- Weekly DarkSpace
05/18/24 +3.2 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/24 +9.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - TheMadDoctor1991

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Sitting on Stations
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
 Author Sitting on Stations
Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-07 01:16   

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-07 01:57   
Quote:

On 2012-10-06 21:46, Whiterin wrote:
Execpet that's wrong. Lately, last night my time for example, there were 3-5 siphons sitting on the station we had out at a time. Now, to address the suggested ways around this situation people have mentioned:

-Just have dreads for defense. Wow, no, really!? Because an AD can out beam 6 beam enh siphons right, or hey, even one! Yeah, no.

-Keep moving! Yeah, because stations are SO FAST that they are nearly impossible to keep up with! It's not hard to keep up with a station that's trying to run from you.

-Short jump out. Yeah, this would be a great idea if your enemy's JD didn't recharge 5x faster then yours and they couldn't just jump right back on you. Or hey, they usually just cloak and then 2 minutes later are right back on top of you.

This is an issue. Yes, the mechanics may have always been there, but this isn't how it's always been. It's not always been Luth siphon spam every time a station comes out. It's being HEAVILY abused lately, and it needs to stop. Either a new mechanic/weapon/collision thing needs to be added, or a rule needs to be put in place to do something about it. Just saying "LOL QQ MOAR" when people report, or complain about others circumventing and abusing game mechanics is down right idiotic. It's a problem, it needs to be fixed. Period.

3-5 Siphons don't even need to sit ontop of a Station to blow it up, even moreso if it's 6. If they do that they're just trolling for trolling's sake because you'd be dead no matter what, so why not kick you while you're down too just for the hell of it? Though honestly I'm having a real hard time seeing how that many ships would fit ontop of one Station without getting in eachother's way, even if it's just with beams. If it really was that many piled up on one Station I suspect it really WAS just for trolling's sake and only a couple of them were really firing while the rest were just there for S&G.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-07 02:00   
Quote:

On 2012-10-06 01:21, Havick86* wrote:

you rarely fly stations is how you deal with it.

So UGTO should perhaps adjust their tactics and rely less on stats?

PokeYourWaffle
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-07 02:17   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 01:16, Scorched Soul[+R][Help] wrote:

Haha, what an awesome picture. xD

Havick86*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 06:29   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 02:00, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-06 01:21, Havick86* wrote:

you rarely fly stations is how you deal with it.

So UGTO should perhaps adjust their tactics and rely less on stats?

the reason being is that they provide an important part to any fleet action.
If that is the case then remove them from the game. Sitting around a planet is a waste of a station.
Mobile service and support platforms is what they are. Only 1 station from each faction is supposed to even get within 800gu range of enemy ships. As to the remark of just "alpha laser them".
It barely has any impact unless your about inside of said enemy ship upon said station.
I still think a station that is destroyed or self destructs should take out any ships within a 150gu range.
They dwarf any ship so why not have their explosion resemble that.
[ This Message was edited by: Havick86* on 2012-10-07 06:30 ]

Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 06:52   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 01:57, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-06 21:46, Whiterin wrote:
Execpet that's wrong. Lately, last night my time for example, there were 3-5 siphons sitting on the station we had out at a time. Now, to address the suggested ways around this situation people have mentioned:

-Just have dreads for defense. Wow, no, really!? Because an AD can out beam 6 beam enh siphons right, or hey, even one! Yeah, no.

-Keep moving! Yeah, because stations are SO FAST that they are nearly impossible to keep up with! It's not hard to keep up with a station that's trying to run from you.

-Short jump out. Yeah, this would be a great idea if your enemy's JD didn't recharge 5x faster then yours and they couldn't just jump right back on you. Or hey, they usually just cloak and then 2 minutes later are right back on top of you.

This is an issue. Yes, the mechanics may have always been there, but this isn't how it's always been. It's not always been Luth siphon spam every time a station comes out. It's being HEAVILY abused lately, and it needs to stop. Either a new mechanic/weapon/collision thing needs to be added, or a rule needs to be put in place to do something about it. Just saying "LOL QQ MOAR" when people report, or complain about others circumventing and abusing game mechanics is down right idiotic. It's a problem, it needs to be fixed. Period.

3-5 Siphons don't even need to sit ontop of a Station to blow it up, even moreso if it's 6. If they do that they're just trolling for trolling's sake because you'd be dead no matter what, so why not kick you while you're down too just for the hell of it? Though honestly I'm having a real hard time seeing how that many ships would fit ontop of one Station without getting in eachother's way, even if it's just with beams. If it really was that many piled up on one Station I suspect it really WAS just for trolling's sake and only a couple of them were really firing while the rest were just there for S&G.

Not sure if you're trolling, stupid, or just clueless as to what's actually happening. They sit on stations to kill the ships AROUND the station with beams. When no ships are in range is when they go for the station. It makes it pretty much impossible to attack them back, and they are free to fire on any ships or the station as they please in relative safety. As for being in each other's way, no, why would they be? Beams are instant connect/damage weapons. They hit the target instantly, they don't splash or FF, so there is no being in the way.

As for the few people saying "well just don't use them". Really? WE shouldn't use stations, an important and valuable part of a decent fleet because other people want to abuse game mechaincs? Are you even thinking about what you're saying before you say it? Stations are intended to be in the game, they are intended to be in fleets, they are intended to be support, and protection for smaller ships. They shouldn't have to be not used, or have to jump out and abandon their purpose because of a glitch/abuse. That's ridiculous.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-07 09:49   
I propose a rather simple, though kind of brute force solution to this problem. I don't know how the code to check for the ability of weapons to fire works, but you should be able to add one simple short out line to the very top: if the z coordinate of your ship is greater than 0 (or 10, w/e you want) then don't allow the ship to fire. This prevents all forms of 'getting on top of other ships' to be useful, because the ship that's below you will still be able to fire, but you will not.

Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 09:59   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 09:49, Fatal Incinarator |SoT| wrote:
I propose a rather simple, though kind of brute force solution to this problem. I don't know how the code to check for the ability of weapons to fire works, but you should be able to add one simple short out line to the very top: if the z coordinate of your ship is greater than 0 (or 10, w/e you want) then don't allow the ship to fire. This prevents all forms of 'getting on top of other ships' to be useful, because the ship that's below you will still be able to fire, but you will not.

That seems reasonable... though I think it would cause some issue with close range combat. Also, might want to make it so you can PD still.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-07 10:01   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 06:52, Whiterin wrote:
Not sure if you're trolling, stupid, or just clueless as to what's actually happening. They sit on stations to kill the ships AROUND the station with beams. When no ships are in range is when they go for the station. It makes it pretty much impossible to attack them back, and they are free to fire on any ships or the station as they please in relative safety. As for being in each other's way, no, why would they be? Beams are instant connect/damage weapons. They hit the target instantly, they don't splash or FF, so there is no being in the way. As for the few people saying "well just don't use them". Really? WE shouldn't use stations, an important and valuable part of a decent fleet because other people want to abuse game mechaincs? Are you even thinking about what you're saying before you say it? Stations are intended to be in the game, they are intended to be in fleets, they are intended to be support, and protection for smaller ships. They shouldn't have to be not used, or have to jump out and abandon their purpose because of a glitch/abuse. That's ridiculous.

So everyone is automagically supposed to know what you're talking about even though you don't mention what's going on? If you'd said they were attacking ships around the station to begin with maybe people would have known that's what you were talking about. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm certainly not a mind reader and since I haven't been in MV in quite a while, so yeah, I haven't seen this going on.

Try using your brain instead of resorting to insults.

Have you used /report in game when this is occuring? Have you sent in an email about it? It certainly hasn't been posted it in the reports section of the forums, all that's happened is this thread whining about people camping ontop of stations, something that has been happening for years. How is anyone capable of doing something about an issue going to know what's going on if you don't properly explain it?

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-07 10:11   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 09:59, Whiterin wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 09:49, Fatal Incinarator |SoT| wrote:

That seems reasonable... though I think it would cause some issue with close range combat. Also, might want to make it so you can PD still.

I will not advocate getting rid of one form of the glitch and allowing another form to continue. If the devs wish it so, so be it, but I won't approve.
Yes, it will cause problems for close range combat. Everyone will just have to learn not to fly over their enemies unless they have a really good reason.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-07 10:25   
Well, one possible way to deal with this 'issue' would be to enable collisions only for stations.

I dunno if that is possible. But yeah, only for stats, and I mean friend and foe alike. That would mean that you can't stack stations, you can't put your favorite supply ship on a station, and so on. But neither can your enemies exploit them.

Downside, you have to fly your stations very carefully now. I dunno abt damage calculations for collisions, but basically any ship that collides with a station is toast. And any collision with a dread and above class should also render the station itself toast. If you jump into a station, then both are toast.

Sounds good?

Watch out for griefers and kamikaze attacks next...

Point is, sometimes the alternative may be even less palatable.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-10-07 10:28 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-10-07 10:32   
+1, something should be done so that ships cant use enemy (and even friendly) stations as meatshields just by floating on them.

also, this meatshielding strategy works even by a destroyer/cruiser sitting ontop of a dreadnought (think missile/bomber/agincourt/brood), which have minimal beam weapons and cannons. the cruiser wont be hurt much by the weak dread, and get the bonus of not getting hit by other enemy ships.
yes, it works.

so its not strictly limited to dreads ontop of stations, but also applies to cruisers on dreads, destroyers on dreads and, as an extreme example, frigates on cruisers.

i think, if a ship is going to be on-top of another ship, in general, then the height to which it is raised should be increased by 30-50%, or by a fixed amount of 10-20 gu.

this solves both the issue of camping ontop of enemy ships, as well as the "issue" of ships dropping infantry on enemy ships such that point-defence is completely defeated (which incidentally requires camping ontop of enemy ship).

for a camper dread, being even 10 gu above a station's hitbox region will lead to serious damage to the camper.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-07 10:38   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 10:25, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Well, one possible way to deal with this 'issue' would be to enable collisions only for stations.

I dunno if that is possible. But yeah, only for stats, and I mean friend and foe alike. That would mean that you can't stack stations, you can't put your favorite supply ship on a station, and so on. But neither can your enemies exploit them.

Downside, you have to fly your stations very carefully now. I dunno abt damage calculations for collisions, but basically any ship that collides with a station is toast. And any collision with a dread and above class should also render the station itself toast. If you jump into a station, then both are toast.

Sounds good?

Watch out for griefers and kamikaze attacks next...

Point is, sometimes the alternative may be even less palatable.

Don't forget that when you launch from a SY your positioning is random, sometimes ontop of another ship. Wouldn't be fun to get instagibbed simply by launching. And then there's going through gates, and Wormholes.

Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 10:52   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 10:01, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 06:52, Whiterin wrote:
Not sure if you're trolling, stupid, or just clueless as to what's actually happening. They sit on stations to kill the ships AROUND the station with beams. When no ships are in range is when they go for the station. It makes it pretty much impossible to attack them back, and they are free to fire on any ships or the station as they please in relative safety. As for being in each other's way, no, why would they be? Beams are instant connect/damage weapons. They hit the target instantly, they don't splash or FF, so there is no being in the way. As for the few people saying "well just don't use them". Really? WE shouldn't use stations, an important and valuable part of a decent fleet because other people want to abuse game mechaincs? Are you even thinking about what you're saying before you say it? Stations are intended to be in the game, they are intended to be in fleets, they are intended to be support, and protection for smaller ships. They shouldn't have to be not used, or have to jump out and abandon their purpose because of a glitch/abuse. That's ridiculous.

So everyone is automagically supposed to know what you're talking about even though you don't mention what's going on? If you'd said they were attacking ships around the station to begin with maybe people would have known that's what you were talking about. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm certainly not a mind reader and since I haven't been in MV in quite a while, so yeah, I haven't seen this going on.

Try using your brain instead of resorting to insults.

Have you used /report in game when this is occuring? Have you sent in an email about it? It certainly hasn't been posted it in the reports section of the forums, all that's happened is this thread whining about people camping ontop of stations, something that has been happening for years. How is anyone capable of doing something about an issue going to know what's going on if you don't properly explain it?

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS ABOUT THIS VERY ISSUE! FFS, you really are this... ugh, ok, let's be calm now... How about you go back through, and read the posts here, STARTING WITH THE FIRST ONE. The whole issue is about ships, namely luth, sitting on stations and attacking the station and surrounding ships without having to worry about being attacked back. THE WHOLE. ENTIRE. THREAD IS ABOUT THIS. How can you not know what's going on by now, really? Not a mind reader... guess you don't read posts either. And yes, I have posted about this issue, not to long ago in fact.

Stations are meant to shield smaller and damaged ships, and it's one of the main purposes for them... Fixing the issue will be tricky, I admit.

I always thought that there should be some kind of "docking" mechanism for stations and ships. Like X number of ships can dock with the station at once. Docked ships will be able to PD, but nothing else, and will move with the station until undocked. Could disable all weapons for other ships on top of the station then. Just an idea.

[ This Message was edited by: Whiterin on 2012-10-07 10:55 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-10-07 11:11   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 10:52, Whiterin wrote:
Stations are meant to shield smaller and damaged ships, and it's one of the main purposes for them... Fixing the issue will be tricky, I admit.

not true, stations are primarily for hauling a lot of weaponry and devices in a single huge package, and using them as and when required.

there, period, is simply no ship which is designed for actively and/or effectively meatshielding other ships. you can put something (planet, friendly, enemy) between yourself and the thing attacking you, but that only protects you from 1 direction. the current "shielding" effect is nearly omnidirectional, and completely prevents damage except from other ships on the station, and ICC station missiles which fire upwards.

it will be good for DS if this bug is removed or dealt with, when possible.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023752 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR