- Weekly DarkSpace
05/18/24 +3.8 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/24 +10.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Could be part of why the game is dying
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author Could be part of why the game is dying
KillFace
Captain

Posted: 2009-09-18 12:26   
1. We can't get bugs fixed fast enough, ya'll speek of new versions.

2. Bug fixed are easier than new versions

3. A new version, were it attempted, wouldn't be ready in 2010. More like mid - to late-2011.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-09-18 13:09   
DS is lacking professionalism and I still am subbed, damn!

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-09-18 14:22   
Ds is dying coz of YOU!

Thugomatic
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-18 18:11   
Kyanos u hit it on the head

kyanos
Midshipman

Posted: 2009-09-18 18:31   
killface, i did actually address that on my original post if memory serves, DSA had alot of the features that are buggy in this darkspace, so i suggested taking a peek at the code in DSA to see if a fix could be derived from that, or... well, something anyway.

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-18 22:10   
Quote:

On 2009-09-17 01:50, Enterprise wrote:
I'm suprised people are still trying to "suggest" ways to improve the game, when ways to improve the game have long been obvious but been largely passed over.

i dont really think its being passed over for any other reason then "what can feasably be done in a acceptable timeframe" and/or "will it require a total rewrite of a major part of the core code" when it comes to the bugs that are still to be adressed.

i'm pretty certain none of the ppl that work on darkspace actually want the bugs to be in the game. but i think its time to start to think that some of the bugs are just not doable depending on how deep down the core of the game those bugs are. because even a game like this cost money to develop, and a rewrite of the core code could potentially be very expensive.

and i'm pretty sure the current sub money covers much of that.

i'm quite happy to be wrong here tho so please correct me

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-19 00:47   
My point really wasn't about bugs; they're fixing a feature of the game that is acting in a completely unintended way.

No, the problem is that some of those features that, when working in their intended manner, do not make gameplay enjoyable.

Its simply a disagreement over the way the game designed, not about how the game design isn't working because improper coding. So when I say 'suggesting fixes' its not about the bugs - they must be fixed. Its about the features themselves, which is the opinion of whomever is posting - which really isn't a fix, is more like a change.

-Ent

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-19 02:36   
Hey guys, long time no see for most of yall. It's amazing to me that I can even still recognize names here. But what takes the cake? The fact that DS servers are still up and running. This game is getting close to a decade old and guess what, it's suffering from the same bugs (as I've just read about) as it was back in 2002. I'm sorry to say, but if dozens of patches and new updates haven't fixed this game to where it can actually be marketed and played by a wide player base... it's time to give it up. It can pay to be an idealist, but after years of absolutely zero success, you have to face reality, DarkSpace isn't dying, it's already dead. I mean, really Faustus, you've got to move on and take what you've learned and apply it somewhere else. The fact that you have carried the game so far and for so long is a credit to your dedication. But isn't it obvious by now that DS isn't even a 2nd rate MMOG? I loved my time with DS, but it's not a viable product, the "player base" it has now are really just enthusiasts and it's clung to in an almost cultish manner. I know no one wants to hear or admit this, but it's true none-the-less. There are what, 200 players with actual prestige? That's gotta say something. Shut the servers down and move on Faustus, put your energy into something that will actually go somewhere, not into a dead end.

Chubba
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-19 05:33   
Quote:

On 2009-09-19 02:36, Lith Ragond wrote:
Hey guys, long time no see for most of yall. It's amazing to me that I can even still recognize names here. But what takes the cake? The fact that DS servers are still up and running. This game is getting close to a decade old and guess what, it's suffering from the same bugs (as I've just read about) as it was back in 2002. I'm sorry to say, but if dozens of patches and new updates haven't fixed this game to where it can actually be marketed and played by a wide player base... it's time to give it up. It can pay to be an idealist, but after years of absolutely zero success, you have to face reality, DarkSpace isn't dying, it's already dead. I mean, really Faustus, you've got to move on and take what you've learned and apply it somewhere else. The fact that you have carried the game so far and for so long is a credit to your dedication. But isn't it obvious by now that DS isn't even a 2nd rate MMOG? I loved my time with DS, but it's not a viable product, the "player base" it has now are really just enthusiasts and it's clung to in an almost cultish manner. I know no one wants to hear or admit this, but it's true none-the-less. There are what, 200 players with actual prestige? That's gotta say something. Shut the servers down and move on Faustus, put your energy into something that will actually go somewhere, not into a dead end.

Sad but True

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-19 07:42   
Originally when I posted this, I was looking at the game thru the eyes of a new player. Some of the issues they would encounter.

The post has gone well beyond that, and that's all ok. It's been an interesting discussion. I wish the same old "Kluth is OP'd"/"no we aren't!" arguements would go to their own thread, but whatever.

Thank you Faustus for the free trial. Hopefully some new blood will come. But please get the patches done as well, or it's all for naught.

I'd like to say that I don't think anyone here has done anything more than express some sort of love for the game, and desire to see it more successful. It's cool, really, when you think about it. I've watched a similar situation happen with SWG, and it seems that game is finally coming around to give the players what they really want - ironically by reintroducing old ideas.

We begged for scenarios, and they did give them back. I don't see anyone in em much, which tells me they still need some reworking in the way of new maps. Maybe we should do an event, give away double bonus points for a weekend if you play in the scenario servers.

I like the idea of a whole new version of DS. DarkSpace2? I could live with it. But at the rate that Faustus & co. work, it could be out by 2025. It would be an interesting thread: "What would you like to see in DS 2.0?"

Anyways, let's keep encouraging staff and Faustus to keep at it.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
kyanos
Midshipman

Posted: 2009-09-19 09:20   
i wouldnt call this a second rate MMO O.o honestly, darkspace is /the/ best space MMO i've seen... most of them manage to screw things up on a fundamental level, and this is the first, and unfortunately likely to be one of the very few that doesnt. no, im not being flattering in the least, darkspace does have its own issues, but its a game that i feel, overall, does it /right/. that alone makes it first class in my book. bugs come with every game out there, doesnt matter how hard the coders work, there will be bugs. they need to be fixed, yes, but there will always be bugs.

best example i can think of is to take the most popular space MMO out i know of. EVE online. a point and click movement system. in a three dimensional environment. uh, i'll pass on that thank you. i actually tried it in a trial, got sick of the navigation within a few hours >.<

Darkspace is two dimension as far as gameplay goes, yes, but overall thats not really a detraction from the game itself. its a beautiful game, the mechanics and such are awesome, though they take a bit of getting used to (i plowed many planets while learning to fly too stupid to try it in open space instead of near things)

as it is, from just about everything i've been reading, darkspace is currently unstable. thats the only core issue with it. other than that, how many advertisements have i seen for DS? none im afraid. in other words, its popularity is solely reliant on word of mouth at the moment. so the playerbase as is cannot be considered a true reflection of how well darkspace is accepted by the general public, because if i go up to random people on the net (and i've asked alot of my friends i've met since playing this) if they've heard of Dark Space, most say no.

yes, darkspace has a small playerbase, yes darkspace is 10 years old, but honestly, that doesnt make a difference. quite a few of the new games are made lazily, with an eye on how easily are we able to make money, instead of trying to make a good game. so in that sense as well, darkspace trumps the newer games.

now, i've been looking for years for decent PC space games, preferably open ended, or perhaps space fighter styled, mainly MMO, but you know what? in all this time, darkspace is the only one i've found that i actually like... for better or worse, space games, fighting games and mech games are pretty non-existant in the MMO community, as true representatives to the styles, rather than an MMO with 'omg my character is a machiiiine!', or better yet, 'im a martial artist, now let me activate my spell... er kung-fu skills!'

used to be that decent games were the norm, not the exception, but nowadays its all about money money money, and it ruins perfectly good games.

honestly, if you think the fact darkspace has a small playerbase is representative of it being a dead game, how about going out there, assist advertising the game, it might actually bring more people into the game, which would get the makers more money, which means they might hire more coders, which in turn lessens the workload, and means they can get things done faster

i've been talking to my friends about the game, and in all honesty once i have a stable income im going to invite them all to DS, get them to try it out instead of me just talking about it, and if they like it? heck, i'll sub all the accounts myself
[ This Message was edited by: kyanos on 2009-09-19 09:21 ]

Jaing
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-19 20:39   
You know, I'm starting to learn C++ programming if it would help. I'd do coding for free (I'm a teenager, what else do I have to do after Chem homework?) if I thought I could help out with making this game as great as it was when I joined, what, two years ago now?

Admiral Ronon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-20 08:42   
Suggestions...
Make it free to play.. and maybe make an item mall where upgrades can be paid or items that give u x2 experience in prestige gain. Just a thought...

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-20 10:30   
They also need to make this game more fast paced. Look at Allegiance 100's play that and it's sooo old but it's fast paced and fun.

DS is like watching a turtle crawl across a freeway. It gets boring after awhile.

kyanos
Midshipman

Posted: 2009-09-20 11:25   
keep in mind i havent logged into the game so correct me if im wrong, but faster paced games are what the Scenario servers are for, the metaserver is for larger scale, and larger scale is almost always slower to set up... but no, the main thing i think is, in the metaserver, if memory serves it consists of multiple sectors/galaxies connected by long-distance jumpgates correct? are the jumpgates open all the time or are they open only sometimes? in DSA it was only sometimes...

keeping them open all the time would be rougher on the newbies, but it would let folks fight eachother more often... the other option (in my mind) which ammounts to the same thing is make a way for people to carry their ships over to a foothold thats been established in the other sector...

again, my understanding may be odd, but when you make a shipyard on a planet, it becomes a viable respawn point, but when you choose to spawn there, a whole new ship is created?

mostly, easiest way to make the gameplay in the meta's faster is i think to make the sectors link up more often in some manner

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026272 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR