- Weekly DarkSpace
05/18/24 +1.2 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/24 +7.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » darkspace 2009
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author darkspace 2009
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-06-13 22:37   
Tael is more of the security chief on this ship, as I understand it. Also a modeler, but there're some monkies that need wrenching for that.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-06-13 23:05   
we used to have a 2nd in command, whose named shant be stated except that it starts with N. didnt work out so well as you might imagine.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-13 23:49   
The 2IC usually suffer from the same problems as the rest of us: you can promote one of us, but then we lack the technical experience to accomplish anything more. Or you can get someone with experience, except you can't, because its unpaid. So you get a Maverick who does great for a month or two, and then realizes that Bank of America doesn't accept fixing dictors as payment for his mortgage.

Email Shigernafy
Nexus01
Cadet

Posted: 2009-06-14 08:57   
How about one of the current devs getting more skilled, and use them?

Probably just as unrealistic, but just throwing the idea out there.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-06-14 10:45   
Quote:

On 2009-06-14 08:57, Nexus01 wrote:
How about one of the current devs getting more skilled, and use them?

Probably just as unrealistic, but just throwing the idea out there.

I, too, feel that giving devs with no formal game development training access to actual source code (afaik they don't have it now, what they do now is tweak values and the like to help balance) is the way to advance a game. Also, if any of our devs don't drop what they are doing and learn C++/lua to not get paid I feel that they should be killed.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-14 10:48   
already know c++/lua >_>

Email Sens [R33]
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-14 12:24   
We have access to the vast majority of the code, actually. There's just some areas we are not allowed to edit, and then a lot of it that we don't for lack of expertise.

Someone asked a while back on languages, also. Its all C++, with a bit of Lua thrown in. And a lot of stuff is done in the Resourcer, a little tool for managing assets - a more complicated version of the map editor, but you can edit ship layouts, system layouts, interface, etc.

Email Shigernafy
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-06-14 18:53   
Quote:

On 2009-06-09 09:24, $yTHe {C?} wrote:
1. Recode to 1.480 - Yes

2. Recode to 1.480 - Hell yes

3. Recode to 1.480 - What are you waiting for?

4. Recode to 1.480 - I cant use expletives

5. Ban Crim - A chorus of joygasmic yessesesessessess!

Nuff said.

Bring back Nimbernafy
[ This Message was edited by: Banshee on 2009-06-14 18:56 ]

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-06-15 19:32   
Nimby was the original artist for DS. It was his views of the two human factions and K'luth that set them the way we know them. He started work on the Mi long before we left beta. Problem was there was only an initial "idea" for them and two unfinished models.

I was left to figure out how the rest of their ships would look based off these two unfinished and untextured models as well as fixing the artifacts in the two models he did leave us and adding a few more textures for them.

I implemented the pirates though they are as yet still "unfinished".

Sunshine was the original senior community administrator. He stepped down just before we left beta and passed the torch to Selvarian.

Selv ran the community and headed up the volunteer dev team before burning out and turning the seat of senior admin to Dr Evil who only held the seat for three months before leaving for other ventures. Thus promoting me to senior community admin.

I assist with dev where necessary though my primary roll is to maintain the community. All community and discipline issues are sent to me. All appeals are sent to me and I make my decissions typically after each of the other admins have weighed in with their oppinions.

For those few brain children over the years that thought they are going over my head by emailing Faustus directly always find out that those emails are always forwarded to me by Richard to deal with anyways. All you do is further hurt your cause because now you irrated Faustus with things he doesn't care to deal with. And typically I get a note as to why am I wasting time talking to you instead of just banning you outright.

As Shig said above, we have full access to the source code but its been made abundantly clear that ALL changes we wish to make have to be placed in our bug and revision tracker and approved first before we are permitted to actually work on them.

These era's of work come in spurts around other peoples, especially Faustus's, work schedules. Occasionally someone comes along to spearhead things but free help only lasts so long.

Mavrick made it clear he was only around to help for a couple of months and that time has come and passed.

I've been with this game since 2001 and an administrator since 2002, and senior admin since end of 2002. We've seen a lot of ups and downs but still have big hopes for the game.

Email Tael
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-06-15 22:25   
Quote:

On 2009-06-15 19:32, Tael wrote:
"derp"

tl;dr - He draws pretty pictures and is the reason Goth is unbanned. Also, Selv is awesome.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-06-16 01:22   
Quote:

I've been with this game since 2001 and an administrator since 2002, and senior admin since end of 2002. We've seen a lot of ups and downs but still have big hopes for the game.

More like a continual down since 1.480. I have yet to see DS recover from that in the past 5-6 years.

Every version it seems, we keep some of us hardcore dedicated people, but you lose more and more. And that playerbase as shrunk ever so slowly over that time. From a constant 60 players to now barely ten, on an average day.

You'd think by at this point someone would realize that maybe you're going about things the wrong way. Because it seems that in total denial of reality development tends to continue in that direction of not really fixing the biggest problems.

And thats really made all the more frustrating by common sense solutions.

I don't understand that, do you want the game to die? Because someone must, otherwise we'd have realized a month or two after this version that there were serious things wrong with the way the game mechanics were constructed.

Its now a good 8 months since then, and every head guy in this game seems pretty apathetic to the fact that even the lobby is deader than it has ever been.

You know its bad when even lobby campers start to leave.

I may not like xTx or his seemingly insaitable need to troll everything, but his is just a repost of a repost of the majority dissatisfaction of the game.

If we can't accept that fact that the game needs serious fundamental changes at this point, then I honestly can only say good luck with your veritable Titanic.

-Ent

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-16 06:06   
Quote:

the volunteer dev team

This needs to happen, again.
[ This Message was edited by: Little Pet Slinki, The Inane on 2009-06-16 07:52 ]

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Redemption (Angel of Light)
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2009-06-16 06:45   
first id like to say sorry, didnt mean to come off i was bashing shig before, had a bad day, but i do agree with ent that really something should have clicked, main reason i stick around is becouse of us hardcore people who cant seem to leave, even the dev when their on are fun to chat with, but that can only work for so long pretty soon people will get bored of eachother and wonder why they pay to talk to them, but i do see the point Teal is making, theres only so much you can do with volunteers but some times to make things better you need to spend money even if its just paying a dev to do some work.

Email Redemption (Angel of Light)   Goto the website of Redemption (Angel of Light)
Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-06-16 16:54   
Well dev log beeing updated now! thats awsome

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-06-17 05:06   

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019014 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR