No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Dreadspace (yes, that dead horse)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
 Author Dreadspace (yes, that dead horse)
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-19 06:32   
The only time I've found missiles to be a real threat, is when they're coming from a support station, because those have:
- A ton of lasers for short range
- Massive amounts of armor and hull
- A repair field
- A repair drone
- Missiles that can apparently loop around despite you being in the dead-zone.
- HARPEX

Oh and Ganglias because the missiles are invisible even though you got 2 ships running a total of 6 ECCM

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-04-19 06:34 ]

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-19 06:50   
They are not in viable, they are cloaked like the description says they are supposed to be...

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-19 07:28   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 06:50, Taelon*RO* wrote:
They are not in viable, they are cloaked like the description says they are supposed to be...

Incorrect they have a negative sig. So With enough EW in the Area your suposed to be able to PD them like any other missile. Jack even reduced the sig in beta because even a ridiculousness amount of ECCM (4 longwave and 8 normal eccm) would do nothing.....but nothing ever works like intended

@Kenny, so a station whos top speed has been reduced to 3.5 Gu/s. Is supposed to slow boat it to a planet because of a new limiter that is supposed to stop them, from dropping on the heads of ships nearby. Do you have any idea whats thats gonna cause?

Here for simple sake. A station is 2k away from a planet, when it suddenly needs to get back to help his teammates to Slow Boat would take him Ten minutes! now to even jump away out of range then Back to the planet take almost half as long and would leave him vulnerable. And with the changes to stations its gonna be even worse for him to be alone.

So looking at that...not a very good idea right off hand, not a bad one either but not good. Would be much better to tie it in with some sort of cooldown related to the in/out of combat timer. So if your out of combat you can make those shorter leaps, and if your in combat you cant

Email *FTL*Soulless
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-19 07:37   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 06:32, Fluttershy wrote:
The only time I've found missiles to be a real threat, is when they're coming from a support station, because those have:
- A ton of lasers for short range
- Massive amounts of armor and hull
- A repair field
- A repair drone
- Missiles that can apparently loop around despite you being in the dead-zone.
- HARPEX

Support Stations are losing most of their offensive weaponry in the Tier system, so this is no longer going to be a factor anymore.

Quote:

Oh and Ganglias because the missiles are invisible even though you got 2 ships running a total of 6 ECCM

Actually, its pretty funny that Kluth are the only faction whom can viably use long range weapons because of the following.

1: Their fighters dont suck.

2: Their missiles are immune to most point defense solutions.

3: They can cloak and laugh if a CQC ship point-jumps them.

4: Their targets cannot cloak to avoid missiles.

Goto the website of Novacat
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-19 07:47   
Well, normally, if an assault dread jumps a ganglia, the ganglia will short jump away, and continue on attacking the now discharged assault dread, potentially killing it before it can get away.

If that AD has backup, then the ganglia jumps and immediately cloaks, repositions, waits for the JD to recharge, and begins another attack.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-04-19 08:39   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 07:37, Novacat wrote:

Actually, its pretty funny that Kluth are the only faction whom can viably use long range weapons because of the following.

1: Their fighters dont suck.

2: Their missiles are immune to most point defense solutions.

3: They can cloak and laugh if a CQC ship point-jumps them.

4: Their targets cannot cloak to avoid missiles.

im really starting to think novacat doesn't play much enough to understand how luth work.

1 luth fighters do suck, and are limited, once we cloak all our fighters return to base. they also do the same damage as the human counterparts.

2. missles arn't immune, ai, and cluster of ships have no problem screening em.

3. yes luth ships can cloak to get outta unfavorable combat between cloak, and jump drive. but when we cloak in CQC fights we take alot of damage while getting outta close range.

4> while our targets can't cloak to avoid missles they can run good mix of ships to screen missles. problem being is most players thing stations and AD/EAD is the only way to go.

Email Borgie
Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-19 11:36   
As much as the cloak subject is a hot one and one I would like to discuss. Please try and relate your posts to the OP about dreadnaughts being a deciding factor.

Cloak is directly related to the dreadnaught subject, what people have to keep in mind is that I used K'luth as an example in this thread. At different times of the year, with different game builds and changes the races swap. ICC was dominant when I started, shortly followed by UGTO.

Someone said ealier in this 'debate' that a problem with K'luth dread numbers is the inability for them to be afraid of faster ships when they can cloak.
- Someone with good tracking skills and a small ship can easily track a K'luth ship but usually end up being deep fried when the K'luth player gets bored, uncloaks and [insert spacebar].

On the subject of missiles being ineffective on K'luth, it is a real bonus to the race. It means that their normally weak armour isn't destroyed almost instantly from ICC volleys.
- You can easily 'depth charge' the area the K'luth fleet is in with a missile ship. You might not hit the enemy but missiles tend to fly around their target if it happens to be made up. (be very very careful of friendly fire)

An example I used to do as follows:
K'luth would invade a planet and would situation themselves at that planet in a cluster of other celestials. As we are in a cluster I would realise planet interdictors prevented point jumps, so got into my Missile Dreadnaught. Instead of complaining I had no targets I simply targeted an area near the planet where I last saw the K'luth and fired. The missiles would go to the destination, miss the target (because there was no target) then fly around in circles until they hit or expired. This caused the K'luth in the area to move or die.
It might also lead them to uncloak to shoot back, at which point your allies in the fleet can shoot.

Let us also not forget that if you make K'luth vulnerable to missiles everyone would fly missile ships. (Don't question it, you know the only reason you don't fly mass M-dreads is because you can't hit the lobsters)

I believe ship limitation is really something to be considered but you must understand I (personally) love flying dreadnaughts/stations and larger ships. The old argument of "If I want to fly a dreadnaught I should be able to fly a dreadnaught" doesn't hold weight next to making the game more appealing to team effort and new players. There is also the fact that there happens to be a lot of different types and classes of ships which are cheaper to use (in prestige and resources) and are equally as useful. Yes you may have ranked yourself up to be able to fly a dreadnaught, contratulations. That does not mean however that everyone should be flying a dreadnaught.

A pack of cruisers is faster, more enjoyable and equally (if not more) dangerous than dreadnaughts. It is also cheaper and quicker to use/get used to.

-=-=-=-

As sad as it is for me to reveal this to you, those of you who are not aware of this fact, it is simply 'impossible' to fully balance all sides of the coin. That's it.. There is nothing more to say.
The reason is because once you change something it has direct effects on something you could not have calculated due to the inter-weaved game mechanics/code/tactics inherent in the game which will always be there.

What we're looking at is the reason why dreadnaughts are dominant in the MV and why I personally believe new players get the worst out of the situation in the MV, being relegated to the scenario server. This in itself can have dire consequences on the player base and future survival of the game. We want new players and greeting a new player with 'V+Spacebar' from a dreadnaught is disgusting and immediately offputting.

I wish to summarise ideas mentioned so far (please keep in mind I have not read EVERY SINGLE reply to this thread and if your suggestion is not noted then please simply bullet point it afterwards and i'll update it.
Once we have a list of thoughts I will edit the orriginal OP post to reflect this for easier reading. This in turn will help the admins/mods/programmers/players understand the points raised and then think on them

Current suggestions:
- Suggestion to introduce a race balancing effect to the MV similar to the scenario server.
- Introduce a minimum jump range distance to prevent 'point jumping' (which is in itself directly linked to the dreadnaught population)
- Change assault dreadnaughts to be more of a specific weapon (like all current ships) than a 'One Spacebar Fits All'.
- Introduce to the game that smaller ships hit harder against larger ones. (at this point, with the changes being made to ship designs and layouts it is probably already in motion)
- Limit the dreadnaughts in a fleet. (This one is the most controversial in my opinion but would solve future issues. A problem to be considered is that even if you balance the assault dreadnaughts and make them harder to be used in all situations you will still have a fleet of dreadnaughts, it will just be mixed instead of all Assault class.)

[ This Message was edited by: Okkam's Razor (Silenthunter13) on 2013-04-19 11:40 ]

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-19 13:37   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 08:39, Borgie wrote:

1 luth fighters do suck, and are limited, once we cloak all our fighters return to base. they also do the same damage as the human counterparts.

Luth fighters arent great, but they are far better than UGTO/ICC fighters which are trash. At least, that is what I was informed from Brood/Ganglia pilots.

Quote:

2. missles arn't immune, ai, and cluster of ships have no problem screening em.

I never said fully immune, I said mostly immune. Its possible to intercept Kluth missiles, it is just far more difficult than ICC/UGTO missiles.

Quote:

3. yes luth ships can cloak to get outta unfavorable combat between cloak, and jump drive. but when we cloak in CQC fights we take alot of damage while getting outta close range.

But you still survive.

Quote:

4> while our targets can't cloak to avoid missles they can run good mix of ships to screen missles. problem being is most players thing stations and AD/EAD is the only way to go.

Players are not stupid. They will use the most effective ship possible. If players are gravitating towards AD/EAD/Station spam, than there is a reason for it.

Quote:
On 2013-04-19 11:36, Okkam's Razor (Silenthunter13) wrote:
Let us also not forget that if you make K'luth vulnerable to missiles everyone would fly missile ships. (Don't question it, you know the only reason you don't fly mass M-dreads is because you can't hit the lobsters)

If more people were motivated to fly missile dreads, wouldnt that be a good thing? Am I the only one here who considers the fact that assault dreads are the default choice a bad thing?

Quote:

A pack of cruisers is faster, more enjoyable and equally (if not more) dangerous than dreadnaughts. It is also cheaper and quicker to use/get used to.

No, this is not true at all. Jumpdrives makes the speed argument irrellevant, and a pack of EADs/ADs is far more dangerous than a pack of heavy cruisers or assault cruisers.

Quote:

As sad as it is for me to reveal this to you, those of you who are not aware of this fact, it is simply 'impossible' to fully balance all sides of the coin. That's it.. There is nothing more to say.
The reason is because once you change something it has direct effects on something you could not have calculated due to the inter-weaved game mechanics/code/tactics inherent in the game which will always be there.

It is impossible to fully balance, yes, but it is possible to at least balance it to the point where its too close to call. At the moment that balance does not exist. CQC ships are reigning supreme and Kluth are continually dominating the killboards.

Quote:

- Suggestion to introduce a race balancing effect to the MV similar to the scenario server.

Horrible idea. The problem with this is that people tend to play one race in the MV, and if someone gets forced into playing a different race they will likely just quit and play later.

Quote:

- Introduce a minimum jump range distance to prevent 'point jumping' (which is in itself directly linked to the dreadnaught population)

The problems with this have already been pointed out.

Quote:

- Change assault dreadnaughts to be more of a specific weapon (like all current ships) than a 'One Spacebar Fits All'.

Again, it likely wont change much in the long run, ADs are dominant because CQC is dominant.

Quote:

- Introduce to the game that smaller ships hit harder against larger ones. (at this point, with the changes being made to ship designs and layouts it is probably already in motion)

Darkspace already tried this in 1.483. The end result was disasterous. Smaller ships cannot surpass larger ships or else nobody will ever fly the larger ships and you end up with cruiserspace/destroyerspace instead of dreadspace.

Quote:

- Limit the dreadnaughts in a fleet. (This one is the most controversial in my opinion but would solve future issues. A problem to be considered is that even if you balance the assault dreadnaughts and make them harder to be used in all situations you will still have a fleet of dreadnaughts, it will just be mixed instead of all Assault class.)

Again, it will just result in people quitting to either play later, or not play at all, and this game cant afford to hemmorage any more players than it already has, Faustus can barely pay the server bills as is.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-04-19 13:46   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 05:00, Fluttershy wrote:
Beacons get enveloped in whatever cloaking field the KLuth use.
It does make it harder for the cloak, though, and it uses more energy.

What annoys me about the K'Luth, though, is that the human factions do not get low ranked heavy-hitters until the assault cruiser, in order to better deal with them.

Let's face it, cannon frigates/destroyers don't do crap to the K'Luth.
One Siphon against 6 players in anything lower than a cruiser = zero damns given.

Isn't that cute.....BUT IT'S WRONG! And it's that kind of thinking that gets things nerfed that shouldn't be nerfed.

There's been plenty of times a few people have gotten together in Scouts using ECM and have kicked the crap out of luth Dreadnoughts when they've decloaked to attack someone else. Not much is funnier than seeing 3 Stealth Corvettes hull a Siphon and force it to retreat in the time it takes for the cooldown on Cloak to end, or even die if it continues to ignore them.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-04-19 14:24   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 13:37, Novacat wrote:

Luth fighters arent great, but they are far better than UGTO/ICC fighters which are trash. At least, that is what I was informed from Brood/Ganglia pilots.

This is partially true, luth interceptors have 30% more damage output than ICC/UGTO. Aside from that they're exactly the same.

Quote:

I never said fully immune, I said mostly immune. Its possible to intercept Kluth missiles, it is just far more difficult than ICC/UGTO missiles.

Actually, a lot of the time it's 100% impossible to intercept shrouds. The ECM mechanic is glitchy and often even if the area is flooded with ECCM the missiles are never visible.

Quote:

No, this is not true at all. Jumpdrives makes the speed argument irrellevant, and a pack of EADs/ADs is far more dangerous than a pack of heavy cruisers or assault cruisers.

Untrue. I'm going to guess you weren't around to see the ICC Cruiser wolfpacks that were going around before ECM was nerfed to crap. A couple Border Cruisers running ECM combined with an AC or 2 was an amazing combination that could handle anything thrown at them. Packs of Cruisers are still workable, it just takes a lot more coordination, teamwork, and a bit of patience, which is something lacking in the current playerbase.

Quote:

-------
The problems with this have already been pointed out.

Point jumping is in itself a valid tactic, it's just too easy to do from close range. Eliminating point jumping entirely is a bad solution and an interdictor platform that has no offense or defense will simply be blown up by a Siphon decloaking infront of it while his buddies attack other ships. It won't change anything aside from ICC/UGTO balance.

Yeah putting a minimum range on jumps may make it harder for Stations to get around in tight clusters but maybe that just means a Station isn't the best choice in that kind of situation? Or just ask a teammate to hop on a command ship to WH you there, because this is a team based game.

Quote:

--------
Again, it will just result in people quitting to either play later, or not play at all, and this game cant afford to hemmorage any more players than it already has, Faustus can barely pay the server bills as is.

Yeah pretty much. Class limits WOULD be the ideal solution, but the "entitlement" crowd would bitch, whine, and quit.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-19 14:33   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 07:28, Soulless. wrote:
@Kenny, so a station whos top speed has been reduced to 3.5 Gu/s. Is supposed to slow boat it to a planet because of a new limiter that is supposed to stop them, from dropping on the heads of ships nearby. Do you have any idea whats thats gonna cause?

Here for simple sake. A station is 2k away from a planet, when it suddenly needs to get back to help his teammates to Slow Boat would take him Ten minutes! now to even jump away out of range then Back to the planet take almost half as long and would leave him vulnerable. And with the changes to stations its gonna be even worse for him to be alone.

So looking at that...not a very good idea right off hand, not a bad one either but not good. Would be much better to tie it in with some sort of cooldown related to the in/out of combat timer. So if your out of combat you can make those shorter leaps, and if your in combat you cant

My question to that is, Why in the WORLD would your station be sitting 2k from a planet away from your teamates IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?! unless you slow boated it there yourself, in wich i congratulate you, you have lot of patience

thats like possibly the worst Example ever!!!!! no offense <3
PS: do remember that Station aand the CMD dread can use Wormholes to aid allies, especially since CMD while have both JD and WH (i think the statiosn too) Seems people forget alot about those

@Novacat, You seem to worry for the long range ship with this whole limited jump range thing. but let me say one thing.

in ANY combat, if the long range initiate the battle, then he's dead meat, everyone will focuse on it. The wise idea is to make the mid/close range ship Start the battle, so the enemy focuses on them, and them jum in your own optimale range and pummel them away. sicne they can't jump back to you, and if they try jumping far only to jump again to get you, then chances are they already lost the battle and probably the planet they were defending, and yur probably gone

If you jump your MD away from a CQC ship and start pummeling away, and then other ships comign from other planets jumps you, thats your own dam mistake for initiating, and even worst if your without support,a battle. you best plan would be to retreat all together. i wouldn't make a short jump, thats asking for another hidden enemy ship to jump you as soon as you did, thus screwing you over
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-19 15:03   
Due to not wanting to argue with Novacat and the massive takeover by cloak complaints I have now summarised this thread in the OP.
I have read pages 1 through 9 and summarised the points RELATED to the thread title with a brief description of any relevant thoughts.

I invite the devs/mods to edit this page if they so wish in order to keep up with thoughts on the subject or even add answers.

This should in turn prevent further threadnaughts and help players who might complain/suggest in future the dreadnaught problem mentioned here.

Thank you for your thoughts, keep them coming.

PLEASE READ THE ORRIGINAL POST IN THE THREAD

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-19 16:35   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 14:24, Talien wrote:
This is partially true, luth interceptors have 30% more damage output than ICC/UGTO. Aside from that they're exactly the same.

Better is still better.

Quote:

Untrue. I'm going to guess you weren't around to see the ICC Cruiser wolfpacks that were going around before ECM was nerfed to crap. A couple Border Cruisers running ECM combined with an AC or 2 was an amazing combination that could handle anything thrown at them. Packs of Cruisers are still workable, it just takes a lot more coordination, teamwork, and a bit of patience, which is something lacking in the current playerbase.

I do not care about then. If I wanted to talk about then I could mention the days of 1.483 when Destroyers were soloing Dreadnoughts.

Quote:

Point jumping is in itself a valid tactic, it's just too easy to do from close range. Eliminating point jumping entirely is a bad solution and an interdictor platform that has no offense or defense will simply be blown up by a Siphon decloaking infront of it while his buddies attack other ships. It won't change anything aside from ICC/UGTO balance.

Which will not be an issue if you rebalance cloak as well.

Quote:

Yeah putting a minimum range on jumps may make it harder for Stations to get around in tight clusters but maybe that just means a Station isn't the best choice in that kind of situation? Or just ask a teammate to hop on a command ship to WH you there, because this is a team based game.

This is true, and as I said it is a fairly minor complaint, but nobody has yet to address my main complaints with the minimum jump suggestion.

Quote:

Yeah pretty much. Class limits WOULD be the ideal solution, but the "entitlement" crowd would bitch, whine, and quit.

Which is why you find a better way of doing stuff.

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-04-19 17:09   
Don't ICC and Ugto Fighters have better range and Damage output, which would offset the Luth Interceptors.

And the fact that Luth lack a Carrier Dreadnought.

Also Destroyers still can solo Dreadnoughts, and pretty much have been able to since i started playing 7 years ago.
Even Interceptor and Assault Frigs will given the time and ammo.

It might take longer to kill, but that doesn't mean it can't.

Speed/Turning and the time for the Jump Recharge means it's pretty much a given, the rest lies with the pilot.

[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2013-04-19 17:11 ]

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-19 17:26   
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 17:09, The Fridge wrote:
And the fact that Luth lack a Carrier Dreadnought.

Brood has 4 fighter bays, which, combined with 30% extra damage, allows them to put off about the same amount of firepower as your average ICC Command Carrier. On top of this the Brood has additional weaponry as well, while the CC only has 6 fighters and nothing else.

Quote:

Also Destroyers still can solo Dreadnoughts, and pretty much have been able to since i started playing 7 years ago.
Even Interceptor and Assault Frigs will given the time and ammo.

No, they cant. Not if the dreadnought pilot is even remotely aware of whats going on. Wheras in 1.483, a destroyer could solo a dreadnought while both were fighting their best.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023725 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR