No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Stations, what are they good for?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
 Author Stations, what are they good for?
Phoebuzz
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-09 11:26   
Quote:

On 2010-05-09 08:01, Starcommand of ICC wrote:

If we look at the firepower:

Kluth at max for firepower.
UGTO med firepower.
ICC Poor firepower.

How many times will I have to tell you that K'luth have not had the highest damage for a very long time?

Chemical Laser do MUCH more damage than disruptors (disruptors have better range) and humans have the best core weapons.

Also, weapons types aren't balanced right now, and cannons (and their big brothers the core weapons) are by far the best weapons in the game. Cannons just happen to be the speciality of UGTO.

For firepower:
UGTO #1
K'luth #2
ICC #3

For defense:
UGTO #1
ICC #2
K'luth #3

I'm not saying that K'luth weapons should be made more powerful, just stop with the 5 years old propaganda.

DarkCloudd
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-09 11:43   
Not that a dev will comment on this thread but why not buff shield recharge rates? If they made it so we could shut shields off to recharge at and increased rate say even 25% would be nice so instead of 4 minutes for something to recharge its only 3 minutes, then that would help alot. And before they say that would make ICC OP cause our shields recharge faster than UTGO armor does when they arent getting repaired, please count the number of times you have seen a UTGO ship sitting next to a planet letting his armor repair at an unbuffed rate. Go ahead I'll wait...... tell me if I'm wrong but that really doesnt happen in game, thats like unicorns, its something you read about but have never seen.

If we did get that then yes it would make ICC more powerful but not in an OP ZOMG ICC ARE GOING TO RULE THE MV FOREVER, or make us too hard to kill, it just means we are going to have to adjust our playing a little bit to take out that weakness. Yes its a weakness if we have our shields offline. If a dread or station happens to sneak up or point jump us then they could easily hull us before we could bring them back up to make an escape.

After thinking about how to make stations less potent, why not remove the Core Weapons from the Support and Command class stations? Let the battle class keep them cause they should be like a souped up dread, but not in an overboard way. Granted this is just the way I see the stations but this is what I think of when I see a Station. A Support station should be a great fall back posistion, repair drones to fix busted ships but little long range weapons, they would be best suited for rear formation flying to repair combat ships but not engage in combat much if at all. The Command ship should be the jack of all trades and master of none. Its build drones make it and excellent choice to build on planets in highly contested areas as it is capable of build under fire with its superior defenses to a regular old engineer and capable of holding off a small number of ships with its better armament. The Battle station should be where the real fire power of the stations resides superior to Dreads in almost every aspect but not in an outstanding way, superior weapons and armor/shields. but not too much. They should be the tip of the spear in all fleet actions whereas the support/command stations should be the tail end of the fleet, which is not the way it is now.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-09 12:26   
If there is to be a hard cap on stations, why not make it a hard cap based upon economy? I dont know if this would be easy to do or not, but why not have the total population of the planets the faction owns influence the types of ships they can bring out? A station could cost say, 30 pop per, dreads something low like 10, cruisers 3-5, etc, etc..

Would give controlling planets more meaning rather then just being there so u can slap a few depots and sy down

[ This Message was edited by: Veronw on 2010-05-09 12:27 ]

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-09 17:43   
Quote:

On 2010-05-09 11:26, Phoebuzz wrote:
Quote:

UGTO med firepower.
ICC Poor firepower.

How many times will I have to tell you that K'luth have not had the highest damage for a very long time?

Chemical Laser do MUCH more damage than disruptors (disruptors have better range) and humans have the best core weapons.

Also, weapons types aren't balanced right now, and cannons (and their big brothers the core weapons) are by far the best weapons in the game. Cannons just happen to be the speciality of UGTO.

For firepower:
UGTO #1
K'luth #2
ICC #3

For defense:
UGTO #1
ICC #2
K'luth #3

I'm not saying that K'luth weapons should be made more powerful, just stop with the 5 years old propaganda.

Kluth ships have more beams then ANY human ship. Your combat dread counterpart the Mandible has more beams then an AD or EAD ever DREAMED of. The siphon which is the AD/EAD counterpart has a lot of AM torps and 4, yes 4 core weps vs the 3 that the other two have. CL and HCL have a damage fall off, disruptor's DON'T. On paper the SI are the lowest damaging core wep, but that's just on paper. SI have a PSI and Impact damage bonus vs everything since nothing stops PSI. Also SI have the smallest min/max damage gap, like on paper the IC are the hardest hitting things but they have a big min/max gap.

I do my research and Kluth are still on top with damage, just doesn't seem like it when UGTO and ICC have armor or shields that reduce damage.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Gee191
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-09 17:44   
Quote:

On 2010-05-09 12:26, Veronw wrote:
If there is to be a hard cap on stations, why not make it a hard cap based upon economy? I dont know if this would be easy to do or not, but why not have the total population of the planets the faction owns influence the types of ships they can bring out? A station could cost say, 30 pop per, dreads something low like 10, cruisers 3-5, etc, etc..

Would give controlling planets more meaning rather then just being there so u can slap a few depots and sy down

[ This Message was edited by: Veronw on 2010-05-09 12:27 ]

\

way back when before sys that is similar to how ship caps worked
the value of all the planets in a system a faction controlled added together controlled what classes of ships players could pull outa the gate

so if a station cap where to be added(a bad idea) the code might be reused to do that

Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-09 19:01   
The simpler solution really is to just replace the core weapons with torps or missiles, and the heavy beams with lights.

Everything else just dances around the issue rather than fixing it.

Phoebuzz
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-09 20:31   
Quote:

On 2010-05-09 17:43, Starcommand of ICC wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

UGTO med firepower.
ICC Poor firepower.

For firepower:
UGTO #1
K'luth #2
ICC #3

For defense:
UGTO #1
ICC #2
K'luth #3

Kluth ships have more beams then ANY human ship. Your combat dread counterpart the Mandible has more beams then an AD or EAD ever DREAMED of. The siphon which is the AD/EAD counterpart has a lot of AM torps and 4, yes 4 core weps vs the 3 that the other two have. CL and HCL have a damage fall off, disruptor's DON'T. On paper the SI are the lowest damaging core wep, but that's just on paper. SI have a PSI and Impact damage bonus vs everything since nothing stops PSI. Also SI have the smallest min/max damage gap, like on paper the IC are the hardest hitting things but they have a big min/max gap.

I do my research and Kluth are still on top with damage, just doesn't seem like it when UGTO and ICC have armor or shields that reduce damage.

Correct, and cannons do more damage than disruptors.
Now, do human ships have more cannons than K'luth?

The EAD has also 4, yes 4, core weapons, which are much stronger than Siphon's core weapons.

CL do 100% at point blank, 20% at max range.
HCL do 100% at point blank, 20% at max range. (They do twice as much damage as CLs.)
On the CL scale, disruptors do ~46% damage at all ranges.
On the HCL scale, assault disruptors do ~35% damage at all ranges. (Assault disruptors only do 50% more damage than normal ruptors.)
CL are clearly stronger than disruptor, but disruptors have more range.

On the CL scale, cannons do ~70% damage. (do they have damage falloff?)
Did you know that 70% is greater than 46%?

And human core weapons do more damage, even after resistance.
S.I.s also have the shortest range. That's shortest range AND lowest damage for K'luth core weapons. You can't have a harsher damage falloff than 0% damage which is what K'luth core weapons deal past 800gu.

Simply put, I would gladly trade all of my K'luth weapons for human equivalents, I would really enjoy the increase in damage and energy efficiency. But I'm sure you wouldn't.
[ This Message was edited by: Phoebuzz on 2010-05-09 20:36 ]

ssj4megaman
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 00:13   
Quote:

On 2010-05-09 20:31, Phoebuzz wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-09 17:43, Starcommand of ICC wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

UGTO med firepower.
ICC Poor firepower.

For firepower:
UGTO #1
K'luth #2
ICC #3

For defense:
UGTO #1
ICC #2
K'luth #3

Correct, and cannons do more damage than disruptors.
Now, do human ships have more cannons than K'luth?

The EAD has also 4, yes 4, core weapons, which are much stronger than Siphon's core weapons.

CL do 100% at point blank, 20% at max range.
HCL do 100% at point blank, 20% at max range. (They do twice as much damage as CLs.)
On the CL scale, disruptors do ~46% damage at all ranges.
On the HCL scale, assault disruptors do ~35% damage at all ranges. (Assault disruptors only do 50% more damage than normal ruptors.)
CL are clearly stronger than disruptor, but disruptors have more range.

On the CL scale, cannons do ~70% damage. (do they have damage falloff?)
Did you know that 70% is greater than 46%?

And human core weapons do more damage, even after resistance.
S.I.s also have the shortest range. That's shortest range AND lowest damage for K'luth core weapons. You can't have a harsher damage falloff than 0% damage which is what K'luth core weapons deal past 800gu.

Simply put, I would gladly trade all of my K'luth weapons for human equivalents, I would really enjoy the increase in damage and energy efficiency. But I'm sure you wouldn't.
[ This Message was edited by: Phoebuzz on 2010-05-09 20:36 ]

Definitely do not like ship limits

All i know is it gets old getting ranged to death... yes we can cloak, but man when the other factions start pinging to death, gets old getting hit from 1k+ range and i cannot even shoot back... I definitely dont like the range nerf that occured....
Also luth station are death traps, every other faction especially ugto can pwn in their stations, we jump in a nest and no range, and jump in a hive and some range, but less dmg, while a any other faction can just soak up my missiles while they out range me.... fun

Email ssj4megaman
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-10 00:39   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 00:13, /SkyMarshall\SSJ4MEGAMAN wrote:

Definitely do not like ship limits

All i know is it gets old getting ranged to death... yes we can cloak, but man when the other factions start pinging to death, gets old getting hit from 1k+ range and i cannot even shoot back... I definitely dont like the range nerf that occured....
Also luth station are death traps, every other faction especially ugto can pwn in their stations, we jump in a nest and no range, and jump in a hive and some range, but less dmg, while a any other faction can just soak up my missiles while they out range me.... fun

No one likes it.... but it may be necessary. If many other games have class limits, I don't see why it won't work here. Only stations are being limited, not the other classes of ships.

That's the problem with human nature. No one wants to cooperate and take a class that helps their factions. Everyone wants to be the AWP sniper in CounterStrike. Solution? Limit usage of the sniper. To hell with whingers. First come, first serve.... the rest, take a number.

7 stations vs 7 stations is fun? Imagine having 14 tubs sitting at 1000gu distance from each other just launching missiles, fighters and ranged weaps.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz............ DeadSpace.

If the fix does not lie in hardcapping station numbers, then it's time to make using them not so OP'ed or "attractive". We know that stations are tanks. But that's the point.

The irony of it all is that stations aren't OP per se. But they are OP when spammed, and the only way to counter this is to counter-spam them with your own stations. And the game degenerates into DragSpace...

The balancing act is to NOT nerf stations, but at the same time, nerfing their usage.

There are several easy and viable solutions that won't cause a headache for the devs in terms of coding work.

1. Hard capping station numbers.
Simplest of all to implement. But many FAs and above will cry blue murder. LOL

2. Reducing repair rates of stations by limiting the number of drones that can be used

This, IMO, is fair. All ships can be repped by a max of 3 or 4 drones at a time. 4 rep drones repping a dess or cruiser will fix it up fast. The same 4 rep drones on a station will take much longer. If it comes under attack while repping, it is vulnerable and has to run, unlike the present situation where focusing 20 drones on a station will see stupid situations where the station's armor can STILL go up despite receiving simultaneous alphas from 3 or 4 enemy dreads. That is utterly ridiculous.

It will also remove the stupid scenario where a dread can remain invincible when tailed by 8 supps following it around like remoras or bottom-feeders. LOL. Bottomline, it's supposed to be easier to take damage than to heal. It is supposed to be this way.

3. Removing core weapons on support/command stations, and removing most drones from battle stations

Suggested by some. Sounds good too. But this involves nerfing the ships themselves, which I don't like. All ships have their purpose, and nerfing one ship opens the door to whinging from players about nerfing another in return, and another, and another......

SS/CS retains all rep drones but has all core weaps replaced by standard....
BS loses all but 1 rep drones and retain core weaps.

Supp/Command stations will then no longer be offensive frontline tanks, while Battlestations can't be mobile repair tanks on the frontline.

But this will still not address the spamming issue, as they can spam 4 BS and 4 SS... and the results will still be the same.

There could be other solutions, granted. But these seem to be the easier to implement ones. What remains is the Dev's willingness to address game balance issues, regardless of how many feathers it might ruffle.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-05-10 00:57 ]

TE5LA
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 18:20   
Well, I'm pretty new here and don't even know how stations are obtained. Maybe someone would enlighten me. If they must be produced, might it be logical to make them more expensive and take much longer to build? One would think that would be the case anyway when compared to a spaceship.

Goto the website of TE5LA
Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 20:36   
Quote:

On 2010-05-03 02:05, Lonectzn wrote:

The only way to really fix it is to work out why there is such a bias towards large ships and address that. As i see it, small ships do not do enough damage, and stations do too much. We've been too long stuck in the idea that it should take x ships to kill y higher class. It's impractical, unfair and doesn't have any place in an online game.

We tried this. It was called 483. NEVER AGAIN. Complaining has ruined the game before - please don't let it happen again.

Phoebuzz
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 21:35   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 20:36, Xpli$it wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-03 02:05, Lonectzn wrote:

The only way to really fix it is to work out why there is such a bias towards large ships and address that. As i see it, small ships do not do enough damage, and stations do too much. We've been too long stuck in the idea that it should take x ships to kill y higher class. It's impractical, unfair and doesn't have any place in an online game.

We tried this. It was called 483. NEVER AGAIN. Complaining has ruined the game before - please don't let it happen again.

As far as my memory goes, the ships in DarkSpace have never been better balanced than they are today.
The only reason why Dreads reign supreme are jumpdrives and combat close-jumping. As long as large ships (dreads & stations) can constantly negate their maneuverability disadvantages by close-jumping smaller ships, smaller combat ships will stay marginal.

Adding a 2000gu range dictor to all station will not only make station more useful individually, it will also make all of the smaller combat ships much more powerful near a friendly stations by allowing them to gain the maximum benefits from their maneuverability advantage.
[ This Message was edited by: Phoebuzz on 2010-05-10 21:40 ]

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-05-10 21:57   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 21:35, Phoebuzz wrote:
Adding a 2000gu range dictor to all station will not only make station more useful individually, it will also make all of the smaller combat ships much more powerful near a friendly stations by allowing them to gain the maximum benefits from their maneuverability advantage.
[ This Message was edited by: Phoebuzz on 2010-05-10 21:40 ]

I agree.

Giving all stations a dictor would not only force them stationary, but give a use to small ships, which partially negates dreads. the only issue is stations would be even more powerfull when spammed.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-10 22:06   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 21:35, Phoebuzz wrote:

As far as my memory goes, the ships in DarkSpace have never been better balanced than they are today.
The only reason why Dreads reign supreme are jumpdrives and combat close-jumping. As long as large ships (dreads & stations) can constantly negate their maneuverability disadvantages by close-jumping smaller ships, smaller combat ships will stay marginal.

Hmmm... What do you mean by 2000 gu dictor range to stations?

Meaning that:

Stations cannot jump within 2000gus of another ship, or planet?

Or the reverse, where stations have a 2000gu dictor where ships can't close jump them?

If it's the latter, then it's ridiculous. The dictor cruiser fills in a niche role. Giving dictors to stations will make them OP in a planetary assault role.

They can drop troops, they can bomb planets, now they can dico vessels that are rushing in to save the planet?

This will serve to increase station spamming, which is what this thread is speaking out against.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-05-10 23:01 ]

Phoebuzz
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-11 00:39   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 22:06, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Hmmm... What do you mean by 2000 gu dictor range to stations?

Meaning that:

Stations cannot jump within 2000gus of another ship, or planet?

Or the reverse, where stations have a 2000gu dictor where ships can't close jump them?

If it's the latter, then it's ridiculous. The dictor cruiser fills in a niche role. Giving dictors to stations will make them OP in a planetary assault role.

They can drop troops, they can bomb planets, now they can dico vessels that are rushing in to save the planet?

This will serve to increase station spamming, which is what this thread is speaking out against.

It will reduce station spamming.
Adding a dictor to station will make the first station of a fleet more useful, but the dictors will not make each extra station any more useful. Which just happens to be exactly what we need, more single stations, less spamming.
And the station dictor will protect smaller ships making them comparatively more useful than bringing more station.

Also, my favorite ship is the Piercer. The interdictor cruisers are oriented toward an offensive role; they jump fast, move fast, they can keep a ship dicted much more easily, they survive much more easily than stations in hostile territory. I really don't fear for the 'niche' role of interdictor cruisers.
[ This Message was edited by: Phoebuzz on 2010-05-11 00:43 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027431 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR