to unbalnce it into/out of your favor to do certain things.

E.G. Change the entire stock stuff of a bomber so it becomes unbalced and is great for bombing, but lacks any defense.

Change the stock of a sensor ship for esstenaly sensor duites, remove any serious offensive capabilites.

Mwahahahahaha

warner_lowcharge
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:44   
mining pres?

well i like the idea of no modding, but still i would like to choose between missiles or torps..that's all

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Page created in 0.034091 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR