No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Kill Badge
 Author New Kill Badge
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-12-30 23:12   
Proposing a new badge for DarkSpace, to help control the Dreadnaught population and keep them in capable hands. In a nutshell:

New badge and associated stat, that exists as a pool of a maximum 100 points. Each kill that you contribute a yet-to-be-determined amount of damage to or are grouped with contributers, and near (Near: 4000-5000gu?) them to ensure that you were involved on some level, will grant one point to this pool. Deaths will subtract from it. Ships will require a certain amount of points (adjust the total of 100 as you see fit, it's only there for ease of percentages), with dreads at, ideally, 80, elite dreads at 90, cruisers at 60, elite cruisers at 70, or something along those lines. The system could be limited solely to dreads and stations, as those are the most expensive ships and thus the ones we only want capable players flying. Getting kills should not be too difficult, once we find a way yo make people fight more instead of fleeing the moment things look bad, so most players will be able to reach this easily, proving they have live combat experience and are really ready for Dreadnaughts- while keeping people who die in their dread over and over again without ever getting kills, out of them.

ADDENDUM
Possible change? You can only gain points from kills of ships ABOVE your class. So, once at "90", a Dread pilot can only get the last ten point buffer from station kills, and must otherwise use cruisers to get a safe number over 90.
[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2009-01-07 22:20 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-30 23:24   
Quote:
so most players will be able to reach this easily

Thats the problem I have with it.

If somethings too easy, like this is, then its redundant. People will gain that experience before they even have that rank, without even trying. Only the very stupid could fail to do well enough, and anyone that stupid wouldn't be playing this game.

For something that supposed to be semi-rare and powerful, you want competant people flying them. This doesn't help if its too easy, then anyone can do it. It should take effort, at the very least.

I'd say, points should be awarded not on total contribution but a person showing exceptional skill. When their deaths are small compared to the amount of damage they've done, when they use their ships in a way they were intended to, actually thinking You know, things you have to use when you're in a big ship that your fleet might rely on.

How we can come up with that, I don't know, but math helps, I hear.

-Ent
[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2008-12-30 23:29 ]

Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-12-31 11:32   
So what we really want here to calculate the things for a badge is a ratio of the amount of deaths by the amount of damage.
So we could possibly do something like this?

Bronze: 1 death to 2 damage points.
Silver: 1 death to 5 damge points
Gold: 1 death to 25 damage points.
Platinium: 1 death to 50 or 100? damage points.

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
spatula
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-04 14:33   
for the damage:death ratio, it goes by the name kill:death ratio (KDR) in FPS's. The only issue with that is you people who will run whenever things look bad in order to preserve their death score, and I think the OP wanted the opposite to happen

Email spatula
Page created in 0.010179 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR