No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » helper system in DS
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author helper system in DS
Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-08-20 15:06   
I'm posting this here because it's not really a game suggestion and more a community suggestion.

I feel that DS could benefit from a helper system like some other games I've played. I've seen many new players who don't have important information(they don't know how to transfer ships) or, more often, have information that is horribly wrong told them by some random person(infantry have to be on hold to capture ships). Helpers could help retain more players, and that's what DS really needs(more players).

Moderators/developers do a good job of answering question when they get online, but they don't have the time to spend guiding a new player through the process of spawning, combat, capturing ships, and all the other stuff you can do in DS. Also, helpers could probably help people through common technical problems(DS not starting, not connecting properly, etc.) when a dev/moderator is afk.

Helpers wouldn't have many(if at all) privileges over the normal player. At the most, maybe clan mode turned off to instruct people that want to play different factions. Helpers would have to be active and have been a member for at least a year(can be changed).

This could probably be done unofficially, but if it could be an official system that would be totally awesome.

Thanks for reading,

Mylith.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-08-20 23:03   
Very interesting idea. The main issue will be an issue that comes from any games involving factions. Bias. There will always be people that think X is much better than Y and vice versa. Would their names have a special colour like there is for admins?

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-20 23:37   
I like this idea, i can remember when i started playing, i have no idea what was going on.
This mightve gave me more patience.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-21 03:31   
Not sure if such a system is needed. I personally don't mind helping out newer folks and showing them the basics, and I know quite a few players that do it as well. I think that if there was a reward for it, people would take advantage of it. Just my ten cents.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-21 05:36   
yeah the ones that help people alrdy do that now. i donno about privileges cause you dont rlly need em to explain something. and a different colour suit, well....a new person wont know what that means.

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-08-21 08:29   
Quote:

On 2012-08-21 03:31, Fatal Brutality wrote:
Not sure if such a system is needed. I personally don't mind helping out newer folks and showing them the basics, and I know quite a few players that do it as well. I think that if there was a reward for it, people would take advantage of it. Just my ten cents.

Quote:

On 2012-08-20 15:06, Mylith *CO* wrote:

Helpers wouldn't have many(if at all) privileges over the normal player. At the most, maybe clan mode turned off to instruct people that want to play different factions.

@Brutality: A helper system would allow you to continue what you're doing now, while allowing new players to find you instead of having them wonder who knows something and go to a random server and /y "hey, how do I do this?" and possibly getting bad information from someone.

A tag at the end of helper's usernames would probably be in order, though(such as playerxyz(helper)), but that could be done with the name change option.
[ This Message was edited by: Mylith *CO* on 2012-08-21 08:29 ]

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2012-08-21 08:44   
maybe a certain icon at the beginning of the said helpers name and post helpers in the forums with a list of volunteer in it. like there name and faction. i.e Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC* Kluth. volunteer icon (of devs choosing ) at the beginning of there name.

[ This Message was edited by: Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC* on 2012-08-21 08:56 ]

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-21 11:15   
I remember some other MMO's had a system where you could flag yourself as a "new player helper" and new players could see a list of them and send any of them questions.

I think such a system might be a good idea here, but the issue is making new players aware of such a feature if we were to implement one. Maybe add a button next to the "staff" button in GCQL for it. I guess the MoTD works too

P2.
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2012-08-21 12:49   
Sorry, i write without malice.

I think one of the problems we have, the manual is obsolete.
Is too big.
Is too old.
There is not a simple instructions to play. The new player need some simple instructions.
I know, is difficult write a new manual or other.
With many players trying to help, i think a good idea, even more than helpers, is prepare a new manual more simple, direct with participation of all the volunteers.
Later devs can read and correct big problems.
In this way the new players had less problems.

We can't forget the players not like read the manuals. They need simple instructions for begin.

And do not forget that the manual should also be in other languages ​​if they are to play for all the world. Like German - French - Spanish etc.

Email P2.
Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-08-21 13:06   
Quote:

On 2012-08-21 12:49, P2. wrote:
Sorry, i write without malice.

I think one of the problems we have, the manual is obsolete.
Is too big.
Is too old.
There is not a simple instructions to play. The new player need some simple instructions.
I know, is difficult write a new manual or other.
With many players trying to help, i think a good idea, even more than helpers, is prepare a new manual more simple, direct with participation of all the volunteers.
Later devs can read and correct big problems.
In this way the new players had less problems.

We can't forget the players not like read the manuals. They need simple instructions for begin.

And do not forget that the manual should also be in other languages ​​if they are to play for all the world. Like German - French - Spanish etc.

http://www.darkspace.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

P2.
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2012-08-21 13:29   
[/quote]
http://www.darkspace.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

[/quote]

Sorry, is the same in other location.

Email P2.
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-21 16:06   
Quote:

On 2012-08-21 11:15, Fattierob wrote:
I remember some other MMO's had a system where you could flag yourself as a "new player helper" and new players could see a list of them and send any of them questions.

I think such a system might be a good idea here, but the issue is making new players aware of such a feature if we were to implement one. Maybe add a button next to the "staff" button in GCQL for it. I guess the MoTD works too

could also add somthing a little something maybe to the new to darkspace stuff that pops up when you first start up GCQL. Just a thought.

Edit: p2. is right in a way. We need to make the wiki(more informative than the manual) more visible to new people so they have a place to go if there isn't a person availble to answer questions.
[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Brutality on 2012-08-21 16:08 ]

PokeYourWaffle
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-04 11:04   
Reviving the topic!

+1 to the helper idea. Usually new players are a bit intimidated by the game and just people in general. Having a dedicated helper system to get these players started will certainly help get more players into the game. If this does go through and you need helpers I would be happy to volunteer, I usually get on every day after school for 4-5 hours. I don't think that people need to be rewarded for this, or it might turn into something to exploit.
[ This Message was edited by: PokeYourWaffle on 2012-10-04 11:08 ]

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-04 11:41   
I feel like every time one of these pops up I volunteer to take part but it never goes anywhere, but here are my thoughts on the matter at the current time.

The manual is entirely outdated and bloated as of whenever the last time I looked at it was. On the other hand I feel that there is something about learning everything through trial, error and questions that 'earns you a seat at the table' here. This has been a problem at least as long as I have been playing the game but the people who are going to stay long term tend to stick it out and those who are lacking in the indomitable will department fall by the wayside usually after the first hour or 2 of playing.

The reason I say this is because I used to head over to the newbie server whenever I was all alone in the MV and see it there were any newbies who were willing to learn the ropes from me. 9 out of 10 of the people I taught, and 10 out of 10 of those that I remember, didn't seem particularly interested in any information that did not answer their question in the most curt manner imaginable. As I would start to explain why we do things a certain way or how that fits into the big picture they tend to go off and get blown up.As a result, I tend to focus on answering questions, when i see them, before anyone else can as a matter of personal pride, and am overjoyed when people as "why?".

My suggestion is to make a group that you can send /send messages to with very clear instructions on how to send such a message splashed all over the the lobby and game when you log in so that when people want to ask questions they can ask them privately directly to someone who will give them the best information at their disposal as quickly as possible. So much the same way you can /send c to talk to your clan mates you can /send H or /send Helpers to send questions directly to any helper who is logged into GCQL.

[ This Message was edited by: Scorched Soul[+R] on 2012-10-04 11:53 ]

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness)
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2012-10-04 12:36   
To be fair what DS needs is a comprehensive tutorial that tells them all the details from the basic's of piloting your ship, fighting, the unique abillities of each faction, jumping (includes select a point for jumping) bombing, building supplying, and what the buttons do, also they would be taught the ways of maual targetting and weapon detonation etc have all the newbies on one server (i know kinda going back to the type of newbie server we had in the old day) where they would listen to a voice and read the text of the training they would get (in some games tutorial you also got some voice talking to ya while you run through the tutorial) and also have some sort of level cap in the server (again like the newbie server we used to have) maybe like to cap them to only getting most of all the bronze badges or something like that.

thats my 2 Pounds worth

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024113 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR