No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » To all ICC: MV Chart Updates
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author To all ICC: MV Chart Updates
High Councillor Takari
ICC High Councillor
Interstellar Cultural Confederation

Posted: 2007-01-06 04:49   
Greetings, my loyal and brave subjects!

I come to you directly today in response to a few inquiries I've received from some of your glorious pilot brethren. As you all know, recently a number of our heroes and notable figures were honored via a renaming of a number of celestial bodies. While expressing the pleasure of seeing some of our heroes immortalized in such a way, a question came up about names: Why is our home system named CD+36*15693? Few other systems, after all, have numbers, and even when they do, their names are still intelligible.

This of course got me to thinking: surely, CD was short for something, right? Since delegation frees me to lead, I tasked the Scientific Committee with checking our old charts and records to see if they could figure out a reason for the name, or at least a meaning behind it.

As it turns out, the name is originally from German, and means Cordoba Durchmusterung. Durchmusterung means a sampling, originally used in terms of early surveys of the sky from Earth; it described various systematic surveys of foreign stars. At the time, there were a few land-based observatories, one of which was in Córdoba, Argentina. The naming scheme refers to the degree above or below the equator, and the number of the star in order found. This means that our lovely star was 36 degrees south of the equator and was the 15,693rd star found in this band.

There are other names in the system, as well. It could be Lacaille 9352, but we can all agree that may just confuse the issue with the other Lacaille system. Based upon other classification schemes, it has also been referred to as Gl 887, Hip 114046, HD 217987, CP(D)-36 9694, SAO 214301, LHS 70, LPM 849, LTT 9348, LFT 1758, and Cordoba 31353.

However, none of these are particularly… anything.

Thus, it was suggested that we rename the star. Now – before anybody gets their hearts set on a new name they came up with, keep in mind that these sorts of things are not trivial. A change of this magnitude will have to pass a general planetary referendum, gaining approval of a majority of all allied ICC systems as well as a supermajority of CD planetary governments. Additionally, it will need to pass a vote in the Scientific Committee and gain approval by my office. And while we are at war, we still maintain diplomatic ties with the UGTO High Command and the K’Luth Council and will need to at least not come up against their disapproval (their approval isn’t strictly necessary, but it would be difficult in a number of ways for us to have differing opinions on the layout of the quadrant). Thus, there’s something of a gamut to run in terms of gaining approval.

But we are ICC! If we were afraid of hard fights and uphill battles, we would not even exist! So, in light of the opportunity to rename our home system, I turn the issue over to you, the fine citizens of this Confederation. I will handle the formalities of idea nominations and voting once nominations are gathered, but otherwise I will be as one of you – placing my opinions and vote in equality of your own.

Here is your chance to further impact the system: nominate your idea for a new name for CD. There are no requirements per se, but something retaining the CD acronym would be nice for historical continuity. You can honor a brave pilot of old if you wish, or pick a name with particular meaning in your planets home language or dialect. Whatever you wish; this is entirely an open field.

This is just the nomination stage; once the ideas are collected, voting will begin on the ideas. You can talk about your ideas or the ideas of others as you please within this debate, but you need not vote. Members of other factions or organizations are welcome to comment and participate to the extent of your local laws, as this is a public network, but please remain respectful of the debate.

Nominations will be accepted until the end of next week, Sunday the 14th. After that, they will be reposted for voting.

May the stars burn bright and always light your path.

James Takari
High Councillor

----------------------------------------------

Current Nominations:
(this list may not be immediately updated)

1. Farstar or Far Star, to recognize our heritage and original name when we broke away from UGTO rule
2. Ataraxis, which means peace is SwitchBlade's native language
3. Ants, in honor of the pilot of Fatal Squadron of the same name
4. Spero Licentia, the Latin for "Hope for Freedom"
5. Rutilus Astrum, the Latin for "Red Star" since CD is a red giant
6. Vega, because it sounds cool
7. Alnitak, because it sounds cool
8. Rukbat, because it sounds cool
9. BUMZ
10. Cita Domus, loosely translateable as "Call of Home"
11. Ano Concurous
12. Iyoku, which means ambition or will
13. Katrina, in honor of the wife of Rocko Willis
14. Alpha Orionis, the name sounds great and noble and fits in well with the rest of the starcharts
15. Masimba, which means Bravery and Courage in Shauna (Shona?)
16. Contra Dolor, meaning against pain, grief, misery, or however you'd like to translate it
17. Contra Dictator, signifying our stand against UGTO oppression
18. Simba, which stood for bravery in something called the Lion King
19. Calgatus Dwarve
20. Capricorn Decon
21. Comandus Dulos
22. Libertatis, in honor of our liberty from UGTO
23. Cristal
24. Mieren, Dutch for Ants as it turns out
25. Polaris, since this ball of fiery gas is apparently lovable
26. Chimaera Dernier, Chimaera represents the force and will of the ICC, and Dernier as CD is our last line of defense
27. Espoir
28. Speranza
29. Deseo
30. Tutti, a name for a passage for an entire ensemble or orchestra without a soloist, signifying the unity and strength of the ICC
31. Malice in Wonderland
32. Cruiciate Draconis
33. Murkshroud
34. Cyia
35. Beambrood
36. Oazye Nonus, meaning blue space in Peanutopia
37. Dit-Xew
38. Sodallagain
39. Valhallan
40. Caelum Domus, meaning Heaven's Home
41. CD Celestialis
42. Sigma Draconis
43. UV Ceti
44. IOTA Piscium
45. Xi Ursae

[ This Message was edited by: Representative Lissierre on 2007-01-11 01:37 ]

Representative Lissierre
ICC Representative

Posted: 2007-01-06 04:56   
Since the High Councillor is rather long-winded, here's a brief summary:

The ICC is considering renaming the CD system to something more meaningful. Since this is an issue affecting us all, its being opened for a general ICC vote. Rather than us tell you what to choose, we're letting you give us the ideas for what to rename CD to.

So, within the next week, post your ideas for CD's new name. There are no limits onthe suggestions. After the week is up, we'll collect the ideas and create a ballot on which you may vote. Right now is just the nomination stage, though, so stick to those for now.

Note that no name is guaranteed and must still meet government approval, regardless of popular support.

The nominations end at the end of the day on Sunday, January 14.

Use this debate for anything but voting; you can explain your idea, support others' ideas, campaign, discuss ideas, etc. I'll be updating a list of the nominations on the High Councillor's original message so we can all keep track of things in the meantime, but it may not always be completely up to date, so read everything if you want to be fully informed.

Also, for those of you forgetting some of your galactic history, there is a nice summary of it here in the Galactic Library where you can brush up.

Faithfully yours,
Allandre Lissierre
Deputy High Councillor

[ This Message was edited by: Representative Lissierre on 2007-01-09 05:27 ]
Allandre Lissierre was first elected the the Uaelas Planetary Council in 2258. Her successful program of social reforms led to an unexpected victory in 2268 when she was elected to the office of Deputy High Councillor for the ICC.

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-06 05:21   
Farstar or Far Star or any variation thereof...

Simply put, it is the core name of the ICC, and probably one by which the nation is commonly known. It seems fitting that the core of ICC territory should share the same name.

That's my suggestion anyway.

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-06 11:12   
Ataraxis

--Stands for peace--

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Ants
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-06 11:26   
Well since im the first Actull ICC dead hearted player to post i say it could be named "Ants"

That is all

Lacrosseian
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-01-06 14:49   
How humble of you Ants, back to Ants Hill for you.

Anyways my suggestion would be the Confederate Dominion considering ICC is a confederation and it is our home system.

And I am not a die hard ICC, sorry Ants.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-06 15:40   
I second Lacro's idea!

Also, my own ideas..

Spero Licentia - Latin for 'Hope for Freedom'

Rutilus Astrum - Latin for 'Red Star'

[ This Message was edited by: Crim on 2007-01-06 17:08 ]

Email Supertrooper
-Smokey-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-06 16:56   
Vega
Alnitak
Rukbat

Sound cool

[ This Message was edited by: Smokey{Recruiting} on 2007-01-06 17:00 ]

BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
Cadet

Posted: 2007-01-06 17:16   
BUMZ
"03:01:01 Rogue Spear: When i first read Squad Broken, i thought Squad Broken was actually Rev's life story"

Email BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)   Goto the website of BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-01-06 17:25   
In talking with Representative Lissierre the name of Cita Domus has come up, which is a butchered version of a language that predates the Dark Times. The loose meaning of which is Call of Home. It still retains the history and relevence of the simple two letters by which the majority of Confederation Citizens have become accustomed with, yet adds depth and meaning to them beyond some silly numbers.

Thus my nomination is Lissierre's proposal of Cita Domus.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Hawk™
Cadet

Posted: 2007-01-06 17:47   
Ano Concurous

I just made it up.

[ This Message was edited by: TheEvilHawk on 2007-01-06 18:12 ]

Email Hawk™
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-01-06 17:54   
My vote is in for Farstar. Represents the ICC nicely, I think.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Cratz
Lieutenant Commander

Posted: 2007-01-06 17:58   
I vote for Far Star

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-06 18:01   
Iyoku (means ambition/will)

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-06 18:11   
If you want to support an idea, feel free.. but the voting isn't until next week.

Email Shigernafy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.017189 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR