No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Why dont we have black holes?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Why dont we have black holes?
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-29 16:45   
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 14:58, Sops wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 10:24, MrSparkle wrote:
Black holes I think are accepted as fact now. It's white holes that are theoretical now.

They are accepted because they make the math work, that doesn't make them fact.

Didn't they just witness the birth of a new black hole recently?

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-11-29 17:14   
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 16:45, MrSparkle wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 14:58, Sops wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 10:24, MrSparkle wrote:
Black holes I think are accepted as fact now. It's white holes that are theoretical now.

They are accepted because they make the math work, that doesn't make them fact.

Didn't they just witness the birth of a new black hole recently?

Yeah, they did.

Even still, we have no physical proof that there is black holes out there, and scientist love that physical proof.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-29 18:11   
Ummm. I hate to throw this out there, but it can't be given the weight of anything more than a POSTULATE if it can't be observed, experimented and VERIFIED. This is how a postulate gets to the stage of a theory. This has not happened. It cannot be given the weight of scientific fact. This has nothing to do with what scientists prefer. It is the simple basis of science itself.

The only thing a black hole in DS would add is a representation of where our packets are getting sucked to.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-29 18:49   
to "prove" a black hole, what are you going to do? shoot a laser at it? send someone there? cmon guys...

there is evidence, but not physical evidence of black holes, because our technology is too inferior to approach a black hole.

many discoveries thought to be absolutely stupid (people used to think earth was center of the universe) for "the lack of evidence" (Nicolaus Copernicus had no "physical evidence" because he didn't travel to orbit and give proof of his theory, right? He made assumptions based on his observations, but he still didn't have "physical proof"). Discoveries such as these now form the basis of modern science...

ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-11-29 19:04   
Black holes do not exist.

even the math that allows them to theoretically exist falls short and the laws of physics break down to uselessness and there is no way to prove anything real..

we cant see the so called target black hole with detail to know what they look like and we cant physically go look at the one that is said to reside in the center of our galaxy ....

But if we were to put something like a black hole in the game it could just randomly put you anywhere on the current server map
and spawn points could be random as well since its just a game who really cares about the details.

FTL drives like AME JD and such dont exist either but we have them
dictor fields dont exist either but here they are
so lets just use our imagination and make one per map
and like the other random objects that come in and out of game
this one can as well.

Just make it big and have dark area as big as a large planet with a lit glow arround it and if it touches a ship it weakens it and sends it accros the server like a one way trip.
IF your ship is too small or to weak and gets caught you die.

[
[ This Message was edited by: ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom) on 2010-11-29 19:11 ]

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Gin Ichimaru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-29 19:23   
Well, put it like this

* Replace the "Energy Entity" for a Black hole.
*We may not be able to destory it but with its random movements, we can avoid it.
*Yes, Black Holes does move, some very fast, others very slow..
*I dont expect a Black hole the size of the stars we have in game but rather at the same size the Energy Entity was.
*I could drain power of anything close to it, like the Energy Entity, with a bonus, it damages ships and other things, just very weak damage but damage nevertheless..

It Moves !!

Thats all I got so far,

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-29 19:44   
Quote:

It Moves !!

The 2. rule of thermodynamic claims that it moves. But there is no prove of why it moves.

Firewood
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-29 20:24   
You cant get phisical proof due to the fact that a black hole sucks up all of the evidence that could prove its own existence.......ironic isent it.

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-11-29 23:36   
Quote:

Holly said:

Well, the thing about a black hole - its main distinguishing feature - is it's black. And the thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is black. So how are you supposed to see them?

So we just would just have ships sucked off maps at random, disintergrated, transferred through time, reintergrated and deposited in earlier (or later) versions of the game?

Cool!

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-29 23:40   
Yeah, i want my claw from 1.480!

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-30 02:10   
actually guys if you have on demand from comcast find "The Universe" tv series and watch there episode about blackholes. if not find it at movie stores or go online and find it.

the reason i say this, is in fact the series prove there was a black hole in the middle of our gaxaly. and in 2008 the scients guys launched a new telescope into outer space. this new one is actually more powerful then hub scope but it can only see in like ultraviolent or somethimg like that, anyway they actuall took snaps shot of where the suppose center of our gaxaly is.

now what is a black whole? in science term for people who arent really smart (like me) it a huge big black ball of gravity. the gravity sucks in light, stars, asteriods, metors, "cosmic dust" and anything else that is unfortunate to get near it gravity pull.

now they say black whole are at the center of ever gaxaly. they can tell this with the new telescope. when it take pictures you can see stuff circle an object that is nothing but A BLACK WHOLE. you can not see past it but you can see stuff being sucked into this thing and stuff around it spun at huge scales. (the way they discribe it was the stuff was moving so fast around the black whole can be measured by how fast our plane moves around the sun) they said the rate this thing is making stuff orbit around the planet would be the same as earth circleing the sun in 1 day or less.

so that there physical evidence. physcial does not mean something you can hold or touch. physical is anything that can be SEEN or touch.

would be like if you had a film of like a ufo or the loch ness monster that would be physcial evidence.

sorry for the long post love stuff about the universe.
[ This Message was edited by: Nova Team on 2010-11-30 02:23 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-30 02:37   
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 19:23, The Harbinger wrote:
*I dont expect a Black hole the size of the stars we have in game but rather at the same size the Energy Entity was.

black holes sizes can be anything between <1mm and multiple AUs

Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-11-30 03:49   
didn't the scientists create a micro black hole in the Large hadron collider for a split micro second?

i know there was mega safety concerns about it, if the scientists screwed up the maths it would of been the end of the earth and the solar system.. >_>
however we are still all here.. or are we?

hence why the LHC was nicknamed the black hole factory shorty afterwards.
because black holes now keep popping up when they are using the LHC..

so Black holes do exist and have been proved since at least 2006..

Quote:

JBud:
Collision detection is funny huh? amazing how it can detect a tiny pcannon projectile hitting you, but a whole planet? nothing is there!

Email Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-30 13:03   
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 04:19, jamesbob wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 04:12, *Dark Flux* (Orange) wrote:
in space there seem to be alot of black holes why not DS?

well you see we found a way to stablise blackholes and devolped the wormhole drive.

sadly many mods died in stablising blackholes and making them dissapear.

well what did you expect we had to vent the mods and admins into the damn things .

but lets get back to serious when was the last game where you flew one ship that you played that actually had blackholes.

The starfleet command series (a game this one is partially inspired by) had functional black holes in at least 3 of it's games (I never played 3 very long, it was too simplified for my taste).

Basically you floated towards it, with it's pull increasing as you got closer to it. As the game was played on a similar 2d plane as DS, it was visible as a vortex, kind of like water going down a drain.

It was pretty fun to tractor your enemy into it, or disable thier engines so they couldn't escape . But really it was just a shortcut to make a long battle much easier, you just had to position yourself. You had to always be facing away so your engines could push you in the opposite direction.

Still, don't see much of a reason for them to put it in darkspace. There's no gravity now, coding it in would be difficult (though it would be funny to see newbs fall into planets all the time ) .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Gin Ichimaru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-30 14:56   
Quote:

On 2010-11-30 02:37, NoBoDx wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-29 19:23, The Harbinger wrote:

black holes sizes can be anything between <1mm and multiple AUs

I know but I mean if it was put into the game, so we dont have ppl complaining about a Black hole the size of a star.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027168 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR