No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Suggestions: Balance of Power, etc.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
 Author Suggestions: Balance of Power, etc.
Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-30 12:21   

Quote:

On 2010-03-30 08:28, BackSlash wrote:

I've flown the Krill enough times to know that it is insanely overpowered when it comes to energy. It can alpha more times than anyone's business. I'm no pro when it comes to K'luth's energy management, but I'm clued up enough to know that being able to alpha more times than any other Dread of it's level is not how it's meant to be. Regardless of the views on that, it's being looked at and will be fixed at some point.

Their are no other dreads on the same tier as the Krill . Either Luth lost a ship and you added this or UGTO/ICC are missing a ship on the Tier of the Krill.

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-30 12:34   
enough with this balance of power rubbish it ain't gonna happen so why bother

SPaRTaN Z
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-30 12:50   
u can defend against a kluth tranny rush..
beacons
sensors (more than 1 , try 3,4, 5??)
sensor bases.. i'm not talking one or 2 here either..
put 10 barracks on the planet..
keep reinforcing..
start capping elsewhere?
.. the only uggs that have any idea are RSM and no-one has listen to them so why bother?
tranny cap the planet and eat them when they are caught in their own dictor...
en masse the great transport rush
down with ugto

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-30 12:53   
Kluth generally don't planet hug, so I don't know where that's coming from. Sometimes they use ganglias from orbit, but that's vs the true planet huggers (we know who they are, no need to say it).

I think people are expecting the EAD to really be "elite" because of the name. It's no more elite than the AD. It's also a very situational ship, and usually a BD is better vs Kluth.

Just like you don't want to use range vs the ICC with their pulse beams and waves and all that ranged firepower they have, you don't want to use a ship vs Kluth that has it's firepower and armor concentrated in front, because Kluth are a lot more mobile and can easily get behind a dread. There's not a problem with the EAD itself, there's a problem with the choice of EAD vs BD when fighting Kluth.

EADs do well vs stations, but how many times do you see Kluth stations in combat? No, you want a ship with more balanced armor and firepower covering many arcs vs Kluth dreads.

There shouldn't be "One Dread To Rule Them All" in a faction. With Kluth though there is, and that's because of the design of the faction. Human factions are not designed the same way, and have either more balanced ships like BDs or close-range fore arc assault ships like EADs. Kluth on the other hand concentrate firepower and armor in the fore arc for most ships, so before a player can use a Krill he will use a Mandible or Siphon, then inevitably abandon it for a Krill later. It's basically an upgrade with range, whereas a EAD is not an upgrade to a BD; they're completely different ships with completely different strengths and weaknesses.

As for cloak, I'm an advocate for the old cloak system where ECCM revealed it and ECM hid it. This has numerous advantages, including greater usefulness of smaller ships for all factions (more ECCM for humans, more ECM for Kluth, since dreads only have 1 slot), and a geniune ability to counter cloak. You can simply overwhelm Kluth cloak if you bring enough ECCM, which requires Kluth bring their own ECM to counter, and all of a sudden smaller ships are needed...

(sorry if this is tl;dr)

EDIT: Planet hugging Kluth are usually AFK. Kluth don't hug their planets while fighting (except the occasional ganglia range fest). It's UGTO that planet hug, always staying near their defense bases, depots, and tons of supply. It's almost a running joke now.
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2010-03-30 13:08 ]

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-30 13:18   
It IS a running gag among the ICC. Including the amount of Stations.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-30 13:49   
Quote:

On 2010-03-30 12:53, MrSparkle wrote:
Kluth generally don't planet hug, so I don't know where that's coming from. Sometimes they use ganglias from orbit, but that's vs the true planet huggers (we know who they are, no need to say it).

I think people are expecting the EAD to really be "elite" because of the name. It's no more elite than the AD. It's also a very situational ship, and usually a BD is better vs Kluth.

Just like you don't want to use range vs the ICC with their pulse beams and waves and all that ranged firepower they have, you don't want to use a ship vs Kluth that has it's firepower and armor concentrated in front, because Kluth are a lot more mobile and can easily get behind a dread. There's not a problem with the EAD itself, there's a problem with the choice of EAD vs BD when fighting Kluth.

EADs do well vs stations, but how many times do you see Kluth stations in combat? No, you want a ship with more balanced armor and firepower covering many arcs vs Kluth dreads.

There shouldn't be "One Dread To Rule Them All" in a faction. With Kluth though there is, and that's because of the design of the faction. Human factions are not designed the same way, and have either more balanced ships like BDs or close-range fore arc assault ships like EADs. Kluth on the other hand concentrate firepower and armor in the fore arc for most ships, so before a player can use a Krill he will use a Mandible or Siphon, then inevitably abandon it for a Krill later. It's basically an upgrade with range, whereas a EAD is not an upgrade to a BD; they're completely different ships with completely different strengths and weaknesses.

As for cloak, I'm an advocate for the old cloak system where ECCM revealed it and ECM hid it. This has numerous advantages, including greater usefulness of smaller ships for all factions (more ECCM for humans, more ECM for Kluth, since dreads only have 1 slot), and a geniune ability to counter cloak. You can simply overwhelm Kluth cloak if you bring enough ECCM, which requires Kluth bring their own ECM to counter, and all of a sudden smaller ships are needed...

(sorry if this is tl;dr)

EDIT: Planet hugging Kluth are usually AFK. Kluth don't hug their planets while fighting (except the occasional ganglia range fest). It's UGTO that planet hug, always staying near their defense bases, depots, and tons of supply. It's almost a running joke now.

another smart ds player wish more people would see it this way

Email Borgie
G.Adm. Kirk
Grand Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-03-30 15:18   
Quote:

On 2010-03-30 12:53, MrSparkle wrote:

(sorry if this is tl;dr)

I can gnereally agree with those points. There indeed shouldn't be "one dread to rule them all," but on any faction. Perhaps once the energy changes occurr on the Krill it will become more bearable. I agree on the cloaking situation. Either that needs to happen, or the field-type thing that was discussed on the last couple of pages needs to.

I know that the "WHY DOES LUTH GET A GA SHIP AND WE DON'T" discussion has been hashed out in the past, but I do still ponder it...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember the rationalle behind the last rank and requirement adjustment? (The one that moved the cruisers up...)

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-30 15:56   
Quote:

On 2010-03-30 12:20, Tael wrote:
People are focusing on planet hug comments, and sorry to say, every time I go in server I see Kluth all clustered and hugging planets.

Maybe these two or three players dont do it, but I see it all the time now.

But what the K'luth players are ignoring is the bigger problem, the cloak tranny rush.

There is no way for the humans to defend their planets if the Kluth can send in 4 or 5 transports full of inf cloaked, get 50 gu from the surfaces, and uncloak and drop inf. Nearly instant take over of the planet.

I think all the trannsports are to easy to drop on planet. Yes kluth got the easiest drop but its realy easy to drop with icc or ugto aswell. Im supprised that you only mention one faction and not all. Tranny rushin is an BIG issue in darksapce atm. For all factions.

Beef up beams or other stuff on planets so that the tranny simple cant drop on planet with full defence. A transporter is a supply ship for a fleet. Not an attack ship that its used for now (planet wise). It should go in and drop if the planet defence is down.

As far as the Krill goes i do agree that the energy is high compared to other kluth ships.
And ive fougth many EADs so far and they are devastating to meet in a front to front battle. Use it rigth and it is a lethal weapon. And with all lethal weapons they always have a weak spot, the back armor in this case.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-30 16:07   
FYI not all UGTO planet camp. It's become a 'thing' where everyone who can seems to jump into a support station and sit at a planet. Even if there are already one, or two, they think "I'm better!" and jump into another.

We can't do anything to curb players choices on that front. Everyone thinks they're the best in their own minds. I myself on a personal level absolutely HATE players who think yet ANOTHER station or dreadnought when we already have 4+ is a good idea. Many UGTO players will attest to the fact that I've asked Stations and Dread pilots to move down to cruisers (in addition to myself), and they simply ignore because they think they're above it.

It's an issue with behaviour, and there's not much we can do except force players into smaller ships, which is something I think we'll have to do when we look at planetary interaction and how shipyards work. People may not like it, but it's a direction we may have to look into to curb the behaviour of the game in general.

El Guapo
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-30 16:37   
Quote:

On 2010-03-30 12:20, Tael wrote:
People are focusing on planet hug comments, and sorry to say, every time I go in server I see Kluth all clustered and hugging planets.

Maybe these two or three players dont do it, but I see it all the time now.

But what the K'luth players are ignoring is the bigger problem, the cloak tranny rush.

There is no way for the humans to defend their planets if the Kluth can send in 4 or 5 transports full of inf cloaked, get 50 gu from the surfaces, and uncloak and drop inf. Nearly instant take over of the planet.

Truthfully I have never seen four or five k'luth trannies out rushing, when I have attempted to drop on a guarded planet I think my success ratio is close to nine failed attempts, one successfull...

Back to your first comment, about huggie, huggie, nice planet, you must not spend much time in game... We take the battles to the ICC and the UGTO, unless we are defending our planets, oh and I forgot when you are mining resources....

El Guapo
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-30 17:35   
Quote:

On 2010-03-30 10:05, Drafell wrote:
The Elite Aassault Dreadnought and the Krill may be in the same class, but they are definitely not in the same role, so any comparisons you make between them during a fight are mute.

The EAD is a close ranged assault ship. You get in close and have enough energy to do a lot of damage in a short time. It is NOT intended in any way to go up against a Krill and win. If the Krill is stupid enough to get close then sure, the EAD should pummel it severely, otherwise the Krill has the advantage.

The Krill is a ranged assault ship and has more in common with a Battle Dreadnought than any other vessel. Used properly it can be a devastating ship, but finds itself vulnerable to other ranged ships. Battle Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers, Combat Dreadnoughts and Battle Dreadnoughts can hold thier own and often drive the Krill away.

I don't feel the EAD is in the same class as the Krill, it is how ever in the same class as the Siphon.

Think BackSlash needs to spend more time in chit armor and be on the buisness end of some of the ICC and UGTO ships, also believe said nerf bat needs to be put some where where only a proctologist should go...

Two proctologists are discussing their most baffling cases. One proctologist
tells the other one about the time he put his hand into a patient and pulled out a large nerf bat. The other proctologist looked really amazed and asked, "Where did that nerf bat come from?" The other proctologist answered very cooly, "How should I know. There wasn't any card!!"

[ This Message was edited by: El Desterrado on 2010-03-30 17:38 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-30 17:54   
A lot of us devs have alternate accounts that we play on from time to time, so we do get on the business end of pretty much everything. On a personal note, some of you who absolutely HATE 'me', love me under a different name, and treat me completely different. You may think we dev's are all about , but this is an ongoing project, and requires continual balancing.

Players are tricky things, and we sometimes overlook particular things when designing something. In this case, we just overlooked the energy capability of the Krill - that will be all we'll be looking at, there will be no nerf to it's damage output (unless you factor in the amount of alpha's it can fire off), and no nerf to it's defence. It fills a completely different roll to the EAD, AD, and Siphon, but when you compare it to the other super dreads, and the other K'luth ships, and in fact the ENTIRE faction design - it does not fit the mould.

I was flying the Krill, and I could fly around and pretty much ignore my energy. That is not how it's meant to work. Whilst the EAD and Krill have different roles, they are the SAME class of ship (super dreads), and faction design's should always apply to a ship on that faction.

We are always looking at things and re-evaluating them. The fact that a few of what I consider sound and reputable K'luth and ICC players are asking for a buff to the EAD tells me that we must be doing our job. Just because most of us fly UGTO on our player accounts, does not mean we want it to be stacked in UGTO's favour - that would be no fun.

There should be balance holes on every faction, all over the place - and that's just what we have now. Some of them are more annoying than others, some of them are more important, and some of them just don't matter that much in the long stretch of things.

Looking back at this thread, it tells me a few things:

A) You don't like people camping at planets.
B) You don't like people taking out tons and tons of Stations and Dreads.
C) You don't like how planets can be captured out from underneath a defending fleet with relative ease.
D) You don't like how easy it is to disable a ship simply by getting behind it (and getting out of that is rather tricky, and sometimes impossible).

The rest are just balance niggles that we will always have (nature of game development). We will always try to balance out the game, and rest assured, if something doesn't work, or is too harsh/lenient we'll revert it or tweak it further until we are happy (and you could point out many points of the game that none of us are happy with).

Hope this answers a few questions some of you may be having. If I'm way off ball here, feel free to tell me (as I'm sure some of you will).

- Jack

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-30 18:04   
Please remember, Jack, that we ALSO don't like being arbitrarily limited to ships below our "level", so to say. There's a bunch of players who think that, "If you have the rank you should fly the big stuff".

And then they start jumping Scouts with four Stations, and yelling over /y how much of a noobs the others are for flying small ships.

Although limiting high-level ships is a good idea, as far as I'm concerned, it might sit wrong with the people who can't have fun unless they're in a Station.

G.Adm. Kirk
Grand Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-03-30 18:34   
I do like the concept of mixing up big ships and little ships, but there should be some incentive for the player to make that choice, instead of an arbitrary rule. When I can make 4000 pres/day shrooming around for a few hours, why should I pull a dessie? I do occassionally still pull one out, but only becuase the fleet is in desparate need. If there was some way to make a prestige reward for flying smaller ships, I think that most non-ga's would hop out of the station without much coaxing.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-30 19:05   

Jack, doesnt matter how hard do you try to explain ,it wont work for kluth players when you are talking about the only super ship for kluth and a nerf bat. So in exchange what will we have? Will kluth players get a dread at VA? Why had to nerf already twice the krill since 1.5 came out? Will we get our spent credits on krills after u nerf the energy? (In a case we wont like and fly it). If people dont like getting shoot at their ass will kluth get a hammer head ead style armor?(no way we can go toe to toe). Isnt there realy any desadvantage on kluth faction? Is everything at our favour?

Realy want to see answer for each question!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Page created in 0.041252 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR