No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » a minor issue with cloak
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author a minor issue with cloak
NaNoBuM
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-26 22:36   
While following this topic I was amazed to find that 3 out of 5 pages of posts where suddenly deleted. I understand the need to filter out any unnecessary junk, non-relevant comments and/or inappropriate posts. And I appreciate the time and effort that is put into maintaining them, I know that most forums are a junk-filled jungle. But in this particular case, some posts that held the views of players (lots of luthies) were promptly deleted and brushed aside. As our mods/devs are very touchy in these matters I shall hold my tongue and say no more. But please keep these few top lines as a reminder that all you see here is NOT all that was written.

A) its pathetic that senior players can be so unconcerned about prestige that they can risk losing a dread just to kill someone at 1% hull, not to mention the absolute unsportsmanship of it.
It is my opinion that you where engaged in battle, made it out to one of your planets IN SYSTEM.... and at that point, the fight was STILL ON, whether he pursued you or not was his choice. Whoever did it, saw you jump in, got in position and nuked you. Totally fair and if I was in that position at any time, I would have done it. It’s not like you spawned somewhere and he was waiting for you.
I’m pretty sure that you where just unlucky because as a kluth, we don’t camp (usually) a cluster of planets that has your Depo central. Firstly because we usually don’t know where it is and can’t be bothered to SIT there and WAIT for YOU to jump to us ALONE and at 1% hull (hours of waiting I would expect). It’s not going to happen... and a depo planet, your strongest spot?!?! Risking getting pinged?!?
Second we usually don’t fight SOLO. It’s a known fact that no kluth ship (without exception) can match up toe-to-toe with it’s UGTO or ICC equivalent. Not even the KRILL, the ubberest dread we have (or that the ENTIRE game has) can match the AD or EAD (theoretically one class lower) when uncloaked and at full weapons range.
Third. It’s a game about WAR. 3 Factions, all enemies. No mercy.

B) I paid money for the enhancements on my ship, money that has just been partially wasted by this obscene tactic
You do NOT NEED to use upgrades, they’re a PRIVILAGE you purchase and use at your own risk. A standard 8xAdv is the equivalent of 6.4 dollars, divided by 20 uses it’s .32 cents.. I mean, you’re really getting this upset over 32 cents?!?! Or is it just your pride?

C) it doesnt seem remotely fair that kluth are able to sit a dreadnaught in the middle of a planet cluster, the place you should feel safest and most at ease, without consequence unless you are actively looking for them.
Ok. While it IS science fiction, the DEFINITION of a cloak is a device that gives you TOTAL invisibility. In the game, we suffer great drawbacks because of it. If you don’t think lower speed is a drawback, I’ll take 5 gu/s from your favorite dread and see how well you fight.

We now have the feature (originally an exploit) of pinging as an acceptable compromise to the “perfect” cloak dilemma. If you’re fighting a kluth, a band of kluths or suspect that kluth are around (you DO see us jump don’t you??) you should have your ECCM on. If you don’t, it’s YOUR mistake, not ours. Furthermore, the use of scouts, beacons and sensor platforms are by default your best defense. I’ve seen a great lack of tactics on our opposing teams in their use. More than once I’ve been bested by a scout that keeps beaconing be before I can fully cloak. This fact alone would negate the cloak. Ohh skill?? Well, no coment!

Uncloaking in a cluster of planets, alone and with another ship around is a risky maneuver at the best of times. Sure, we pull it off. The cloak gives us the ability to train on doing it, practice and maintain our skills on energy management and damage spreading on armor. Even the best of us make mistakes and die because of it. Our ships, even the biggest, are paper thin. We cloak to get some armor back, it’s the only way to survive. You do remember that when you run out of energy, cloak fails, right?

Safe? Log off. If enemy is around, don’t go AFK, don’t fantasize in F2. At 1% hull, you should just be shouting how lucky your stars are. Not how much you deserve it. No-one can plan a 1% jump. Anything below 5-10% is just plain luck, you should have died.

“And, of course, this all heavily favours k'luth dreadnaughts. They don't have to worry about speed or manouevering, since they can just hide until the perfect moment. They don't need to worry about missing small targets, because they have perfectly accurate beam weapons. They have the most guns, which is what matters, and they have the armour to survive their relatively slow cloak times.”
I totally disagree with this. You know how hard it is to kill a scout?!? Guns? You mean torpedos? Or SIs? SI’s don’t hit dreads 50% of the time at +300, don’t even get me started on the rest! Let me know when we have cannons to speak of... ohh wait, ganglia has 4! (how many of those have you actually SEEN?)

“The problem with the skill argument here is that you can't counter "skillful" use of k'luth ships with "skillful" use of UGTO ships. The way to counter a cloaked k'luth ship is, basically, lots of ECCM, which requires no more skill than getting a mob of sensor scouts. Except that you'd need something like 16 scouts to have an even battle with a dreadnaught.”
Let’s see. 2 scouts (just in case I kill one), 1 dictor, rest TCs, ACs or any heavy dmg ship. Yup, that would get me, every time if I’m in a dread. Tag and kill. Ohh yeah, you gotta shoot at the same guy, eh!?

“Kenny, K'luth are currently very powerful and have a huge advantage at this sort of cluster/planet warfare, and is one of the reasons why K'luth hold such a big % of Sagittarius.”
Humm, I think we should “own” much more than what we have. Last I checked, 30% of sag, home system. Seems I have to go to work capping YOUR planets

“There has always been thoughts of a 500 gu or so radius around enemy planets in which K'luth cloak is negated, and planets can shoot at them. We apply the same thought process in this instance to other factions - if you're within 500 gu of a planet, then you're either trying to capture it, or trying to kill someone. For that, there should be some sort of advantage fo the faction holding the cluster...”
The discussion about “planet structure” or negating cloak at planets can be argued with: what’s the difference then between the cloak and 2 or 3xECM. With enough of it you can be invisible 2. But “visible” to planet. Cloak = invisible, please respect that, no matter how close, or where you are. As soon as you DECLOAK you’re gonna get shot at baddly. The question you should be asking is how long can any ship survive next to the planet. You would probably be surprised how short of a time we have.

I want to make this very clear to my readers: the kluth are the most tactically minded faction in the game, by far. By necessity, we work as a team (wink to my guys at PB). Hell, I’ve gone over and KILLED people for not following orders or making mistakes. We have great “generals” that lead us into battle, that plan strategies using planets, stations and any other thing we find to our advantage. They call our targets, they position our pray, they cover the armor of the wounded. The fact that other factions don’t focus fire, don’t work together and most of the time don’t have the numbers to take us on is not our fault.
And one last thing... You’re just scared of us, cause you can’t see us.
NaNo BuM

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-26 23:29   
Quote:

On 2010-07-26 19:14, Lark of Serenity wrote:
for the record, other older cloak systems worked like this:

1: ECCM slowly drained energy. ECCM stacked drain and distance. the distance stacking was ridiculous. energy drain made some sense but was a bit much at time

2: cloak covered a ships base sig. ECCM raised it. ECM lowered it. problem was the ECM and ECCM forts that cropped up. a planet with all ECM bases couldnt be countered because youd have to bring 20 scouts loaded with ECCM to pierce it. this was also when kluth could fire while cloaked. invisible death beams = bad

3: current system, ECCM pings for a fraction of a second and pilots are left trying to guess where the invisible things are moving, meaning the average ICC and UGTO pilot is wasting a lot of ammunition and/or energy firing off into space trying to find the target. also, since not everyone is going to ping endlessly forever, kluth still sneak up on you. ive seen a fleet of kluth uncloak in a semi circle around a station and kill it instantly, which is the sort of thing that made us get rid of ECM forts.

other tidbits:
used to be able to see damage through cloak
used to be able to fire and jump while cloaked

You see, that's the problem.

If you bring back the old style of cloak, all K'luth has to do is to load up on the ECM and you're screwed again... back to the QQ-board.

You can load up your ECCMs, and we'll bring our Siphons and Scarabs with 2 ECM slots.... our Ultimate workers with 3 ECM slots... Clavates with 2 ECM slots....

And then what? You whine again? Because you then have to bring out many scouts to counter, which leaves you with half the number of dreads/cruisers to field and you get eaten up by K'luth again.

BTW, you would also have to make pinging illegal, since we're going back to the old system where pinging was an unintended effect.

Then what?

If you ask me whether there should be a 1000gu anti cloak field?
I say no, because K'luth weaps are short ranged. Most K'luth attack under 500gus. So, if you want to have a 1000gu cloak field, then K'luth should get 1000gu ranged SIs and PSIs.

It's a give and take equation. You want K'luth to be more visible? Then K'luth should get longer ranged weapons and more armor. That way, we can't get too close without being seen so we have to hit you from further out.... which is less effective and accurate anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-07-26 23:56 ]

Red October
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-26 23:44   
Quote:

On 2010-07-26 06:08, Gejaheline wrote:
What follows is a short essay on why K'luth ships are horrible. I'm not implying that K'luth ships are god-killing superweapons, since otherwise everyone would just play K'luth, but it should hopefully provide an insight into why the K'luth faction is the hardest to keep balanced with the other two sides.

K'luth are, in short, horrible to balance. Additionally, their tactics massively favour the use of dreadnaughts.

Why? Because they have cloak, basically. It allows them to use their favoured tactics at virtually any time, and any place. Let's have a look at their strengths and weaknesses, first. I'll probably miss some out, but hopefully I'll cover the biggest ones.

K'luth strengths:

Cloak. This is essentially perfect invisibility, vulnerable only to flying too fast and pinging, which requires lightning reflexes since the diamond only appears for fractions of a second. It also provides immunity to long-range missile and fighter attacks.

Auto hull repair and speedy armour regeneration. This negates the need for supply ships.

Lots and lots and lots of killy, never-miss beam weapons, along with all of the short-range, max-damage variants of various weapon types. They have the highest-damage core weapon, and the highest-damage torpedoes. Pressing spacebar on a K'luth ship generally results in epic amounts of damage on whatever's sitting in front of you. I think there are perhaps two non-k'luth warships that can kill scouts and destroyers in a single attack, and they're both assault deadnaughts. K'luth dreadnaughts can be reasonably expected to deal hull damage during a single pass, if not outright killing the target.

AMJD. They will ALWAYS be able to jump before you can.

Weaknesses:

Weak armour. They've not got the best in protective technologies.

Hugely aggressive weapon layouts. K'luth ships will typically have lots of front-only guns, although their dreads are something of an exception there. They still won't have as many rear-facing guns as other faction's dreads. Unless you're using a krill, in which case you have rear-facing core weapons, if memory serves. But then, all factions have exceptions to something.

Horrible energy management. Their huge arrays of death-dealing weaponry tend to consume rather a lot of power, as does their cloak. This also reduces their effective damage over time in comparison to other ships.

Short range. All of their guns are either beams, which are inherently short-ranged (although not as short as other factions' beams due to no falloff), or optimised for close combat in some way, typically trading range and velocity for more damage.

Now, most of these strengths and weaknesses seem fairly reasonable on paper. K'luth are a hard-hitting, no-defence faction that can give out lots of damage but not take it.

The problem, in a word: Cloak.

The cloaking device, as it is, is supremely powerful in that it negates a lot of K'luth's disadvantages whilst allowing them to maximise their advantages:

On the defensive, cloak allows you to easily disengage. Unless you have a gigantic fleet pinging you constantly you can probably live long enough to repair yourself or get to a safe distance and jump away. Once you've jumped, you can cloak to prevent anyone from following you. If nobody knows you're around, only the most paranoid of players will ping you and therefore notice you, and that's if they're lucky enough to be in range of you.

On the offensive, in combat, cloak allows you to make maxmum use of your optimum tactics. K'uth ships are best when facing the enemy at close range, from behind where they can't shoot you. Cloak makes it pretty easy to get into this position, and if you're not in position, then there is no need to uncloak. YOU get to choose engagement range, and YOU get to shoot first, typically crippling the hapless target. Once you've fired once or twice, recloak and reposition. This counters most of the k'luth's weaknesses.

Low relative damage over time is negated because your DPS is massively front-loaded: You deal all of your damage at the start of the engagement, and by keeping engagement times short, you reduce the opportunity for enemy ships (who deal a more-or-less constant amount of damage over time) to cause an equivalent amount of damage. This allows you to deal way more damage to the enemy ships than they do to you, particularly since they'll probably have to use rear or side weapons. This also allows you to kill smaller ships far more easily, since they will typically die in the first volley rather than be able to evade enough fire to make an escape.
This one is probably the main kicker, in my opinion, particularly since prestige gain is based on damage inflicted.

The very limited firing arcs are also rendered irrelevant, since you will always be facing your target. Otherwise, you wouldn't have engaged. Same thing for the short range focus. Additionally, you don't need to absorb enemy long-range fire because they won't be able to target you.

Weak armour is negated by the fact that you can cloak in order to avoid return fire. In addition, cloaking gives your repair systems time to work, so you can be at 100% for your next run, while your target will still be damaged. Unless they have a supply ship, but of course that can be killed first.

And, of course, this all heavily favours k'luth dreadnaughts. They don't have to worry about speed or manouevering, since they can just hide until the perfect moment. They don't need to worry about missing small targets, because they have perfectly accurate beam weapons. They have the most guns, which is what matters, and they have the armour to survive their relatively slow cloak times.

Oh, and it's really easy to capture planets, too.

All of this tends to make fighting k'luth fairly dull for the other teams, since if k'luth aren't killing you horribly, they're invisible. Which doesn't make for much in the way of rewarding combat or prestige gain, which is further aggravated by the knowledge that they're making oodles of prestige every time they hit the spacebar, and you know that if you try and use a scout you'll just get killed in one shot by a giant red thing materialising next to you.

Of course, if you took cloak away from K'luth, everyone would have a field day killing them, since they can't survive sustained combat.

tl;dr: K'luth are really hard to keep both balanced and interesting because any tweaking will cause them to kill everyone really easily or cause them die a horrible horrible death, neither of which are fun, and it's really hard to find a middle ground.

Postscript: About a billion people are going to counter the above with "Ah, but it takes mad leet skillz to play K'luth properly, therefore we are superior."

Let me counter with this hypothetical question: If someone turned up with a ship that was totally invincible and killed anything in one shot from any distance, but which required some kind of ludicrously complex control mechanism/keyboard combination/ in order to operate, which if more likely? Would you:

1: Defeat them with your even madder, leeter skills, in spite of their invulnerability?
2: Shrug, say "fair enough" and die in the knowledge that you were bested by someone even more skillful than you?
3: Complain bitterly and demand that this blatantly broken game object be removed?

Or, to put it another way: Is it acceptable to allow players to use unfair tactics as long as they're sufficiently skillful to use them?

The problem with the skill argument here is that you can't counter "skillful" use of k'luth ships with "skillful" use of UGTO ships.
The way to counter a cloaked k'luth ship is, basically, lots of ECCM, which requires no more skill than getting a mob of sensor scouts. Except that you'd need something like 16 scouts to have an even battle with a dreadnaught.

End rant. I shall donate 800 credits to the UGTOSPCG (UGTO Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Gaifen) if nobody manages to completely miss the point of the above essay and instead flames me. Otherwise I'll feel smug and spend it on an extra AI dreadnaught.

That my friend, is the best explaination of why and how we hate the Kluth.

Bottomline is: Cloaking counters the cons of being one and increases the pros.

[ This Message was edited by: Alanstar on 2010-07-26 23:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Alanstar on 2010-07-26 23:45 ]

Email Red October
Red October
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-27 00:00   
Quote:

On 2010-07-26 21:53, Lark of Serenity wrote:
re: planets; when kluth want to take planets its fairly easy for them. they havent been trying to take planets though, theyve just been running combat ops. they are very capable of pushing ICC or UGTO right out of Sag.

for planets:

one possibility is to make planet ECCM run differently than ship ECCM. it is a planet afterall, one presumes its resources are much greater than a ships. having planetary ECCM run by draining energy of cloaked ships, for instance, would be a quick fix that would still let kluth sneak in. it shouldnt stack though. the stacking thing is what made it ridiculous. or if it does stack it should have diminishing returns.

there is also the cloak rework i posted and that got moved to beta, ppl can comment/edit that to their liking and see what comes of it. adding special provisions for planets would be nice.

i dont think we are ever going back to ECM forting. that was just insane =(

the cost of dying in larger ships really needs to be upped too. people treat dreadnaughts and stations like theyre entirely disposable. it really ruins gameplay; people dont care about dying, so they do crazy things or dont help one another
[ This Message was edited by: Lark of Serenity on 2010-07-26 21:55 ]

If you up the prestige loss without addressing the problem of cloaking, you are going to end up on a team full of cruisers or destroyers flying around. What is bad about that, Kluth can pop destroyers in one hit and cruisers in two. That means we would be free lunch and prestige for them all day without them having fear of dying.

Now does that seem any fair? Untill they balance Kluth faction vs UGTO/ICC, that options in my opinion is not to be even considered. I don't want this game to turn into Kluthspace.

Email Red October
ThePile
Vice Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2010-07-27 01:06   
Eventhough I don't feel any sympathy at all for the thread creator - he does raise a valid point.

The luth cloak is too good. As the staff pointed out their strengths and weaknesses, the central problem seems to be the cloak. Which is not surprising because it provides perfect invicibility. It has no cool down, you can essentially uncloak - fire - and immediately cloak again.

The whole point with countering luth are to use ECCM and pinging-tactics.

But as the staff points out: you can only target a luth within fraction of a second before they're cloaked again after they've been pinged.

The only way to deal with this - without having to make their cloak's effectiveness based around planet - is to make their effectiveness based around ECCM and cooldown.

[Optional]
Each time they cloak / uncloak, they must wait a cooldown period before they can cloak/uncloak again.

[Priority]
Make the ECCMS more effective. Even with 5 or more scouts swarming a luth dread pinging it - you only see it a very VERY short time. The cloak could also be size relative: meaning that smaller ships can cloak as they can now - but bigger ships take a longer time before they're fully cloaked - allowing pings to be effective against them.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-27 01:24   
Ahh but you don't target the ship when it's pinged.

(don't tell anyone I told you that)

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-27 02:23   
hm interesting fact:
a luth-dread take about 20-30 sec to fully uncloak, and to be able to fire near a well build planet (without any ships running ECCM) and ~20-30 sec to cloak again

when i uncloak near 3 battle-dreads (icc / ugto) in a siphon i can fire one alpha till i have to jump out (with <50% hull left)

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-27 02:29   
While I agree with most of the reasons why cloak needs something to counter it a little better(a planet full of sensor bases can still EASILY be trannyrushed, which takes no tactic as kluth..)

ECCM Pinging is more effective than you think, IF you use teamwork. I haven't played in a couple of months, but when I did I would often be in an antisensor scout against kluth just because it was so effective. It was fun, even if I got no prestige(other than from the beacons).

Number your ECCM 1,2,3,4 and rotate them, pinging every 3 or so seconds. Along with everyone else pinging, you can easily either target the ship itself, or know the direction/speed its going and shoot at the location it will be once your weapons reach it(yeah, it takes a little more skill, but not much).. The scout, if he cannot lock on long enough after pinging to send a beacon, can point-shoot beacons to where the ship appears to be heading, making them visible for a second or so each beacon you add(up to 3 I believe?)

At least half-dozen times I have seen a small fleet of 3-4 cruisers and dreads kill a kluth that never even uncloaked. Usually happened after little battles..

One thing that needs to be done: Make using a scout more rewarding. What is it, 1 pres per beacon? 3 max per ship at a time.. Not to mention the beacon bug, once you are reloaded 1-2 times they stop working..

Basically what I am saying is if people use teamwork and play for fun rather than prestige, kluth CAN be countered. A planetary deterrent to cloak is definitely a must, but 1-2 AS scouts with 4eccm each work wonders for hunting kluth after a battle.
But like I said, scouts don't pay off until grouping comes in(I think I seen it on the beta list?). Even with grouping though, scouts need more incentive. New players don't know how to use them effectively, and older players usually want the big ships that they have earned, and want to gain prestige to get the bigger ships.

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-27 02:41   
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 02:23, NoBoDx wrote:
hm interesting fact:
a luth-dread take about 20-30 sec to fully uncloak, and to be able to fire near a well build planet (without any ships running ECCM) and ~20-30 sec to cloak again

Still, small kluth ships have no problem around a well built planet. Get 4 trannies, go in, uncloak next to the planet(you may get one volley on you, if that), drop inf, cloak and leave. Needs some deterrent to require a little more skill to capture a planet.

[ This Message was edited by: Julian Delphiki on 2010-07-27 04:34 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-27 03:06   
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 02:29, Julian Delphiki wrote:
While I agree with most of the reasons why cloak needs something to counter it a little better(a planet full of sensor bases can still EASILY be trannyrushed, which takes no tactic as kluth..)

ECCM Pinging is more effective than you think, IF you use teamwork. I haven't played in a couple of months, but when I did I would often be in an antisensor scout against kluth just because it was so effective. It was fun, even if I got no prestige(other than from the beacons).

Number your ECCM 1,2,3,4 and rotate them, pinging every 3 or so seconds. Along with everyone else pinging, you can easily either target the ship itself, or know the direction/speed its going and shoot at the location it will be once your weapons reach it(yeah, it takes a little more skill, but not much).. The scout, if he cannot lock on long enough after pinging to send a beacon, can point-shoot beacons to where the ship appears to be heading, making them visible for a second or so each beacon you add(up to 3 I believe?)

At least half-dozen times I have seen a small fleet of 3-4 cruisers and dreads kill a kluth that never even uncloaked. Usually happened after little battles..

One thing that needs to be done: Make using a scout more rewarding. What is it, 1 pres per beacon? 3 max per ship at a time.. Not to mention the beacon bug, once you are reloaded 1-2 times they stop working..

Basically what I am saying is if people use teamwork and play for fun rather than prestige, kluth CAN be countered. A planetary deterrent to cloak is definitely a must, but 1-2 AS scouts with 4eccm each work wonders for hunting kluth after a battle.
But like I said, scouts don't pay off until grouping comes in(I think I seen it on the beta list?). Even with grouping though, scouts need more incentive. New players don't know how to use them effectively, and older players usually want the big ships that they have earned, and want to gain prestige to get the bigger ships.

What you say is true. RSM, GTN and CEC have absolutely no problems whatsoever in going toe to toe against K'luth. TBH, from PB's POV, these guys are our preferred opponents. Even though there's always the rivalry and smacktalk, it's a fact that we'll always be glad to find each other in the MV. Pew Pew... not QQ....

You guys have made pinging into an SOP. Not easy to sneak up on y'all, that's for sure.

It's ppl like you that make me wonder why the ICC is QQ'ing so much against us. Previously before the Sag update, when it was just the 5 systems, UGTO and K'luth were always at it, fighting each other hard and often. And it was good battles too. No one complained much.

Makes me wish that K'luth and UGTO were placed side by side instead. And ICC on the far side with 2 buffer systems in between.

At least I'll spend more time fighting than arguing against QQ'ers about how OP the cloak is.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-07-27 03:10 ]

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-27 03:40   
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 03:03, Siginau wrote:
Seriously, does PB have to swap factions to show you that kluth can be defeated if you get a brain and someone to lead you?????

Truly the issue isn't that we don't know how to beat Kluth, its the fact we need competent players to do it and players in general too.

For ICC or UGTO to counter Kluth we need to meet one critical thing.
We need to outnumber you first to be able to bring out a dico/scout combo. Otherwise Kluth will have the clear advantage by ship size and number.

A lot of ICC players have no issue hopping into a smaller ship, like a cruiser or dessy, but when Kltuh show up we can't use them at all. Why? Kluth are, 9 times out of 10, in dreads. With cloak you will always get your best firing position, every time. Ping doesn't effect you that much, a few random shots will hit you. Each ICC ship has only 1....thats right ONE sensor slot. So with a fleet of 4-5 dreads thats only 5 pings, IF they ALL are paying attention. Stations have 4 slots, and usually run 1 scanner and 3 ECCM. Also no one leaves there ECCM running, since its more effective if you have just 1, to ping it, then to just run it. Stations can leave 1 or 2 on and ping the other, but mostly fleets don't keep it on 24/7. For one, it sucks energy, energy that ICC ships need for fighting and keeping shields running.

You also hold the majority of the vet players in the game, because Kluth is a safe faction to play as. As such you retain your players better and for longer then ICC or UGTO ever could dread of.

@Nano:

Almost all ICC AD's and UGTO EAD's run PFE drives on there ships, top speed of 11.5gu. Reason those ships use those drives is because there better at energy production at lower speeds then an IE or AFE drive. So even when cloaked a Kluth ship can run faster then either of those ships, and not lose energy. If I remember correctly from the times I have played with a siphon and krill. A Siphon can run (with its ECM) cloaked, at 11-12gu and not lose energy. A Krill (with its ECM) can go 13 gu and not bleed energy. Thats faster then both human ships, and your CLOAKED!

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-27 03:44   
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 02:41, Julian Delphiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 02:23, NoBoDx wrote:
hm interesting fact:

when i uncloak near 3 battle-dreads (icc / ugto) in a siphon i can fire one alpha till i have to jump out (with <50% hull left)

1- Why are you attacking 3 battle dreads in a siphon?
2- Why are you attacking 3 battle dreads ALONE?
3- Why are you attacking 3 battle dreads... Near a well built planet.. Alone..?

1- i attack dreads in a siphon
2- i didnt attack 3 bd alone
3- i didnt attack 3 bd near a well build planet

usually luth hunt in packs
usually all ships in range uncloak, when one uncloak to attack (and focus on one target)
usually the first luth-dread, who uncloak, is the prime target of the enemy, and that dread is either dead or have to run most of the time, before the icc/ugto-dread is dead

human ships can survive 3 luth-dreads uncloaking at their rear, luth-dreads can not survive focussed fire from 3 human dreads
and a single scout can help killing a luth dread, sneaking around (maybe to get into ab better possition to strike) in a mater of seconds if an equal amount of human dreads is around

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-27 04:40   
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 03:40, Starcommand of ICC *XO* wrote:
Ping doesn't effect you that much, a few random shots will hit you. Each ICC ship has only 1....thats right ONE sensor slot. So with a fleet of 4-5 dreads thats only 5 pings, IF they ALL are paying attention. Stations have 4 slots, and usually run 1 scanner and 3 ECCM. Also no one leaves there ECCM running, since its more effective if you have just 1, to ping it, then to just run it. Stations can leave 1 or 2 on and ping the other, but mostly fleets don't keep it on 24/7. For one, it sucks energy, energy that ICC ships need for fighting and keeping shields running.

Do what UGTO do. Well, what I and a few others did... Take the initiative, get outta ur dread and get in a ping scout. When the battle is going on, you can stay out of range and keep all eccm on, once its over you can ping to find the injured ones tryin to repair. shift-j when a kluth fires on you saves you 90% of the time(at least 2-3 mo ago), tho u probably have a lot of(easily repaired) hull damage.

The tools to fight kluth are there, the problem is nobody wants to leave their big ships for a ship you get no prestige to fly. Once again though, I am not defending the cloak entirely... It could use some general energy tweaking and planet-range energy draining as well...

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-27 05:30   
Quote:

On 2010-07-27 04:40, Julian Delphiki wrote:

Do what UGTO do. Well, what I and a few others did... Take the initiative, get outta ur dread and get in a ping scout. When the battle is going on, you can stay out of range and keep all eccm on, once its over you can ping to find the injured ones tryin to repair. shift-j when a kluth fires on you saves you 90% of the time(at least 2-3 mo ago), tho u probably have a lot of(easily repaired) hull damage.

The tools to fight kluth are there, the problem is nobody wants to leave their big ships for a ship you get no prestige to fly. Once again though, I am not defending the cloak entirely... It could use some general energy tweaking and planet-range energy draining as well...

I get into a dico/scout when the numbers allow us to. I love the recon scout and the dico is ok, lots of fun being prime target and jumping around to avoid dem sneaky luthies. Read what I said again and understand it. When NUMBERS allow us to, we can get recon/dico combos running. If we are outnumbered by Kluth, ya losing a few dreads to get that setup running isn't a good idea. Means more dead ICC dreads then Kluth ships since they would easily target the dreads more then the recon scout.

I have also said this before. Cloak is fine and balance if Kluth are outnumbered by a little bit. However if Kluth outnumber the humans then there is NOTHING that can stop them.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-27 06:50   
Dude. If a faction outnumbers the others, the result will also be the same.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029027 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR