No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » 1.670
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
 Author 1.670
Gerlach
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-26 07:10   
I was about to write a longer rant here, but Azure and Defiance's posts have changed my mind.

When I wrote my predictions about sub-dread ships and my statement on ICC cruisers about a month ago it was deletet because "it wasn't based on proper tests". In short I wrote about how said ships will have trouble surviving new damage outputs and pointed at the new ICC cruiser layouts, which are very well done. Now after a few days of testing in live MV and deriving from Defiance's post, I guess I was right.

But there are other issues that bother me:
- One of the ideas of the patch was to reduce the use of dreadnaughts, stations and missile spam. We still have that at the same scale.
- K'Luth don't have any ships worth using other than dreads, they even lost Scale as an option.

And in the continuation of the most recent change:
- I don't think reducing already low damage value of ICC main guns can solve anything. Rescaling PCannon damage fall off is better from my POV.
- More armor and less shields on ICC ships is a nonsense defeating their original design. It will reduce agility and ICC ability to survive a K'Luth attack.
- And for 101th time, range advantage excuse is irrelevant because large ships can't keep it in real combat and it's not possible to hit a ship smaller than dread above a certain range. Also note the limited ammo supply.

[ This Message was edited by: Gerlach on 2011-07-26 09:42 ]

\"I'M HEAVY METAL \\m/>_<\\m/ !!\"

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-07-26 07:14   
You talk about knee jerk reactions, I was playing yesterday for 4 hours whilst UGTO were trying a Destroyers only, Cruisers only, Dreads only, Destroyers and Cruisers, Cruisers and Dreads, Dreads and Destroyers, a mix of all... Nothing worked, and afted looking at the stats from the server, 4 UGTO died for every 1 ICC, and we had the numbers advantage.

This was nothing to do with skill or tactics, there were times when two UGTO jumped a Strike Cruiser, and the SC killed both. There are many balancing issues that will only ever be brought to light when we push release, and this is one of them.

We will be monitoring and toning down/up factions as we deem necessairy to make the game enjoyable for everyone. Right now, it isn't, and we're addressing that. People from the community crying foul without removing their bias and testing what has been changed will likely be ignored, as I've read several comments that no facts back-up, and cannot be true in any way, shape, or form.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-26 08:41   
"This was nothing to do with skill or tactics, there were times when two UGTO jumped a Strike Cruiser, and the SC killed both."

Which UGTO ships were those, who was flying the Strike Cruiser, who were the UGTO flying those ships? I honestly can't imagine the Strike Cruiser taking out two Cruisers, so were they Destroyers or Frigates?

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-26 10:04   
Quote:

On 2011-07-26 08:41, Bardiche wrote:
"This was nothing to do with skill or tactics, there were times when two UGTO jumped a Strike Cruiser, and the SC killed both."

Which UGTO ships were those, who was flying the Strike Cruiser, who were the UGTO flying those ships? I honestly can't imagine the Strike Cruiser taking out two Cruisers, so were they Destroyers or Frigates?

Don't forget Ehns

Email *FTL*Soulless
MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-07-26 10:41   
Quote:
- I don't think reducing already low damage value of ICC main guns can solve anything. Rescaling PCannon damage fall off is better from my POV.

Actually, with the weapons nerf, the UGTO pcannon is BETTER than the railgun at all ranges, which shows that you need to remove the weapon nerf.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-07-26 10:43   
Quote:

On 2011-07-26 10:41, darksmaster923 (3IC) wrote:
Quote:

Actually, with the weapons nerf, the UGTO pcannon is BETTER than the railgun at all ranges, which shows that you need to remove the weapon nerf.

No, it's not. Jim's math was incorrect. The Railgun is better at all ranges except under 30% of max range.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-26 11:01   
Strike Cruiser (Defiance) vs. Battle Dreadnought (Bardiche) and Torpedo Cruiser (Me), all 3 ships fully enhanced and armor/shield modded, full MV condition simulation.

Engagement started from long range, SC dead within 30 seconds of all 3 ships being in close range, BD with 70% armor left overall, TC with 95% armor left overall.

I guess the new changes worked.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-07-26 11:09   
*SC mod

left and right reactive shields

for and aft active shields

1x color trail

3x makhar ship boosters

4x adv weapon accelerators

Aft Gauss guns.

*BD mod

all ablative armor

1x unknown.. (sorry forgot)

7x adv def upgrades.

*TC mod

1x color trail

7x makhar ship boosters

ablative armor

An Fiach
Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-26 11:39   
This wasn't affected at all by UGTO being outnumbered, ICC being in a defensive position with better access to supply and repair? Was it also not affected by fighters and missiles hitting ships that are in close combat with a single ship at a distance?

Seems there is a lot of variables to take into account, the above, as well as player skill, enhancements, etc. and none can be accurately reproduced unless you run a closed simulation with AI about 100 times and record the results.

In any case, using players to gauge the results of changes made is unreliable, especially when they know you are watching. Very few will really be objective, despite appearances.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-26 11:42   
Right, forgot to list layouts.

Bard used a mix of makkar and def enh with an engine trail, not 100% sure the exact mix but he had at least 2 makkar, far as I know he used all particle cannons with no emp. But yeah, I used 1x engine trail and 7x makkar.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-26 12:07   
Quote:

On 2011-07-26 07:14, Pantheon wrote:
You talk about knee jerk reactions, I was playing yesterday for 4 hours whilst UGTO were trying a Destroyers only, Cruisers only, Dreads only, Destroyers and Cruisers, Cruisers and Dreads, Dreads and Destroyers, a mix of all... Nothing worked, and afted looking at the stats from the server, 4 UGTO died for every 1 ICC, and we had the numbers advantage.

This was nothing to do with skill or tactics, there were times when two UGTO jumped a Strike Cruiser, and the SC killed both. There are many balancing issues that will only ever be brought to light when we push release, and this is one of them.

We will be monitoring and toning down/up factions as we deem necessairy to make the game enjoyable for everyone. Right now, it isn't, and we're addressing that. People from the community crying foul without removing their bias and testing what has been changed will likely be ignored, as I've read several comments that no facts back-up, and cannot be true in any way, shape, or form.

You said

Quote:

ICC weapons got a 10% reduction in damage (this is VERY minor, so don't go shouting to the high heavens about how much it'll change things).
UGTO weapons got a 10% boost in damage.

Standard Armor got a 25% hp increase.
Active Shields got a 25% hp decreased.

My point was, you reduced ICC weaps, you could have left UGTO weaps untouched first and then make observations before boosting or adjusting the other side. Same for armor. You could have boosted it without reducing shields.

Small steps first. That's why I called it a knee jerk reaction.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-26 12:49   
Quote:

On 2011-07-26 11:39, An Fiach wrote:
This wasn't affected at all by UGTO being outnumbered, ICC being in a defensive position with better access to supply and repair? Was it also not affected by fighters and missiles hitting ships that are in close combat with a single ship at a distance?

Seems there is a lot of variables to take into account, the above, as well as player skill, enhancements, etc. and none can be accurately reproduced unless you run a closed simulation with AI about 100 times and record the results.

In any case, using players to gauge the results of changes made is unreliable, especially when they know you are watching. Very few will really be objective, despite appearances.

It's AI testing that's unreliable, as AI suck in combat and can't do much of anything unless a player is ordering them around, otherwise half the time you'll come up to an AI that's heading somewhere else and it just flies in a straight line while you follow behind it and blow it apart. Player testing is the only option since the bulk of combat is player vs player and not player vs AI.

But I suppose if you want REALLY accurate results you'd have to get people to not use their own faction's ships when doing testing so there can't be any claims of bias.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-07-26 12:53   
i have to say when you SC wolf pack and have a bunch of HC and dassies as support it a vary scary sight.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles
Leader of the Exathra Alliance Fleet.

Email Xavier I. Agamemnon   Goto the website of Xavier I. Agamemnon
An Fiach
Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-26 14:32   
Quote:

On 2011-07-26 12:49, Talien wrote:

It's AI testing that's unreliable, as AI suck in combat and can't do much of anything unless a player is ordering them around, otherwise half the time you'll come up to an AI that's heading somewhere else and it just flies in a straight line while you follow behind it and blow it apart. Player testing is the only option since the bulk of combat is player vs player and not player vs AI.

But I suppose if you want REALLY accurate results you'd have to get people to not use their own faction's ships when doing testing so there can't be any claims of bias.

Well, I meant AI vs AI but you have a point, it is so lousy as to prevent any rigorous testing with it. It is important though, as I said, to be extremely careful when using player feedback as a guide. I've seen it before in other games; Certain 'trusted' players began feeding false information to the devs in order to secure a faction advantage. I've even seen an entire faction play in a manner intended to skew the statistics in order to secure buffs or prevent nerfs for their faction.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-26 15:09   
Quote:

On 2011-07-26 11:09, *XO*Defiance wrote:
*SC mod

left and right reactive shields

for and aft active shields

1x color trail

3x makhar ship boosters

4x adv weapon accelerators

Aft Gauss guns.

*BD mod

all ablative armor

1x unknown.. (sorry forgot)

7x adv def upgrades.

*TC mod

1x color trail

7x makhar ship boosters

ablative armor

You're totally right. We should just all use ablative because ICC doesn't field any assault ships ever. I mean using ablative vs a ship with all kinetic weapons is totally simulating what happens in the MV. 1 siphon/mandi/AD and both UGTO ships will drop their armor.

Also to all complaining about ranges:
Dictor. ICC didn't have trouble keeping range when pd was broken. Why now?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021338 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR