No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Forcing players into smaller ships
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author Forcing players into smaller ships
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-10 22:16   
Works great till you get above GA. A little buffer pres and its not really an issue. Personally I have never been one to care about pres. I throw ships away quite often covering a wingmate who is about to die. I dont think unless it was an osurdly obscene amout that it would ever make me hessitate pulling the ship, fighting and dying in it.

What am I gonna lose? Marshal rank? I dont think so....

The thing I would like to ask, is will that also scale to the amount of pres I get when I kill one?

For some reason, that has never been equivalent from what I have seen. You lose XXX for dying in a ship. Kill the equivalent and you get XX pres. Seems kinda....cheater-like.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-10 22:23   
You have to sub to buy credits .Therefore You can buy enhancements for your station.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-11 02:21   
Quote:

On 2010-07-10 22:07, Light-of-Aurora wrote:
I like this solution much better than increasing/decreasing the actual combat effectiveness of ships from what it already is. If losing a large ship resulted in a more prohibitive prestige loss, I think it would help address the issue better than if Dreads and stations were hit with a nerf; people wouldn't feel underwhelmed when earning a rank to fly a bigger ship, but would be more cautious when deciding to pull one out.

Apparently it used to be that way, I wasn't around back then so I can't say for sure why it was lowered, but I'd imagine a river of tears had something to do with it.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-11 02:40   
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 02:21, Talien {SOE} wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-10 22:07, Light-of-Aurora wrote:
I like this solution much better than increasing/decreasing the actual combat effectiveness of ships from what it already is. If losing a large ship resulted in a more prohibitive prestige loss, I think it would help address the issue better than if Dreads and stations were hit with a nerf; people wouldn't feel underwhelmed when earning a rank to fly a bigger ship, but would be more cautious when deciding to pull one out.

Apparently it used to be that way, I wasn't around back then so I can't say for sure why it was lowered, but I'd imagine a river of tears had something to do with it.

Tractor scouts, thats what got it lowered. You would lose tons of pres for being pushed into a planet, thus QQ was involved.

Massive pres loss will not phase some people, and it will phase others. Still if you lost 2k pres for a dread and 3-4k for a station, you would think twice about pulling one out. You would pull one out when you absolutely were sure it was going to be protected, and would hardly take it into combat for fear of losing it. Since you would lose 2x or more what you could make in one, that massive ship suddenly becomes much less appealing. You would then start looking for the smaller ships, that trade off of pres loss vs pres gain. Thats where dessys and cruisers start becoming more appealing, a good trade off of damage(pres gain) vs pres risked.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-11 03:49   
Quote:

On 2010-07-10 22:16, Azreal wrote:
Works great till you get above GA. A little buffer pres and its not really an issue. Personally I have never been one to care about pres. I throw ships away quite often covering a wingmate who is about to die. I dont think unless it was an osurdly obscene amout that it would ever make me hessitate pulling the ship, fighting and dying in it.

What am I gonna lose? Marshal rank? I dont think so....

The thing I would like to ask, is will that also scale to the amount of pres I get when I kill one?

For some reason, that has never been equivalent from what I have seen. You lose XXX for dying in a ship. Kill the equivalent and you get XX pres. Seems kinda....cheater-like.

Exactly. Pres loss won't bother GAs n above much. What we need is to increase small ship combat effectiveness in terms of damage output.

Less beams, more med range projectile weaps like PCs, rails, n PSIs, and .... Dare I suggest... reducing or removing weap levelling.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-11 06:49   
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 02:40, Starcommand of ICC *XO* wrote:

Massive pres loss will not phase some people, and it will phase others. Still if you lost 2k pres for a dread and 3-4k for a station, you would think twice about pulling one out. You would pull one out when you absolutely were sure it was going to be protected, and would hardly take it into combat for fear of losing it. Since you would lose 2x or more what you could make in one, that massive ship suddenly becomes much less appealing. You would then start looking for the smaller ships, that trade off of pres loss vs pres gain. Thats where dessys and cruisers start becoming more appealing, a good trade off of damage(pres gain) vs pres risked.

No, that crosses the threshold of obscenely obsurd pres loss. That tripples if the returns on KILLING the same class ship does not GAIN an equivalent amount of pres.

If it were this obscene, frankly, I'd just not bother playing at all.

No. If they dont want us in dreads and stations than remove the damn things already, and enough of this stupidity.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-11 10:53   
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 03:49, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Exactly. Pres loss won't bother GAs n above much. What we need is to increase small ship combat effectiveness in terms of damage output.

Less beams, more med range projectile weaps like PCs, rails, n PSIs, and .... Dare I suggest... reducing or removing weap levelling.

I've been thinking along the same lines, but I've been thinking even more lately that smaller ships should have more torpedoes and fewer cannons. Torpedoes are a lot more accurate vs dreads than they are smaller ships, but the drawback is range and energy usage.

I'm thinking of ways to make ships counter other ships without making one ship or one ship type the best vs every hull size. Say for instance destroyers were heavy on the torpedoes, light on the cannons and beams. They'd be dread hunters and to a lesser extent cruisers, but you wouldn't want to use one vs another destroyer because you'd be lucky to hit a competent destroyer pilot. Since destroyers are short-medium range at best, you're putting yourself in danger when getting into firing range on a dread.

Dreads would be like they are now, a multi-weapon death machine that comes specialized as either long-range missile, medium-range cannon, or short-range beam and torpedo.

Cruisers could have the same variety of weapon layouts as dreads, and could also be the "special purpose ships" like minelayers, PD (no more picket destroyer, but picket cruiser - it can carry more PD beams) or special missile types. I'd rather most small missile ships be cruisers than destroyers.

Frigates have no use except in early scenario maps, so they could be electronic countermeasures ships. They're the ones that carry a lot of ECM or ECCM.

Scouts are what they are.

That kind of setup would make cruisers the most popular ship due to what they can do, but for certain actions like dread hunting you might prefer a destroyer, or if there's enemy stations or an entire fleet of dreads you might want the awesome firepower of your own dread instead of a destroyer you know is gonna get destroyed trying to use it's torpedoes.

I don't know. It's really hard to make smaller ships appealing and yet not make them the one ship everyone wants to use, like we had in older versions and like we currently have with dreads. I don't like the idea of ship hull variants having good all-around combat abilities. Destroyers are merely small versions of a dread. In small skirmishes the maneuverability of a destroyer is valuable and the lack of firepower is offset by it, in large fleet vs fleet battles which included protected supply ships you have to bring lots of firepower.

I like the idea of ship hulls being specialized. I like thinking about why the factions designed all these different ship hulls; if a frigate is no good at combat then what purpose do they have? I also like thinking about what ships counter what, like in many other games.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-11 10:53   
u can try option to reset prestige...give people 25% credits (25% of prestige) for resetting and people will...

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-11 11:27   
Resetting prestige would certainly force someone into smaller ships that's for sure!

I don't know about other people, but I look at how other games design their ships/classes/whatever and how certain classes seemed designed to counter others. That's the kind of thing DS needs, but spread among the 3 main hull types of dreadnaughts, cruisers and destroyers, so that no one ship or hull type is the dominant one.

It's harder than it looks without copying another game.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-11 12:03   
a torpedo dessie sounds good
torp scout/frigs dont do enough damage
torp cruiser (not the ugto torp cruiser, but a cruiser with torps as main weapon, ugto torp cruiser still uses alot of beams/cannons) could provide more firepower, but alot easier to hit in a dread
so a torp dessie will be the middle ground
You could put a torp dread but that would be pointless, unless you want a station killer

we could add 1 hull level to these torp ships
torps are close/medium range so you can and will be continuously shot

ThePile
Vice Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2010-07-11 12:44   
Quote:

Tractor scouts, thats what got it lowered. You would lose tons of pres for being pushed into a planet, thus QQ was involved.

What I understand you can't use tractor beams and push dreads into planets anymore. If it's true they removed this abillity, then why don't they take back this massive prestiege loss? I personally thinks it's perfectly reasonable. If you keep suicidejumping with dreads into impossible odds - then you should not have a dread.

But I guess, this will only as someone put it earlier, delay the problem.
Once majority are GA or more we will be here again with players making truces, complaining on everyone who attacks the engineers because that will slow down the other team from getting dreads. And we'll be back with players mining 40min for being able to fly their precious dreads.

I must say however that I like you guys have very good suggestions and ideas and are really getting into this.

Hopefully something good will spawn from this for the devs to use.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-11 13:18   
Yeah, ds is unique among games for this aspect, I think.

We love useless debates, semi-formulated ideas to haggle over, and friendly flame wars.

Still, we have, as players, influenced the game alot over the years.

Ummm. btw. That's both a good & bad thing.......

/me points to "True Cloak" and runs away.........

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-11 13:51   
For people who are saying increase the prestige loss for big ships, this was already done once before.

In 1.483 (which lasted around a couple years), prestige loss for a station was around 1k, and a Dread would take around 500 prestige. You want to know what happened?

People still pulled out dreadnaughts. The only difference was, they ran the second their armor/shields were gone. The only way you killed a dreadnaught or a station is if you kept a dictor around. And if you kept a dictor around they just wouldn't play.

I by no means would complain if prestige loss for just dreadnaughts and stations was increased, but I'm just going to tell you it probably won't do any good.

-Ent

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2010-07-11 15:06   
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 13:51, Enterprise wrote:
For people who are saying increase the prestige loss for big ships, this was already done once before.

In 1.483 (which lasted around a couple years), prestige loss for a station was around 1k, and a Dread would take around 500 prestige. You want to know what happened?

People still pulled out dreadnaughts. The only difference was, they ran the second their armor/shields were gone. The only way you killed a dreadnaught or a station is if you kept a dictor around. And if you kept a dictor around they just wouldn't play.

I by no means would complain if prestige loss for just dreadnaughts and stations was increased, but I'm just going to tell you it probably won't do any good.

-Ent

thats the truth..but at that time...and before..pointblank range..stations made you crap yourself no matter what you were in...now its just a huge target up close.ALL hvy beams on a station and torps that actually HURT made you run in a dread and scream for mommy.but at range....cruisers could eat em up with torps.And I NEVER wanna see an ICC torp dread again ( MD was fitted out with all torps instead of ITs)..OMG that was SO OP.And Im ICC.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-12 01:29   
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 10:53, MrSparkle wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 03:49, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

I've been thinking along the same lines, but I've been thinking even more lately that smaller ships should have more torpedoes and fewer cannons. Torpedoes are a lot more accurate vs dreads than they are smaller ships, but the drawback is range and energy usage.

I'm thinking of ways to make ships counter other ships without making one ship or one ship type the best vs every hull size. Say for instance destroyers were heavy on the torpedoes, light on the cannons and beams. They'd be dread hunters and to a lesser extent cruisers, but you wouldn't want to use one vs another destroyer because you'd be lucky to hit a competent destroyer pilot. Since destroyers are short-medium range at best, you're putting yourself in danger when getting into firing range on a dread.

Dreads would be like they are now, a multi-weapon death machine that comes specialized as either long-range missile, medium-range cannon, or short-range beam and torpedo.

Cruisers could have the same variety of weapon layouts as dreads, and could also be the "special purpose ships" like minelayers, PD (no more picket destroyer, but picket cruiser - it can carry more PD beams) or special missile types. I'd rather most small missile ships be cruisers than destroyers.

Frigates have no use except in early scenario maps, so they could be electronic countermeasures ships. They're the ones that carry a lot of ECM or ECCM.

Scouts are what they are.

That kind of setup would make cruisers the most popular ship due to what they can do, but for certain actions like dread hunting you might prefer a destroyer, or if there's enemy stations or an entire fleet of dreads you might want the awesome firepower of your own dread instead of a destroyer you know is gonna get destroyed trying to use it's torpedoes.

I don't know. It's really hard to make smaller ships appealing and yet not make them the one ship everyone wants to use, like we had in older versions and like we currently have with dreads. I don't like the idea of ship hull variants having good all-around combat abilities. Destroyers are merely small versions of a dread. In small skirmishes the maneuverability of a destroyer is valuable and the lack of firepower is offset by it, in large fleet vs fleet battles which included protected supply ships you have to bring lots of firepower.

I like the idea of ship hulls being specialized. I like thinking about why the factions designed all these different ship hulls; if a frigate is no good at combat then what purpose do they have? I also like thinking about what ships counter what, like in many other games.

yeah.

I think rearranging the weapons on the current dessies and frigs to reduce their flashlight counts, and increasing their cannon counts should do the trick.

Also we need one new frig and Dessie per side to be specialized station n capship killers. The weap loadout should be hard hitting torps n cannons. That way, 2 or 3 of them working together should seriously hurt a heavy ship. But cos of their loadouts, they can't effectively combat other small ships sent out against them and will need to run or call for help. They can easily outmanuever a dread though.

This gives players an alternative to dread vs dread battles. You can now pull out fast, hard hitting, and cheap to lose ships to wreak havoc on the enemy's capships.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023492 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR