No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Forcing players into smaller ships
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
 Author Forcing players into smaller ships
Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-25 14:47   
I don't think the answer is in the prejump charge up, i think it would be much less broken if you had a cooldown after you jumped. say a simple 3 seconds, or space out 5 seconds between charge up and cool down, meaning 2.5 seconds charge up and 2.5 seconds cool down before you gain control of your ship again. But all of this is irrelevant really, its just more qq with a facade of logic. The game works fine the way it is and a competant dessie pilot can take a single dread without to much trouble. Cruisers are even easier because although they are a little slower than dessie's they are still faster than dreads, I have beaten dreads before without ever once being hit my self. Dont take away from the tactics and planning of combat by destroying the ability to close distance, in some cases this would make certain ships extroardinarily op'ed such as missile cruisers. By the time they got the alignment right and charged up a missile cruiser could be outside of beam range and still be blasting away with missiles and a dread is going to be at full speed most of the time attempting to avoid the missiles already which means they would be even FARTHER away from the missile cruiser and dreads would drop like flies. All this would do is make point jumping an enemy a death trap. It is already a death trap to an extent anyway because they can simply jump a bit and still out range you.... and besides, every time people make dreads harder to pilot everyone cries until it is changed. God forbid missiles be even mildly effective in this game, every time they are everyone qq's until they are nurfed into the ground. Point defenses exist for a reason as does the ability to avoid missiles, Maybe if we had more competent dread pilots then missiles wouldnt be qq'ed about so much...but i digress. I think the game works good the way it is now and with the new dessie builds i have seen alot more dessies and cruisers on the battlefield than before anyway.
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

Max Kepler
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-25 14:50   
Now that Destroyers have been rebalanced, I don't think this is really an issue. Smaller ships are now incredibly useful, especially in packs, and powerful enough to track a fleeing Dreadnought and destroy it solo. Dreads are still the most powerful single combat ship, but become a death trap when faced by multiple smaller opponents.

Changing the jump drive from the current system is a bad idea. It gives an advantage to the bigger ships, who can sustain damage better when fleeing and deal more damage to the fleeing ship, which would have to slow down. If you wanted to implement a sort of 'calculation penalty' for bigger ships, this might be doable -- e.g. a Destroyer takes a minimum of 3 seconds to calculate a jump whereas a Dread takes 5 or 10. E-jumps could damage the drive; this is no problem. As people have pointed out this would favor the K'luth a bit, but not enough to change the game balance significantly.

Email Max Kepler   Goto the website of Max Kepler
mandalore river
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-25 16:55   
putting around in my figate then ten icc dreds jump me . not fair

Email mandalore river
Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-25 17:00   
not fair? so you want 1 frigate to be able to take on 10 of anything?...no that would be retarded. if your in a frigate and you get jumped by 10 scouts your going to die... and thats the way it should be.
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

mandalore river
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-25 17:23   
Quote:

On 2010-07-25 17:00, Cory_O wrote:
not fair? so you want 1 frigate to be able to take on 10 of anything?...no that would be retarded. if your in a frigate and you get jumped by 10 scouts your going to die... and thats the way it should be.

no i was just putting that out there to be funny

Email mandalore river
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-25 20:27   
Rank is ridiculously easy to get now days. I started playing in 2004 and didn't get GA until 2006. Granted, we didn't have ai to leech combat pres off of back then and prstige gain was slow. And, the prestige loss for losing a ship was alot more than what it is now. I honestly wouldn't mind if they brought back the severe pres loss for losing a dread or station. As far as being "forced" into smaller ships, anyone that played back in 2004 or earlier knows how great cruisers/destroyers were. IMHO, it's about time we get back to seeing more cruisers/dessies running around in the MV.

I'd bet that a mixed fleet of heavy combat (dreads) and light combat (cruisers and below) can support a bombardment fleet while also detroying any defenders. Wait, a bunch of us ICC proved this last night in Sag. Don't believe me? Ask the UGTO that were defending the Luyten system last night or ask members of Raven, TK, and S.W. My point is, that it's time for people to change their tactics and no longer roll with fleets that consist of purely dreads and stations. Just like it was back when I started playing DS all those years ago.

Email Supertrooper
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-25 23:06   
Quote:

On 2010-07-25 14:50, Max Kepler wrote:
Dreads are still the most powerful single combat ship, but become a death trap when faced by multiple smaller opponents.

This I agree completely.

A well piloted smaller ship like a Ass Dess or Ass Crus can very well destroy a less than healthy dread. I've had good pilots put their assault cruiser on my six o'clock and then stay there with all beams on. And if I'm low on energy I have no choice but to jump out or risk destruction if a few more small ships jump into the fray.

And if 3 of them jump in suddenly, it won't matter if I have full energy or hull. I'm gonna take a pounding. It's panning out nicely now. I like it that 2 or 3 small ships can make a dread's life hell.

ThePile
Vice Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2010-07-27 01:09   
Quote:

I'd bet that a mixed fleet of heavy combat (dreads) and light combat (cruisers and below) can support a bombardment fleet while also detroying any defenders. Wait, a bunch of us ICC proved this last night in Sag. Don't believe me? Ask the UGTO that were defending the Luyten system last night or ask members of Raven, TK, and S.W.

My point is, that it's time for people to change their tactics and no longer roll with fleets that consist of purely dreads and stations. Just like it was back when I started playing DS all those years ago.

I agree. This is what darkspace should always have been.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Page created in 0.025021 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR