No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Connection failure to pacher and GameCQ
 Author Connection failure to pacher and GameCQ
2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-12-29 15:16   
So, I'm happy to hear 1.5 is out and that I've been given a spiffy new coupon to jump back in (hi, everyone, btw.) The trouble is, I can't even get into the lobby.

The inescapable sequence goes like this; I start Darkspace, the downloader boots and everything seems to be being recieved (darkspace file,s DLLs and the like.) But then, when the loading bars top off, I get the error message "failed to check for updates, continue?"

If I continue, I get a status window proclaiming "connecting to gameCQ server" with a progress bar that never fills. This inevitably ends with "connection to gameCQ server failed, please try again later."

The status pane on the site indicates there are 5 servers up and ~190 people online, so by the information available to me I should be able to connect.

Now, I'm not sure just how compatible DS is with Vista (which is, for all high-level intents and purposes, XP with an extreme makeover.) I'm also running a router that may have the ports firewalled. I'm also jacked right into the network with an ethernet cable, so that's definitely not a perpetrator of my problems.

Is there some simple, obvious fix here? What can I try on my end to rectify or pin down the problem?

Email 2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan   Goto the website of 2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-29 15:21   
This is using the new installer? (or at least a 1.5+ version)
GCQL got a pretty major makeover and it might not be able to update from an older version; in any case, its safer to use a newer installer if you can manage it.

If you did use a new installer, then the fact that there are so many people online implies to me at least that it is something on your end - but I've personally never had any issues with firewalls in the past... so hard to say.

Email Mithrandir
2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-12-29 15:48   
Well, I've had issues with TCP/IP direct connect multiplayer games (still mostly unresolved.) I'm pretty sure it was a port forwarding issue where the game was using restricted ports (which I opened up.) I need to find out what ports Darkspace uses in order to get them opened up.

I've also tried connecting with my computer firewalls off to the exact same effect. I'm almost sure it's a router firewall issue as it's really cryptic on my end (if the router blocks a connection, my computer would just read a timeout, which I'm rather sure is happening.)

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-12-29 15:54   
Ports 9000-9200 should pretty much clear you completely for any DS activity.

Like Mith said, try the new 1.5 installer.

2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-12-29 16:05   
Might as well sue this accidental post for soemthing. I used a v1.5 installer from one of the mirrors (it was a fresh install, the machine I played DS on before is long gone.) So, assuming a stable, current version of gameCQ is included it shouldn't ahve been a problem with updating.

Anyway, I'm trying a fresh 1.506 install from the palestar mirror... that will take a good few hours. I'll see if that changes anything.

[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2008-12-29 16:06 ]
Oops, MySQL query error (lost my connection.) Guess I double-posted.

[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2008-12-29 16:12 ]
[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2008-12-29 16:18 ]

2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-12-29 20:07   
Okay, that download staleld and I'm not waiting another hour. Maybe the isntaller was corrupted? Blah, I'm out of ideas.

kovarid
Cadet

Posted: 2008-12-29 20:22   
I had the same problem, until I ran Darkspace as an Administrator. If you're using Vista as I am, try that..

-Kov

Quote:

On 2008-12-29 16:05, Sobaan wrote:
Might as well sue this accidental post for soemthing. I used a v1.5 installer from one of the mirrors (it was a fresh install, the machine I played DS on before is long gone.) So, assuming a stable, current version of gameCQ is included it shouldn't ahve been a problem with updating.

Anyway, I'm trying a fresh 1.506 install from the palestar mirror... that will take a good few hours. I'll see if that changes anything.

[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2008-12-29 16:06 ]
Oops, MySQL query error (lost my connection.) Guess I double-posted.

[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2008-12-29 16:12 ]
[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2008-12-29 16:18 ]

2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-12-30 09:48   
Actually, I'm running on my admin account and still really getting no other signs in relation to this bug.

I also tried forwarding the gameCQ and darkspace ports and lowering my firewalls to try and log in. That was no good.
[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2008-12-30 11:38 ]

Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2008-12-31 06:37   
If you are running a release version of the 1.5 installer, then that should work.

When first attempting to check for updates, the GameCQ client will contact IP 216.240.152.146:9100.

It will then connect to IP 209.198.133.215:9000 to perform the login authorization and connect to the GameCQ Lobby itself.

The browser interface within GameCQ currently operates on IP 209.198.133.214:80.

And the game update mirror-server is currently using IP 216.240.152.146:9101.

If you are using Windows Vista, you may also need to refer to the Running DarkSpace 1.5x under Windows Vista topic.
[ This Message was edited by: Mr Black, The Irresponsible Cynic on 2008-12-31 06:41 ]

2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2009-01-12 20:45   
I tried connecting on a different network (one so different its 3k miles away) through my old XP comp and things seem peachy. Ultimately, the problem may be null because it might have been the temperamental router back at my family's home (which I don't really have to worry about anymore.) The drawback is I wasted roughly 13 days and 23 hours of my 14 day re-trial coupon because I couldn't connect and didn't get home until very recently.

So, one constructive thing; I managed to find out I'm still good at bomb surfing. That's about all I had time for

Page created in 0.026968 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR