Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Newbie Problems
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Newbie Problems
Nuuna
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 10:09   
First sorry for my bad english but i am not native speaker.

After a while playing dark space i think its time to make a resumee of thought come to my mind.
I have started playing in the Metaverse Sangitarius. Oh dear mistake, come out, dreadnought, instantkill. Okay i thought, there was something called beginners are, look there. Wonderfull, not to hard ships, but less player. Hm not very nice to play there for a long time. I farmed than prestige in the scenario, a bigger player gave me that hin, and used supply ships. Than after a while i was 2. Rear Admiral. WOW i thought, Metaverse i come. What happend, Dreadnought, shift j and away. Secound try, an Cruiser was the enemie nice fight, than, station, station dead. Okay, other tactic, stay ad the bigger ships with supply. Station Dread come in, dead. "Its tactical important to kill the supplyships first" hm what the ~~^?!*^@ i thought, what i can repair in 5 minutes they shoot down with 3 volleys. Okay, taking a combat cruiser in the scenario, fighting with NPC,s , than Incoming battledread, shift j, other battle dread jumped after me dead. Instead of fighting withe the other dreads they fought against me, like they said, easy kill. Nice....not important where i play, i am the prestigegiver for everyone. I looked for other Rank based scenarios, but found none, why? Why is there non for people up to 1. Rear so that Dradnoughts are not allowed? We have enough Server so one could be a place for little player to fight each other, lern tactics and have fun. No Stations, no dreadnoughts are coming and instant killing.

Oh and now the larger dread pilots come and say, don`t whyne you are faster than we and can jumper earlier. YES thats true but where is my chance to move something? I also want to play this game with enemies equal to me so the chancec are balanced! And not always want to be on the run. Or forced to supply my hole way to Admiral to get a dread. And thanks to whome will say now, Vice Admiral is enough for dread, yes i knwo that the manual is very good to read while supplying and be forced waisting hours and hours doing nothing other than wait. That will be one of the points why there are so less player, no motivation for smaler ones to have a competion against each other!

just my 2 cent

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-25 10:22   
Both Ursa Minor and Rogens Rift have a rank limit set in place so no-one can take out Dreads.

Dread pilots are also right in saying it's an absolutely nightmare to try and hit smaller ships. If a bigger ship tries to hit you, just do a quick manual 500 gu jump, and speed away. Requires time to learn, and the fact that other ships are killing you quickly says to me that you perhaps need to concentrate on learning the ships advantages and disadvantages, as well as focusing on improving your tactics whilst fighting larger ships.

You'll be happy to know that Dread pilots get almost nothing for killing a smaller ship and is usually frowned upon. This is due to the fact that Dreads are there to be used for taking out larger targets, and wasting energy, ammo and cycle times on small ships that cannot threaten you alone when there are larger ships about, is not a good idea.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-03-25 10:26 ]

Nuuna
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 10:42   
BackSlash i dont want to be unkindly but what i sayed is the answer oh dread pilots, not something sucked of my fingers. They should attack bigger people but often wont do it. With the both universe limited is new for me never saw it.

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-25 11:26   
For the most part KLUTH players will look for the small targets.. something they can 1 shot, kill, then leave.

Supply ships... well yes these are targets I would personally take out first as you are helping the bigger ships. Not because you are an easy target but because you help the big ship I am fighting.

Now all that being said. Midas I understand where you are coming from. But you also need to understand that those bigger ships shooting you also were in your position one day. It can be frustrating for new players. Some of us that realize that tend to leave you smaller ships alone. If you don’t want to die then you need to stay away from the bigger ships. And lets face it that is in most of the MV.

But like you said you do not want to play alone you want to play with other people. So suggesting to you that you go to newbie server or to Rogen’s Rift would also be wrong. Unfortunately you are just going to have to be in the space where there are bigger ships. Take notes though and learn by watching. You know that saying "what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger"? Well I say here that "what DOES kill you makes you stronger" you learn from it and do not make the same mistakes the second time. You learn how to move around better, jump sooner, and stay away from certain ships. There is much you can learn and now is the time for that.

Email Challenger
Nuuna
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 12:13   
CHallanger we played sometime together you know i am not worse. But i have to say its getting very frustating. Like i sayed, what i can repair within 5 minutes, you shoot with your base done in 5 secounds. But you attack the supplier first. Hope you know whats the problem is. And if everyone whas in the same position why are they doing it than. Because now they are the big fishes and want to show it to all the people. Only the larger one are not target they could kill them.
So for newbies is if you need prestige and ROgans rift is like today complete empty, go to the scenario use an energie pack maximum troops on board and build, day after day after day. Hope that no Kaluth Transporter comes andr drops 10 Units on you and perhaps, if your motivation is not going down in the 2-3 weeks you need to do that, you will be a big fish.

The End

P.S:
Perhaps the behavior of larger player is the problem, cause this game has so few newbies? They havent only killed their ship, they killed their motivation. Not from one kill not two, but this permanently been killt.

P.P.S.
Oh and today another amusing episode. 2 Dreads and me as Cruiser vs, 3 Dreads. Shilds down jump away. What happend, 2 dreads jump behind me.
Jeh Jeh they should kill the other dreads but why, it sbedder have killed a cruiser.

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-25 13:25   
2 things I want to say.

1st is I am looking over my brothers shoulder while he is playing and I am eating lunch. I notice that a KLUTH cruiser jumped at a UGTO planet and started to try to bomb it. Well my brother and one other dread jumped this KLUTH cruiser who was bombing and killed him. Situations like this are exactly what you are talking about Midas. But seriously why would someone sit by and allow their planet to be bombed? The players complaint was "I’ve been out of the game for a year and this is what i come back to... screw off" This is the attitude that those of us who have been around for a while have to deal with. But again I ask what are we supposed to do? Jump to a SY and hurry to get into a cruiser or destroyer and then hope that the bombs haven’t reached the planet yet and try to jump to that planet and stop the bomber.... Umm NO you jump straight away to the bomber and stop him. Of course this made him and every other new person who tries a stunt like that angry.

2nd and more specific to what you said you shouldn’t only be complaining about people attacking you but you should be complaining also about the people that you fly with. Communicate to them that you are new and need someone to hang out with to help you learn. Me personally I have newer people come up to me and say that and I go out of my way teaching and helping them. So it isn’t just the attitude of the people you fight but your teammates as well. But you need to make sure you are communicating to them as well looking for support.

I lied 3 things to say.

3rd there are many people like my brother (Jackal) who have gained almost 100% of their prestige in the Metaverse. Some things that have helped him with that process most importantly being in a good fleet to help him with hints and flying partners. Also most importantly having me around to ask questions and show him what to do in situations. Now I understand not everyone can have that but you can type to your teammates and ask them for suggestions or help.

It all boils down to communication. And I know you can make your prestige in the MV. it would be slower to make it in the Scenario servers and faster in the MV but that is a choice you need to make. If you choose the MV then there will be more obstacles you need to face. You cannot expect people to cut you slack just because you are new. But some people will offer it and hopefully you fly with some decent people who would be willing to help you.

Email Challenger
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 14:02   
For the most part, your chance to "move things" typically comes in pairs or squadrons. As a new player you play a vital role in support. Now I'm not just talking about repairing others, I'm talking about ecm and eccm coverage, point defense, bomb cover, planet capturing, platform base construction, and intel. Yes dreads have all the nice weapons, but its you, the little guy, that moves things forward. That being said, I assure you, small ships are more than a match for larger ships in groups. Just look at SFC, we gladly pull out the scouts against all odds :>.

Email Sens [R33]
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-03-25 14:12   
By the sounds of it your having troubles playing on the ICC end of things. If you ever see me in the MV and have any questions feel free to ask. If I see you I'll also try and help you out any way that I can.

Teamwork can be pretty much nil no matter what faction you play on. Other times the factions work very well together. It just depends on the players that are on at the same time as you. If you get older players then the teamwork usually works out pretty good.

All speculation of course but regardless. Just hang in there, dont let things aggrivate you and just try to enjoy playing. As Challenger said, everyone starts out in that small ship, some went through the same stuff your going through now. It all pays off in the end though if you stick to it.

Email UnknownWarrior
Nuuna
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 14:17   
My problem with "everyone starts" is that most of the player have forgotten it.
Another nice example today in Metaverse a rocket dread fights with another dread. Okay i sayed time for killing a platfom bam rocket spam and instead fighting a true enemie he was friring on me, 2.000 Klicks far away. yes.....
and i dont think this is a solo problem of me.

Communicating is a good thing and hints and tipps. The last tipp i got was abaout 1.40h ago, go builing in the scenario, 200 Prestige later and 1.30h Played my question, play i sim city?

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 16:20   
Hopefully when missions comes in this would fix that

I understand you really, and i agree with you, althou currently we have no power whatsoever over that, you cant simply tell people to let there hard earned ship go and go somethign for your level only * Especially for Kltuh*

hm sure a specialized Destroyer Dread killer but weak agasitn anythign smaller would help XD

Anyway for the time being, follow the other guys, if you see a dread fight another, don't try to jump in the fight yet, be there as a Support, meaning once the dreads gets a certian armor weaken, focus on that side, you got the speed the dreads don't

Or use misisles from a far off range away from the fight, don't be affraid to run, or even die if you don't mind, when everyone pulls to repair ge ttha trsuppy, help fixing and when there reayd to jump just switch ships again and join the fight
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-03-25 17:34   
point jumping works great for this problem.. i dont know what faction your using..

but mostly you want to stay 600 to 1000 gu away from your tgt as ICC.

practice 1000gu tatical jumps

step1. press shift+J

step2. Press J

step3. move steps one and two closer and closer together untill you have the desired tatical jump distance.

the best part is your going to get press while you practice! and you learn a skill that will keep you alive all the way up till your in dreads.... then its useless again.

Another great secret of mine.. altho this one is well known of the vets

Padma of FS taught me this one.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 18:03   
Quote:

On 2010-03-25 16:20, Zero28 wrote:
I understand you really, and i agree with you, althou currently we have no power whatsoever over that, you cant simply tell people to let there hard earned ship go and go somethign for your level only * Especially for Kltuh*

ugto

once you get near them (<5000gu) you get point-jumped by 3 dreads
you jump and you get jumped by another 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the problem at the moment is:

ugto have way to much big ships
you either have to join em, or you cant do anything

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-25 18:28   
Doesnt help that RSM is UGTO and they are just about the most active fleet with the most members and of course almost all of them fly dreads.

Wish KLUTH and ICC had more active fleets might help a bit.

Email Challenger
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-25 18:41   
If you are supping people get under them. With stations if you are a supply you hide under them, there rings will protect you. With dreads its a little more tricky and for the most part you need to be behind them or at least put who you are supping between you and the enemy.

For combat, with the Heavy Cruiser stay at least 500gu away and always fly at max speed. Dodging left and right constantly, will make there shots miss you while you are hitting them and they can't doge.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-25 19:09   
I would happily fly a Destroyer or below if a newbie ever finds himself outmatched against Dreadnoughts, because I remember the times when I flew Destroyers at best myself, and the aggravations they can bring.

I should say that at the time Destroyers were not really inferior to Dreadnoughts the way they are now - anyone saying otherwise is too gung ho on the "you need skill!1!11!!!" and forget that that isn't something that comes from 2 hours of playing.

That said, I think you are right, in that sometimes players obsess a little too much with "gaining the kill"; and, as K'luth at the moment, I admit gunning down that harmless little Supply amidst the fight with a big Dreadnought is pretty attractive, because that Kill+1 is a direct measurement of your "victory" over the enemy.

Yes, Supply Ships are vital ships and play an important role in helping a fleet stay afloat. They also regenerate the weaponry of enemies, and their hull and armour as well. The minute impact this makes may be pivotal in turning a battle around, and so the decision to "shoot the supply" is "a tactical advantage" - however, it's observably true that this is a tactically unsound decision, as the energy and ammo expended to destroy a Supply would undo ten minutes of their work under the circumstances where a single Supply is active.

The more Supplies there are, the less of a tactically unsound solution it is to shoot the medic.

---

I think one of the problems you may be encountering is the idea among players that success in the game is measured by the amount of kills you acquire, and the amount of resistance the opposition can deliver.

That is to say, if you are outnumbering a Destroyer with four Dreadnoughts, then you are "successful", on accounts that you successfully defeat the enemy and they have ill means of reprisal.

For some, there is success if there is an animated and active battle on-going, or if you can defeat an enemy despite the odds being against you, or similar things. Because, however, your selection of ships puts you at a level where people can most easily measure their success by kills, you have a bit of a problem.

The best suggestion I can give you is to appeal to people over /y to grab smaller ships to level the battlefield. Sure, there are many players who feel that "ability to field a large ship" translates into "obligation to field a large ship", but there are players who do away with that thought and fly small ships purely and solely for the reason that they feel a small ship is warranted against other small ships.

After all, taking out a Station to counter a Scout is a rather tactically unsound decision, and I imagine real life Fleet Admirals would very quickly find their post under examination were they to make such decisions.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022284 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR