Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Can I rewrite/revise some of the gadget descriptions?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Can I rewrite/revise some of the gadget descriptions?
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-01 03:00   
I have a lot of spare time on my hands, and I'm bugged by the spelling errors and lack of any useful information on many of the gadgets and weapons.

I could write new descriptions down in notepad or post them right here on the forum, and all you gotta do is copy-paste the text over if you think they're suitable.
Some of you could offer suggestions if you think a description could be worded better, or be better off leaving out certain details.

Gotta know if you're willing to let me, and if so, what the character limit is on these descriptions so they don't run off the screen.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-01 05:06   
alrdy people in wiki trying to find the best descriptions. if u get bored and wanna contribute, go there:)

at some point stuff from wiki may be moved to the game descriptions i donno

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-04-01 08:05   
Go for it.

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-04-01 13:53   
May I help?

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-01 14:01   
of course

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-04-07 09:36   
Been busy, sorry . Anyway:
Railgun: The Railgun is a no-falloff projectile weapon with 1200gu range, low energy cost, and low damage. Standard, it has a 90 round magazine, however larger ship classes have slightly less ammunition.
Gauss Gun: The Gauss Gun is a no-falloff projectile weapon with 1400gu range and medium energy cost. Its projectile speed is almost double that of the railgun. Standard, it has a 104 round magazine, however larger ship classes have slightly less ammunition.
Plasma Cannon: The Plasma Cannon is a no-falloff cannon with 640gu range. It has faster recharge and better energy efficiency than the Psi Cannon, however it is slower and has less damage up close.
Psi Cannon: The standard K'luth cannon, the Psi Cannon has falloff over distance and higher energy usage than the Plasma Cannon but is faster and more damaging up close.

Will do more later. I tried to keep them concise, but some ran a little long, sorry.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-04-07 10:02   
where did all the story go?
where goes the fiction which put life into the description?

why put every important information about weapons (like even ammo which varies) in description?

sup bro? descriptions are meant to be a 100 character set of oneliners which make peeps confident in their layouts...without getting into the serious details ever. if someone has that much time to read details then they might aswell keep the wiki minimized on taskbar

either bring back the short meaningless lores or make descriptions for the wiki..

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-04-07 10:30   
Quote:

On 2012-04-07 10:02, Toby D Syded wrote:

why put every important information about weapons (like even ammo which varies) in description?

sup bro? descriptions are meant to be a 100 character set of oneliners which make peeps confident in their layouts...without getting into the serious details ever. if someone has that much time to read details then they might aswell keep the wiki minimized on taskbar

either bring back the short meaningless lores or make descriptions for the wiki..

I have no idea what the length limit is, if it's longer I'll put some lore in.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-07 10:57   
Quote:

Because players only need important information.
Quote:
either bring back the short meaningless lores or make descriptions for the wiki.

if someone has that much time to read details then they might aswell keep the wiki minimized on taskbar

[/quote]
You say it yourself. For who has spare time to read meaningless lores a.k.a story, they should spend time enjoying wiki.
I recall it was totally inconvenient to alt+tab frequently during playing time when I needed a reference.
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 09:36, Persistance wrote:
Railgun: The Railgun is a no-falloff projectile weapon with 1200gu range, low energy cost, and low damage. Standard, it has a 90 round magazine, however larger ship classes have slightly less ammunition.

For someone who is not acquainted with English like me, I prefer essential information in short and simple English like below:
Railgun
  • Damage Type: Kinetic Projectile;
  • Maximum Range: 1225gu;
  • Speed: 125gu/s;
  • No falloff.

Chemical Beam Laser
  • Damage Type: Energy;
  • Maximum Range: 165gu;
  • Speed: Instant during 4 seconds;
  • Falloff.

The current description the gadget (ig: The Warhead inflicts massive damage over a large area by causing a Quantum Singularity to open and disrupting the space around it.) should be kept in the place for who loves fiction, where we call it wiki or forum.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-04-07 11:10 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-07 14:38   
One problem with showing range and speed is that it is different for each level of a gadget.

On large ships, the projectiles move slower, do more damage, and travel further.

Lore is fine, but what about having it in a way that anyone gives a flying feather about?
The description for the particle cannon is fine, because it mentions that it gets weaker with range.
But the description for the rail gun? Triple timed accelerators or some other nonsense? WHO CARES? It sucks your energy like nobodies business, it goes extremely fast, and it has a good range.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-04-07 14:41 ]

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-04-07 18:12   
Quote:

On 2012-04-07 10:57, chlorophyll wrote:
Quote:

Because players only need important information.
Quote:
either bring back the short meaningless lores or make descriptions for the wiki.

if someone has that much time to read details then they might aswell keep the wiki minimized on taskbar

You say it yourself. For who has spare time to read meaningless lores a.k.a story, they should spend time enjoying wiki.
I recall it was totally inconvenient to alt+tab frequently during playing time when I needed a reference.
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 09:36, Persistance wrote:

[/quote]
Exactly!

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-07 18:33   
The in game should have a quick blirb about the gaget, its pros and cons: doesnt mean it should get exact values. the wiki can have all the lore

Email *FTL*Soulless
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-07 20:23   
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 18:33, Soulless. wrote:
The in game should have a quick blirb about the gaget, its pros and cons: doesnt mean it should get exact values.

At first I would agree with you. In the beginning, I was indeed confusing when I need to choose an alternative.

On the second thought, I consider pros and cons are invidual's experience. One can say pulse beam on assault ship has pros - good at PD, and cons - suck at damaging. But when pulse beam is on missle ship, then damage is not a cons. Let's think the technical character of a weapon serves a purpose. It's good when it fits the job; it's bad when it fails. The only way to make the decision is to experience the weapon yourself. Since its invidual's experiences, then we'd better respect player's idea by not mentioning it in description.

Telling the user the exact value, soon they'll be able to choose wisely for specific situation. Telling pros and cons is like imposing their wisdom.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-07 21:04   
Quote:

On 2012-04-07 20:23, chlorophyll wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 18:33, Soulless. wrote:
The in game should have a quick blirb about the gaget, its pros and cons: doesnt mean it should get exact values.

At first I would agree with you. In the beginning, I was indeed confusing when I need to choose an alternative.

On the second thought, I consider pros and cons are invidual's experience. One can say pulse beam on assault ship has pros - good at PD, and cons - suck at damaging. But when pulse beam is on missle ship, then damage is not a cons. Let's think the technical character of a weapon serves a purpose. It's good when it fits the job; it's bad when it fails. The only way to make the decision is to experience the weapon yourself. Since its invidual's experiences, then we'd better respect player's idea by not mentioning it in description.

Telling the user the exact value, soon they'll be able to choose wisely for specific situation. Telling pros and cons is like imposing their wisdom.

I ment as in. Pulse: fast fire and recharge rate, very low damage.

Email *FTL*Soulless
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-07 21:26   
If people are interested, I can see about adding in weapon speed and distance for devices in the status display (the "description")

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020041 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR