No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » * Development Blog * » » Ship Tiers and You
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
 Author Ship Tiers and You
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-09 10:33   
Is it a must that ICC and UGTO share the same missle system?
You can just leave the current missle to UGTO and assign new ones (strike & skirmish) to ICC. There have been many missle regenations, give UGTO something inferior to ICC. That will maintain the reason why UGTO prefer fighter and ICC prefer missle.

UGTO seems to lack idea. I have a crazy one: tier II UGTO cruiser with carrier & missle role. As you say there is no prohibit against carrier & missle, I really think we should make something quite creative.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-09 15:52   
Since we are expanding to CM for ship requirements, will we also be expanding to platinum badges as prerequisites for ships?

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-09 19:51   
rear facing core weapons should be an ICC thing, jim. It fits the engagement style of ICC more closely.

I also really like chlorophyl's idea with missiles. ICC and UGTO really have no reason to share missile systems, especially since ICC uses them a lot more and thus would put more R&D into them etc.
[ This Message was edited by: iwancoppa on 2013-01-09 19:52 ]

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-01-10 07:52   
How are the kluth layouts coming along? Last a checked you didn't have many yet designed.

This is definitely making progress and will add a huge variety to the game.
Keep up the good work!

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-10 23:39   
Quote:

On 2013-01-09 19:51, iwancoppa wrote:
rear facing core weapons should be an ICC thing, jim. It fits the engagement style of ICC more closely.

But it benefits the UGTO more.

ICC ships use shields, which can be redirected to any arc. Thus they are more free to rotate to bring weapons to bear, which is why most ICC gunships tend to have stronger broadsides than they do fore/aft armament.

UGTO ships rely more on armor, however, and once the armor on a given arc is damaged you have to turn the entire ship to move a fresh armor plate into line, or else you start taking hull damage. Turning like this to present undamaged armor also changes which weapons are pointing at the enemy, so a UGTO ship benefits greatly from having more even weapon coverage across all arcs. If you can bring the same number of guns to bear forward, broadside and aft, that frees you up to turn and present undamaged armor without having to worry about shifting your firepower around.

Quote:
I also really like chlorophyl's idea with missiles. ICC and UGTO really have no reason to share missile systems, especially since ICC uses them a lot more and thus would put more R&D into them etc.

I hadn't initially planned for this, but the more I think about it, it may very well be something I can pull off. I'll have to do some calculations on the damage of various missile types to make sure it'll work, though.

Email Jim Starluck
Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-11 14:54   
In which case - good luck to any poor K'luth sods!

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-11 15:15   
Quote:

On 2013-01-10 23:39, Jim Starluck wrote:
If you can bring the same number of guns to bear forward, broadside and aft, that frees you up to turn and present undamaged armor without having to worry about shifting your firepower around.

It also diminishes the amount of firepower you can focus on any one target. Sure, put regular cannons covering the rear arc, but cores are best utilized when facing forward.

That and most UGTO players are used to their heavy weaponry facing forward, doing this will confuse the hell out of them.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-01-12 00:32   
ICC have nice defenses, its them who should be given multiple-arc weapons, so they have less total no. of weps and it becomes meaningless for them to even rotate their ship (not to mention, they have nice or atleast better turning rates than other ships)

anyways, the artillery dread seemed like a dread version of the ICC strike cruiser, which was why i wondered whether it would be nice to k'luth players to fight a ship which can aim at them no matter how they position themselves around the ship.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-12 18:32   
What you need to realize is that Dreads are going to be slower and less manueverable than ever, so I think they'll appreciate having weapons more spread out on the arcs, as it'll be a whole lot harder to get an enemy into one particular arc.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-12 18:36   
Quote:

On 2013-01-12 18:32, Walrus of Apathy wrote:
What you need to realize is that Dreads are going to be slower and less manueverable than ever, so I think they'll appreciate having weapons more spread out on the arcs, as it'll be a whole lot harder to get an enemy into one particular arc.

I thought the whole point of Dreadnoughts was to be battering rams that maul anything that gets caught in their primary firing arcs, but slow enough that they can be outflanked by more maneuverable ships. If they're going to have similar firepower in every direction then what is the point? They won't have a weak spot to exploit and we'll be back to square 1.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-12 19:14   
Quote:

On 2013-01-12 18:36, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-12 18:32, Walrus of Apathy wrote:

I thought the whole point of Dreadnoughts was to be battering rams that maul anything that gets caught in their primary firing arcs, but slow enough that they can be outflanked by more maneuverable ships. If they're going to have similar firepower in every direction then what is the point? They won't have a weak spot to exploit and we'll be back to square 1.

They still are the mauling battering rams, these ships are still designed with 80%+ of their weapons focused on the forward arcs. Their ability to fight all around is not nearly as pronounced as you think it is. Having one or two heavy weapons that can fire aft doesn't compare to the 5-6 that will fire forward.

Look at the Artillery Dreadnought layout Jim posted, yes it can fire two HMDs aft, but it's fore arc fires 3 HMD's and 3 QSTs, these ships are still based on having the enemy infront of you.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-12 21:29   
The way you put it made it sound like things were leaning more toward mostly even coverage across all arcs, as long as we're not going to see ships like that it's a relief.

Though I still have to say rear facing cores seem wasteful even if it's just 2. Look at the current Assault Cruiser, it has a pair of rear facing torps that rarely get used and a lot of the time you end up with 30+ ammo while the forward facing ones are empty or nearly empty.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-17 00:36   
Generally, the placement of weapons depends on what kind of ships you're intended to fight against.

When you're an Assault Dreadnought designed to hammer other Dreads into scrap with heavy beam arrays and torpedo salvos, you generally don't have to worry as much about your target dodging. You can easily afford to have more of your weapons focused forward. Having weapons with smaller arcs also means you can cram in more of them for your point-value.

On the other hand, if you're a Battle Dreadnought expected to engage a wide variety of targets, including ships that are smaller and faster than you, you tend to want better coverage so it's not as easy for your enemies to flank you and escape your firepower. You'd especially want good coverage if you're UGTO, for reasons discussed earlier.

The Artillery Dreadnought is a sort of hybrid of these roles, intended to operate with either close-range Assault ships or mid-range gunships. So it sort of has a blend of the two armament styles.

Email Jim Starluck
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-19 19:28   
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 03:51, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 03:05, Jim Starluck wrote:
ST-115 Artillery Dreadnought

- 3x Tri-arc Heavy Mass Driver (1x FPS, 1x FPA, 1x FSA)
- 2x Dual-arc Quantum Singularity Torpedo (1x FP, 1x FS)
- 1x Fore-arc Quantum Singularity Torpedo

6 Core weaps. My god, this Arty Dread is almost like the old Krill.

Old krill doesn't have torpedo. And UGTO cannon range is farther than K'Luth's one. Nevertheless, standard & albative combo for this beast...
You're gonna killed by this one, a lot. Hand it a battle-excessive look, Kenny. Paint it with a big, orange "Hated" on the body.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2013-01-19 19:29 ]

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-20 22:17   
And that's another good reason to spread some weapons out over wider arcs. Too much firepower focused forward can get terribly OP.

Email Jim Starluck
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021359 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR