- Weekly DarkSpace
05/18/24 +3.7 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/24 +10.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - TheMadDoctor1991

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Sitting on Stations
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
 Author Sitting on Stations
Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 11:13   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 11:11, Mike Paradox wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 10:52, Whiterin wrote:
Stations are meant to shield smaller and damaged ships, and it's one of the main purposes for them... Fixing the issue will be tricky, I admit.

not true, stations are primarily for hauling a lot of weaponry and devices in a single huge package, and using them as and when required.

there, period, is simply no ship which is designed for actively and/or effectively meatshielding other ships. you can put something (planet, friendly, enemy) between yourself and the thing attacking you, but that only protects you from 1 direction. the current "shielding" effect is nearly omnidirectional, and completely prevents damage except from other ships on the station, and ICC station missiles which fire upwards.

it will be good for DS if this bug is removed or dealt with, when possible.

A quote from the DS manual about stations:
"They are able to reload and repair friendly ships, as well as to shield them from damage."

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-07 12:14   
It's not a bug.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-07 12:23   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 10:38, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 10:25, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Well, one possible way to deal with this 'issue' would be to enable collisions only for stations.

I dunno if that is possible. But yeah, only for stats, and I mean friend and foe alike. That would mean that you can't stack stations, you can't put your favorite supply ship on a station, and so on. But neither can your enemies exploit them.

Downside, you have to fly your stations very carefully now. I dunno abt damage calculations for collisions, but basically any ship that collides with a station is toast. And any collision with a dread and above class should also render the station itself toast. If you jump into a station, then both are toast.

Sounds good?

Watch out for griefers and kamikaze attacks next...

Point is, sometimes the alternative may be even less palatable.

Don't forget that when you launch from a SY your positioning is random, sometimes ontop of another ship. Wouldn't be fun to get instagibbed simply by launching. And then there's going through gates, and Wormholes.

Exactly. That's why I was saying, sometimes trying to fix something that isn't technically broken could make things worse.

My take is that this situation would fall under what we could call "unconventional tactics". Similar to mass gate mining, or SY camping, just to give a couple of examples.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-07 12:26   
three words for this thread: Adapt and overcome.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-07 12:46   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 10:52, Whiterin wrote:
THIS WHOLE THREAD IS ABOUT THIS VERY ISSUE! FFS, you really are this... ugh, ok, let's be calm now... How about you go back through, and read the posts here, STARTING WITH THE FIRST ONE. The whole issue is about ships, namely luth, sitting on stations and attacking the station and surrounding ships without having to worry about being attacked back. THE WHOLE. ENTIRE. THREAD IS ABOUT THIS. How can you not know what's going on by now, really? Not a mind reader... guess you don't read posts either. And yes, I have posted about this issue, not to long ago in fact.

I did read the entire thread before I even started posting and noticed one post aside from your previous one that mentioned being damaged by someone camping ontop of a station. The rest of the thread, including your own other posts, said nothing to reflect this and it was all pretty much limited to complaints about people camping ontop of stations and blowing them up with no real solutions offered.

Quote:
Stations are meant to shield smaller and damaged ships, and it's one of the main purposes for them... Fixing the issue will be tricky, I admit.

I always thought that there should be some kind of "docking" mechanism for stations and ships. Like X number of ships can dock with the station at once. Docked ships will be able to PD, but nothing else, and will move with the station until undocked. Could disable all weapons for other ships on top of the station then. Just an idea.

And this is the kind of thing that should be posted instead of just "people are doing this and it sucks", an actual idea that isn't completely out there. If I remember right, there actually used to be a docking feature that was disabled or removed.

µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 12:57   
how about a station repulser field that prevents enemy ships from getting too close

or players can just cap the station campers thats what inf is for
[ This Message was edited by: µOmniVore on 2012-10-07 12:58 ]

Email µOmniVore
Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-07 13:48   
This "Issue" is as old as the game itself and the solution is too. Get our friends, especially the ones in EAD's to climb on top as well and shoot back. If you are flying your station alone you are lacking in either the mental capacity department or the friend department, and if you have "friends" and no one is willing to climb on top of you to help you out well then they just aren't your friends. In either case the VERY simple solution is dont fly a station at that particular moment unless you objective is to lose lots of pres in which case feel free to come find me at any time.

[ This Message was edited by: Scorched Soul[+R][Help] on 2012-10-07 13:49 ]

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 14:00   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 12:14, Pantheon wrote:
It's not a bug.

Case closed
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Abbot
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2012-10-07 14:16   
Bring back the tractor beam where you could push your enemy away.
Problem solved

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-07 14:54   
Quote:

On 2012-10-06 20:13, rykros1987 wrote:
I don't know much about stations or ad's or ead's but I do know one thing. I don't care about politics or peoples opinions other then when they actually show a reason for things.

Stations were put into this game for a reason. It has a purpose and not only does the repair capabilities show that but so does the long range and short range weaponry.

When a particular action causes stations to suddenly have no use and to become shields for the enemy turning the battle entirely in their favor in a way that causes people to hate using stations its obviously apparent that how things are now is not how they should be.

The station was given a purpose and its turning out to literally not have much of one anymore with this particular scenario which happens to rampantly occur in almost every battle involving stations.

Sure its 'always' been this way from what I hear but how has anything in the world in any way what so ever...been improved by the attitude of 'its how its always been who cares'?

To me the act of sitting on a station to use it against its own forces is not an intended feature. I highly doubt it and if it is... it wasn't well thought out at the time and is too easy to pull off rendering stations in large scale battles utterly useless compared to where they should be now.

When something makes any particular feature of this game seem useless at times then its best to re-evaluate it. Since obviously theres a problem if people despise using a station since they constantly get used as meat shields by the enemy.

Now the best thing I've noticed in suggestions so far is a station collision type response. Where the other ship explodes and does damage relative to its size to the station. This would prevent sitting and nobody would be dumb enough to try to lose points ramming a station.

I would completely use the ramming feature Grab stat, pj stat, drop on stat, ram stat...

Diesalot
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 15:06   
From my experience this is what I found out:

If you sit on station and shoot the station it self, it takes very little damage from beams. If you use torps you hurt yourself as well. Most of the damage that happens to station are by FF.

If another ship (friendly) is between you and your target, the beams will hurt the friendly and not the target. I have no idea where all of you get this idea that the beam magicaly ignores them and goes through them.

so in conclusion, fly with team mates that know how to defend your station.

Havick86*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 15:08   
Adding anything to the game physics would in my opinion be abit to much on the servers, it would also cause us a huge ammount of grief that we all honestly would complain about. Changing the way weapons fire or adding giving a station a status of a planet and allow collisions with them would I think require a completely different change of the mechanics. A station blowing up how ever? Simply requires a damge increase to an exsisting code to somthing thats already there. It really is the fastest way to change somthing. It would give any dread a life expectancy of 10 seconds.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-07 15:31   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 15:06, Diesalot wrote:

If you sit on station and shoot the station it self, it takes very little damage from beams. If you use torps you hurt yourself as well. Most of the damage that happens to station are by FF.

If another ship (friendly) is between you and your target, the beams will hurt the friendly and not the target. I have no idea where all of you get this idea that the beam magicaly ignores them and goes through them.

Back in the days, When you fired beam at a ship, and there was another one in the way, you'd see the beam hit that ship only.
Today, beams will go trough the ship and hit the one behind

Wherver wish ship gets damaged, i have no clue myself, but i beleive this is why people think beams go trough friendlys
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-10-07 15:36   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 15:08, Havick86* wrote:
. A station blowing up how ever? Simply requires a damge increase to an exsisting code to somthing thats already there. It really is the fastest way to change somthing. It would give any dread a life expectancy of 10 seconds.

...and give a return to stats sding on fleets.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-07 15:47   
Quote:

On 2012-10-07 15:06, Diesalot wrote:

Yes beams will cause FF if someone is between you and the target, but if you're both ontop of a Station you'll hit the target and not the Station. I suppose I should've been a bit clearer by saying "beams won't FF a station if you're both ontop of it".

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023469 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR